Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best suburban region
Northern Virginia 61 49.59%
Northern Dallas Suburbs 21 17.07%
Northern Atlanta Suburbs 41 33.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 04:26 AM

125 posts, read 83,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Ok so let's talk about everyone's favorite thing on CD......suburban sprawl. In all seriousness though I do feel like these three regions are very well respected as good places to live and raise a family. They are all in successful metro regions with good economies to. For argument sake Northern Virginia includes Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William county. I'm not including Arlington and Alexandria because to me they are urban areas that are basically part of D.C. Northern Dallas suburbs is Collin and Denton county. Northern Atlanta suburbs is North Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, and Forsyth county. Dunwoody can also be included. Nothing inside the beltway (perimeter) on any. Which is the best based on these categories, also try not to base this strictly on which major city you like the best but rather which suburban region is the best on its own.
1. Schools
2. Shopping and dining
3. Housing variety
4. Affordability
5. Walkability
6. Semi-urban suburbs
7. Traffic
8. Scenery
9. Which could you see living in?
1. I know that the Dallas suburbs have some great schools. The schools are good in some parts of Atlanta's suburbs such as Alpharetta and Johns Creek. Thomas Jefferson in Northern Virginia is a good school but from what I've heard the education in NoVA is really going downhill with overcrowding and they can't attract good teachers in such a high cost of living area.
This order: Dallas burbs, Atlanta burbs, and finally NoVA

2. All three areas have good shopping but everything is online now. I just bought my usual perfume from Nieman Marcus's website. I haven't been to a mall in a year. Dining varies. Northern Virginia is next door to D.C. which has some Michelin star restaurants. They also have some Korean and Ethiopian communities with lots of Korean and Ethiopian restaurants in Annandale and Alexandria. The suburbs of Atlanta have access to Buford Highway which has more international (Asian, South American) food options than the most diverse cities in California from what I've heard. Atlanta also has the largest airport and the airport has so many fine dining restaurants that has won so many international dining awards! I know - a strange destination for an amazing meal! Dallas has Deep Ellum and great tacos! They're all very good in their own right. All three cities are so international and diverse now that you can buy any type of cuisine from duck confit to pupusas in any of their suburbs.
Tie.

3. Housing is an ugly eyesore in Northern Virginia and very expensive unless you're open to a commute from Hades. The lack of zoning in Texas is a concern. Housing in the Atlanta northern burbs varies. It's affordable and state of the art (modern and updated) for the most part. Lots of cookie cutter housing in all three places.
Atlanta wins and blows the other two away.

4. Dallas wins when it comes to affordability although Atlanta isn't far behind. Texas has no state income tax but the sales tax and property tax isn't great. Atlanta has a state income tax but the sales tax and property tax isn't bad.
This order: Dallas, Atlanta.

5. I don't think that suburbs in general are very walkable. Alpharetta has a walkable downtown and shopping district. A few Northern Virginia suburbs are dense and walkable but the Metro is never on time, so you won't go too far on foot and you'll likely run late all the time or you won't get there at all. Don't know about Dallas.
None of the suburbs are truly walkable but a few Northern Virginia suburbs (Arlington, Crystal City) are walkable.

6. Semi-urban suburbs. You have pockets of these in Northern Virginia and Alpharetta. Condos, restaurants, yoga studio, and shopping on the same block. I don't know of anything like this in the Dallas suburbs though.
This order: Northern Virginia, Atlanta burbs.

7. Traffic is bad everywhere. Atlanta and Dallas seemed to have far less aggro drivers though.
Tie between Atlanta and Dallas. Northern Virginia has a special brand of road rage - very angry people who came out of the womb mad.
Tie

8. Scenery. Hands down Atlanta - so lush and green. Northern Virginia is an ugly built-up eyesore for the most part, as are the suburbs of Dallas (nothing there...just boring prairie) and the lack of zoning makes it even more weird.
Atlanta - no competition.

