Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for black/mulatto Hispanic newcomers
Atlanta area 14 45.16%
DC area 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 04:13 PM

368 posts, read 454,174 times

Advertisements

What is the best city for Caribbean & Sub Saharan African people?
When I say Caribbean people, I mean Spanish Caribbean (PR, DR, Cuba, Panama), English Caribbean (Jamaica, Trinidad, Guyana, Barbados, Bahamas, Belize), French Caribbean (Haiti).

These groups heavily concentrate in Florida and the Northeast (especially NY). Outside Florida & the Northeast, the Atlanta and DC metro areas have some of the largest numbers of these groups in the country. Both Atlanta & DC are known to be financial meccas for Black Americans. In fact, PG County in the Maryland portion of the DC area has some of the wealthiest predominately black communities in the country. But what about Jamaican and Haitian immigrants, the vast majority are black, or Puerto Rican and Dominican im/migrants most of whom are mixed mulatto/triracial.

Are these cities also considered meccas for black/mulatto hispanic immigrants from Latin America, the Caribbean, & Africa? Or just African Americans?

Also which is the better city for Caribbean Hispanics, West Indians, & Africans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 05:11 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I’d say that it is even.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:06 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,422,723 times
DC area. There are already Caribbean immigrants here that are well integrated with the greater African American community.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:46 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Atlanta is most widely known as a city for Black Americans versus Black immigrants from varying parts of Latin America, South America and the Caribbean. DC has an extensive and numerous variety of Black immigrants from West Africa and North Africa along with Jamaican and other East Caribbean nationalities, plus Central/South America including Brazilians and Panamanians.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:36 AM

617 posts, read 552,613 times
I think both are about equal.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:53 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
DC area. There are already Caribbean immigrants here that are well integrated with the greater African American community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Atlanta is most widely known as a city for Black Americans versus Black immigrants from varying parts of Latin America, South America and the Caribbean. DC has an extensive and numerous variety of Black immigrants from West Africa and North Africa along with Jamaican and other East Caribbean nationalities, plus Central/South America including Brazilians and Panamanians.
Both of you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Atlanta's Black population is quite diverse and has large Caribbean, Latin, and native African populations. Just because you watch Love and Hip Hop it doesn't mean you "know" Atlanta.

With that said, it would be even in my eyes OP. Both are good for all of the above groups.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:37 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Both of you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Atlanta's Black population is quite diverse and has large Caribbean, Latin, and native African populations. Just because you watch Love and Hip Hop it doesn't mean you "know" Atlanta.
I think you should probably retract the claws on this one; neither one said anything bad about Atlanta here but clearly they are just more familiar with DC.

That said, here is some useful info on the subject:

Statistical Portrait of the U.S. Black Immigrant Population | Pew Research Center
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/arti...-united-states

Old 10-20-2017, 09:55 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think you should probably retract the claws on this one; neither one said anything bad about Atlanta here but clearly they are just more familiar with DC.

That said, here is some useful info on the subject:

Statistical Portrait of the U.S. Black Immigrant Population | Pew Research Center
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/arti...-united-states
I'll keep my claws out. It's quite frustrating when people cast this narrative that Atlanta's Black population is one dimensional and not diverse.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:06 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'll keep my claws out. It's quite frustrating when people cast this narrative that Atlanta's Black population is one dimensional and not diverse.
Except nobody said that.

908Boi didn't even mention Atlanta so I'm not even sure why you even quoted him. Kyle19125 said that Atlanta is mainly known as a city for Black Americans as opposed to being a hotspot for Black immigrants, and that's largely true. However, that doesn't mean that Atlanta doesn't get any Black immigration because that's not the case.

Honestly, outside of NYC, Boston, and Miami, I'd be hard pressed to consider any metro area's Black population as truly diverse. According to the 2013 stats as shown in the first link I posted, Atlanta's foreign-born Black population is 8% and DC's is 15%. That's not anymore "diverse" than a metro area with an overall 92% White/8% Black or 85% White/15% Black population IMO. Obviously there will be areas in both metros (mainly the core) where immigrants tend to cluster and will be more diverse, but overall? That's a different story.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:37 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Both would be good. Although D.C seems to have a wider variety of Latin American and Caribbean immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City