Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 10:16 PM

372 posts, read 449,892 times

Advertisements

So I am planning in the next year or so to move. I am from Lafayette, LA and will be finishing graduate school in May of next year. I say in the next year but there is nothing stopping me after May from moving sooner. I would like to have a job before the move but I plan to save up. I wouldn't be alone as my significant other would be moving with me and finishing up his degree as well. So two young African-American professionals looking for nice safe affordable suburbs. Looking to start a family and start new.

Which of these cities have better/nicer suburbs?

Affordability/Cost of Living
Things to do/Amenities
Downtown?(Still want to be able to travel into the city of course and enjoy it)
Safety?
Scenery?
Schools?
Outdoor Activities?
Weather?
Economy?
Housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 10:22 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Either could work, but what it really boils down to IMO is do you prefer 4 distinct seasons? If so, Philly. If weather doesn't really matter, toss a coin.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:06 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Taking everything into consideration that you mentioned, I'd say Atlanta.

Affordability/Cost of Living: Atlanta
Things to do/Amenities: Tie
Downtown?(Still want to be able to travel into the city of course and enjoy it): Philly
Safety?: Tie
Scenery?: Atlanta
Schools?: Philly
Outdoor Activities?: Atlanta
Weather?: Atlanta
Economy?: Atlanta
Housing?: Atlanta

Good luck wherever you end up!

Old 11-05-2017, 05:28 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Affordability/Cost of Living: Atlanta. There are affordable suburbs in Philly, but you get less bang/safety for your buck.

Things to do/Amenities: Philly. This question is subjective to what you want to do, but the Philly burbs have easy access to CC/the rest of the metro via transit, which

Downtown?(Still want to be able to travel into the city of course and enjoy it): Philadelphia. Center City is a top 3 downtown in the USA. As I mentioned, many of the burbs have easy access through transit.

Safety: Atlanta. Both have many safe burbs, but buck-for-buck, Atlanta wins.

Scenery: Philly. This is subjective to taste, but I personally love the rolling hills and scenery of metro Philly, especially up in the Valley Forge/KoP area.

Schools: Philly. Philly burbs have some of the country's best.

Outdoor Activities: Philly. It's actually probably quite even, but Philly has immediate access to a river, and close access to both mountains and the beach. Atlanta has river and close mountain access as well, but I think Atlanta's river is better preserved. However, Atlanta is nearly four hours to the closest beach, whereas Philly is an hour away.

Weather: Subjective. I highly prefer Philly's true four season climate.

Economy: Atlanta. Atlanta is in a true boom. Philly is swinging back, but is not close to Atlanta's level of growth.

Housing: Subjective to your taste. In Atlanta you can get more square feet per dollar. In Philly, you have far more diversity of housing, historic neighborhoods, and beautiful old houses. I prefer Philly.

This match-up is an interesting one. Overall, Philly burbs offer a more established, historic feel, with extensive rail access to Center City. Many Philly burbs at once feel like nearly self-contained small towns, yet have good access to the rest of the metro. Atlanta is more of a booming sunbelt city with a more robust job market and an affordable housing stock, where you can expect a more "quintessential American suburban experience." My preference is for Philadelphia, but there is a reason this is my chosen place of residence.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Either could work, but what it really boils down to IMO is do you prefer 4 distinct seasons? If so, Philly. If weather doesn't really matter, toss a coin.
4 seasons would be nice but its not everything I guess. Being from south Louisiana it would take some getting use to the colder winter as I have never been to the Northeast. I would love to see some actual fall colors lol

Old 11-05-2017, 05:27 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
4 seasons would be nice but its not everything I guess. Being from south Louisiana it would take some getting use to the colder winter as I have never been to the Northeast. I would love to see some actual fall colors lol
Well, you'll get fall colors in Atlanta, but rarely if ever see snow. It's all subjective though, some love the snow, some hate it. I personally would pick Philly because I love the Northern cities character, culture, history and 4 distinct seasons. For me, you can never have too much snow. I think you'd personally do fine in either city so best of luck with your decision!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:27 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Despite its southerly location, Atlanta is about midway between Lafayette and Philadelphia climatically. It is considerably cooler than coastal Deep South locations, with frequent hard freezes during the winter months. There are definitely four seasons with a vibrant show of fall colors, even if winter is not as intense as places further north. Philadelphia is near sea level and has a substantial urban heat island, so it is not particularly cold considering the latitude.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:35 AM

I see that Philadelphia has older housing. Does that translate to cheaper housing prices or is it on par with Atlanta. I plan to rent when I first get there but when I buy I would like to go no higher than 375,000 for a home. I don't mind an older house because it can always be updated. Will I have to sacrifice safer areas if I go with the older home? This is my first time moving so I'm not familiar with gauging which housing is better.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:39 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
I see that Philadelphia has older housing. Does that translate to cheaper housing prices or is it on par with Atlanta. I plan to rent when I first get there but when I buy I would like to go no higher than 375,000 for a home. I don't mind an older house because it can always be updated. Will I have to sacrifice safer areas if I go with the older home? This is my first time moving so I'm not familiar with gauging which housing is better.
Plenty of decent houses in that range around Atlanta. Atlanta lacks any sort of in-town living or row housing compared to Philly but plenty of nice suburbs around the Perimeter. Try to be close to where you work so you don't waste time in traffic.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
I prefer Philadelphia suburbs because I prefer walkable, urban areas. Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Narberth, King of Prussia, Wayne, Media, Upper Darby, Kennett Square, West Chester, Phoenixville, Pottstown, Jenkintown, Glendside, Ambler, Doylestown, Newtown, New Hope, Bristol, Wilmington, Newark, Collingswood, Camden, Haddonfield, Mount Holly, Atlantic City, Sea Isle City, Ocean City, Wildwood, Cape May, Stone Harbor, etc. etc.... that's hard to top!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City