9. I left my heart in Atlanta. I would probably not go way out into the burbs unless I had kids and then I'd pick Alpharetta/Johns Creek. I'd stay closer to the Perimeter.
Atlanta

10. People. I would add one more category because people are important in any place. Personally, I like the people in Dallas and its burbs the best. Extremely polite and friendly. Then, Atlanta burbs. Also polite and friendly but far less so than Dallas. Northern Virginia people came out of the womb in a bad mood and aggression is a huge mental health issue there. They hate their life.
This order: Dallas by far, then Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 05:09 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
1. Schools
NOVA > DFW > ATL

2. Shopping and dining
NOVA > DFW > ATL

3. Housing variety
NOVA > ATL > DFW

4. Affordability
ATL > DFW > NOVA

5. Walkability
None of the above

6. Semi-urban suburbs
DFW > NOVA > ATL

7. Traffic
DFW >>>> ATL >> NOVA

8. Scenery
NOVA = ATL >>>>>>> DFW

9. Which could you see living in?
Not sure. I have no desire to be anywhere in the vicinity of D.C. so that nixxes NOVA. DFW and ATL are pretty much even where ATL has what DFW lacks and DFW has what ATL lacks. DFW seems to have more to choose from in terms of living and amenities and has a much much much much much better highway network but Atlanta has much much much much much less bland scenery. Its more a question between how much functionality would you trade for beauty.. DFW has rail transit in the burbs but its nothing to write home about. Atlanta's rail transit doesnt extend to the burbs but would be superior if it did.

While DFW is a bit more like a midwestern (flat) city and more bland in terms of scenery and appeal I highly value the regional coordination in planning seen in that region. I would probably choose it with Alpharetta coming in a close second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_woman View Post
4. Dallas wins when it comes to affordability although Atlanta isn't far behind. Texas has no state income tax but the sales tax and property tax isn't great. Atlanta has a state income tax but the sales tax and property tax isn't bad.
This order: Dallas, Atlanta.
With this one I have to respectfully disagree. DFW has become pretty expensive. Atlanta would probably take DFW in affordability even with the lack of a state tax in TX accounted for because those McMansions come with a hefty property tax tag.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-07-2020 at 05:17 AM..

Old 02-07-2020, 05:40 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
You all are giving semi urban suburbs to DFW? Nova easily should win that. There is nothing like a Old town in Dfw. Or even a Rosslyn.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You all are giving semi urban suburbs to DFW? Nova easily should win that. There is nothing like a Old town in Dfw. Or even a Rosslyn.
Mainly due to the amount of mixed use nodes, consistency in density as well as the metroplex being a large employment hub where D.C. is a bit more centralized.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:51 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Mainly due to the amount of mixed use nodes, consistency in density as well as the metroplex being a large employment hub where D.C. is a bit more centralized.
Yeah it’s a bit more centralized but urban is what I was talking about. I don’t think there is anything like old town in DFW suburbs.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:12 PM

30 posts, read 12,758 times
not sure about Dallas and Atlanta but, NOVA is generally overpriced, overcrowded, and overrated

Old 02-07-2020, 03:40 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
I'm not very familiar with Dallas, but my general impression:

1. Schools- NOVA probably has the best in general. Although, school quality varies more within each area than across it.
2. Shopping and dining- probably pretty even
3. Housing variety- NOVA you have a mix of tree-lined suburban streets, urban condos and townhouses.
4. Affordability- Dallas then Atlanta with a big gap to NOVA in dead last.
5. Walkability- NOVA, Alrington/Alexandria have pockets that pretty much match any city not named NYC, Chi, Bos, SF, etc.
6. Semi-urban suburbs- NOVA, see Old Town Alexandria and Rosslyn-Ballston in Arlington.
7. Traffic- all are pretty bad. NOVA/ATL might be slightly worse than Dallas.
8. Scenery- NOVA/ATL are pretty similar with their leafy, gently rolling topography. NOVA has the waterscapes of the tidal potomac. But, ALT has Lakes and is closer to the foothills of the mountains.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:06 PM

Why are people choosing Dallas as more affordable than Atlanta? Has anyone checked home prices in Westlake / Southlake or Frisco and Western Plano?

Old 02-07-2020, 04:33 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That’s what I was thinking. Plano might be the closest thing to a urban suburb in DFW.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:09 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
DFW

NVA

Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City