Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best suburban region
Northern Virginia 61 49.59%
Northern Dallas Suburbs 21 17.07%
Northern Atlanta Suburbs 41 33.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 09:38 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Northern Virginia by far except for affordability, which I’d give to Northern Atlanta Suburbs.

1. Schools - NOVA w/Northern DFW second
2. Shopping and dining - Northern DFW, NOVA Close second
3. Housing variety - NOVA
4. Affordability - Northern ATL. Northern DFW isn’t the bargain that it used to be
5. Walkability - NOVA
6. Semi-urban suburbs - NOVA
7. Traffic - Northern DFW. Most efficient freeway/tollway/arterial system by far ofnthe three
8. Scenery - Tie between NOVA and Northern ATL due to the Piedmont scenery in both. Northern DFW is ugly, featureless prairie
9. Which could you see living in? All three, but my personal preference would be NOVA, then Northern ATL, and Northern DFW last
Actually, I’d prefer Northern ATL suburbs over NOVA, but Northern DFW would still be last. I lived in the Northern Suburbs of Atlanta for a long time and it seemed a bit more welcoming and less of a rat race than NOVA overall. Traffic was bad, but not quite as bad as NOVA. I like NOVAs amenities and proximity to DC though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 02:59 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Actually, I’d prefer Northern ATL suburbs over NOVA, but Northern DFW would still be last. I lived in the Northern Suburbs of Atlanta for a long time and it seemed a bit more welcoming and less of a rat race than NOVA overall. Traffic was bad, but not quite as bad as NOVA. I like NOVAs amenities and proximity to DC though.
This seems to be what a lot of people say. I suppose northern DFW is in between the two

Old 10-22-2017, 03:12 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Supposed we could add a discussion about which is the most inviting.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:53 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
This seems to be what a lot of people say. I suppose northern DFW is in between the two
Atlanta and Dallas prosperous suburbs KNOW their place in the metro hierarchy. It's an "us" vs "everyone else" thing moreso. If that makes sense. NOVA is a different. They're much more snobbish. And by FAR.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Yes, I'd say Northern DFW would be somewhat in the middle due to the Great Plains/Midwest influence and West Coast transplants there, so it doesn't have as much southern hospitality as the Northern ATL burbs, but it's far friendlier than NOVA by far. A lot of Northern ATL has been influenced by the Northeastern and Midwestern transplants and it looks the most similar to NOVA, which historically leaned more southern, but has a much more overt Northeastern influence than Northern ATL and (especially) Northern DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Atlanta and Dallas prosperous suburbs KNOW their place in the metro hierarchy. It's an "us" vs "everyone else" thing moreso. If that makes sense. NOVA is a different. They're much more snobbish. And by FAR.
The entire DMV area is fragmented, and yes, NOVAites tend to be the most snobbish of the area. There's a huge divide between the Maryland Suburbanites vs. NOVA vs. DC. It's a huge job center and wealth generator for the entire area, so there's a lot of bitterness and rancor from other parts of the metro area, many of whom have to commute into Virginia for work. Yes, there are snobby people in Maryland and DC (especially as the city continues to gentrify and increasingly becomes a playground for Ivy-leaguers), but I find a lot of people in NOVA to be outright condescending and patronizing. It's not quite as bad the further you go into Prince William and Loudoun Counties though.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:12 PM

492 posts, read 535,479 times
As someone who lived in both North Atlanta and Northern Virginia I would pick North Atlanta.. The schools are stellar in NOVA but for rest everything North ATL..

Old 10-22-2017, 06:26 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
This is absolutely false. Every suburb in DFW is in it for themselves, even though their elected officials preach the gospel of "regionalism." You should see all of the proposals for Amazon. Frisco is the worst offender and in their lame Amazon pitch, they barely even mentioned Dallas! Although NOVA may have a similar self-centered mentality, they at least offer a higher QOL than the DFW suburbs, IMO. My vote goes to NOVA.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Well that kinda makes sense as NoVA is VA's largest "metro" so the state throws its weight behind the region when it comes to economic development deals and the like. Atlanta's and Dallas's suburbs are within the same state so it's a bit of a different dynamic.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
This is absolutely false. Every suburb in DFW is in it for themselves, even though their elected officials preach the gospel of "regionalism." You should see all of the proposals for Amazon. Frisco is the worst offender and in their lame Amazon pitch, they barely even mentioned Dallas! Although NOVA may have a similar self-centered mentality, they at least offer a higher QOL than the DFW suburbs, IMO. My vote goes to NOVA.
And "Frisclosure" doesn't even hold a candle to Plano in terms of corporate headquarters and relocations, WTH...

Old 10-22-2017, 07:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Nova > North ATL > North Dallas

Nova wins mainly because of Alexandria and Arlington, Metro access, and the density. The education, progressiveness, and diversity is great, and Gravelly Park is one of my favorites. NoVa also has Nandos and Atlanta and Dallas don't, so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City