Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 10:37 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,770,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Since you're the one imploring others to "educate themselves" and to develop "serious comprehension of analytics", let's indulge your silliness with actual data.

Let's compare Metro Pittsburgh to Metro Detroit, probably the nation's punching bag metro. I mean, if Pittsburgh is performing better than "every metro" than certainly it performs better than the "worst".

Population trends (as of 2016):

Metro Detroit is growing per Census (MSA and CSA). Metro Pittsburgh is declining per Census (MSA and CSA).

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Housing starts (as of 2017):

10,011 units of new housing in Detroit MSA
1,868 units of new housing in Pittsburgh MSA

https://www.census.gov/construction/...t3yu201712.txt

Economic growth (as of 2016)

Metro Detroit has higher annual rate of economic growth than Metro Pittsburgh.

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/reg...ann_glance.htm

So Metro Pittsburgh is trailing even Metro Detroit on major Census categories. Yet the claim is that Pittsburgh outperforms all the Rust Belt metros. We aren't exactly comparing to Seattle here. Can you say homerism?

you don't even seem to be able to grasp the whole point of this thread. please take a deep breath an then read the thread title. then look at the stats you are posting. do you see a problem there? you should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 10:40 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:
A. Transit has nothing to do with economic health, B. Pittsburgh has crap transit by most standards, C. The difference in transit riders between Pittsburgh and Detroit is pretty marginal.

Yes, quite "disturbing." Posting of actual Census data = "fascination to trash Pittsburgh".

City homers are funny.

I do not even live in Pittsburgh, and never have lived in Pittsburgh, but nice try.

I will let this go, as the entire USA knows quite easily off hand Detroit is at the bottom of the barrel as far as large US cities go. Its not quite hard, ask anyone.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't have the numbers handy for all of the metros, but Pittsburgh is the only rust belt metro where the core city has a higher educational attainment (40.7%) than the MSA as a whole (31.9%).

Obviously Pittsburgh being the "college town" for the entire metro is part of the reason - lots of graduate students relocate here for school. But you don't see this dynamic anywhere else.
Where'd you get those numbers? I've been looking for them, all I can find is MSA.

Seriously? John's Hopkins (Baltimore); Washington U (St. Louis); Case Western (Cleveland); Wayne State (Detroit); U of Cincinnati (Cincinnati) don't count?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
you don't even seem to be able to grasp the whole point of this thread. please take a deep breath an then read the thread title. then look at the stats you are posting. do you see a problem there? you should.
I didn't start the metro-area conversation. That was a Pittsburgh booster. Threads evolve.

Yet, curiously, you seem to have a problem with posting of actual data, while no problem with empty boosterish nonsense. Wonder why?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Since you're the one imploring others to "educate themselves" and to develop "serious comprehension of analytics", let's indulge your silliness with actual data.

Let's compare Metro Pittsburgh to Metro Detroit, probably the nation's punching bag metro. I mean, if Pittsburgh is performing better than "every metro" than certainly it performs better than the "worst".

Population trends (as of 2016):

Metro Detroit is growing per Census (MSA and CSA). Metro Pittsburgh is declining per Census (MSA and CSA).

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Housing starts (as of 2017):

10,011 units of new housing in Detroit MSA
1,868 units of new housing in Pittsburgh MSA

https://www.census.gov/construction/...t3yu201712.txt

Economic growth (as of 2016)

Metro Detroit has higher annual rate of economic growth than Metro Pittsburgh.

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/reg...ann_glance.htm

So Metro Pittsburgh is trailing even Metro Detroit on major Census categories. Yet the claim is that Pittsburgh outperforms all the Rust Belt metros. We aren't exactly comparing to Seattle here. Can you say homerism?
However if you look at the city limits Pittsburgh has lost like 28,000 since 2000 and Detroit close to 300,000, while the Detroit metro as a macro unit is doing much better than Pittsburgh's that's the premis of this tread.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:53 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Where'd you get those numbers? I've been looking for them, all I can find is MSA.

Seriously? John's Hopkins (Baltimore); Washington U (St. Louis); Case Western (Cleveland); Wayne State (Detroit); U of Cincinnati (Cincinnati) don't count?
You can look them up through American Factfinder if you desire. It's a bit unwieldy though.

But no, IIRC in all of those cases educational attainment is lower in the core city than the metro as a whole. Much of this has to do with how the nonwhite populations of those cities are much larger. IIRC if you look only at white educational attainment within core cities Pittsburgh and Cincinnati aren't that different, although Pittsburgh is still way ahead of the rest of the Rust Belt.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I didn't start the metro-area conversation. That was a Pittsburgh booster. Threads evolve.

Yet, curiously, you seem to have a problem with posting of actual data, while no problem with empty boosterish nonsense. Wonder why?
You have a problem with reading actual data which is the most hilarious part of this thread. If you would actually read something you would understand the source from the report is U.S Census data and Moodys Analytics.

Since you refuse to read anything of value and put your blinders on I copied and pasted some of the report for you:

Pittsburgh's percent change in:
Productivity: +9.5% (4th of 100)

Standard of living: +13.1% (6th of 100)

Average annual wage: +8.7% (7th of 100)

Detroit's percent change in:
Productivity: +1.0% (33rd of 100)

Standard of living: +12.4% (8th of 100)

Average annual wage: +4.9% (35th of 100)

https://www.brookings.edu/interactiv...oard/#V1G15980

Detroit metrics are not necessarily bad. But Pittsburgh out ranks Detroit in terms of skill development, prosperity and income and wage growth, its industries are far more robust. Measuring a region on one metric (population growth) is absolutely asinine.

Should I remind you where Detroit is flocking for Autonomous tech. Oh that's right! Pittsburgh & CMU!

Should I remind you who Ford is partnering with? CMU. How about Uber? How about Amazon? Who was a finalist in DARPA autonomous challenge? Thats right CMU. How about DARPA Robotics? Oh thats right; Pittsburgh and CMU! Your ignorance is just astounding NOLA. Your population numbers are so one dimensional it just flabbergast how you can accept ignorance as fact. Sadly though that is not surprising when we have a leader who spews 'alternative facts' as the truth. Which is clearly catching on to the everyman.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:01 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
However if you look at the city limits Pittsburgh has lost like 28,000 since 2000 and Detroit close to 300,000, while the Detroit metro as a macro unit is doing much better than Pittsburgh's that's the premis of this tread.
I don't think anyone would disagree that Detroit fared much worse than Pittsburgh back during the auto collapse. Detroit was in epic free-fall, with catastrophic job losses.

But we're talking 2018. Is Detroit faring worse than Pittsburgh right now? The data would indicate no.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:09 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone would disagree that Detroit fared much worse than Pittsburgh back during the auto collapse. Detroit was in epic free-fall, with catastrophic job losses.

But we're talking 2018. Is Detroit faring worse than Pittsburgh right now? The data would indicate no.
If you don't think that the City of Detroit got hit harder by deindustrialization/ automation between 1970-2018 than the City of Pittsburgh, while the Metro of Detroit faired better than the metro of Pittsburgh over the same time period I would like to know what data you are looking at.

The fact is the City of Pittsburgh retained more of its population and has a lower poverty rate than the city of Detroit while metro number are flipped. and that's true for Pittsburgh vs Cleveland and Pittsburgh vs Milwaukee, and Pittsburgh vs Cincinnati

Old 02-07-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If you don't think that the City of Detroit got hit harder by deindustrialization/ automation between 1970-2018 than the City of Pittsburgh, while the Metro of Detroit faired better than the metro of Pittsburgh over the same time period I would like to know what data you are looking at.

The fact is the City of Pittsburgh retained more of its population and has a lower poverty rate than the city of Detroit while metro number are flipped. and that's true for Pittsburgh vs Cleveland and Pittsburgh vs Milwaukee, and Pittsburgh vs Cincinnati
Btownboss. NOLA is ignorant. He wants to spew population figures over any meaningful data. I have attempted to share this report with him multiple times. He blatantly refuses to acknowledge or read the data sets within it. Sad by his standards.

https://www.brookings.edu/interactiv...oard/#V1G15980
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City