Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Boston
San Diego 76 58.02%
Boston 55 41.98%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:25 PM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
For a city of it's significance in the US, Boston is very "meh" despite having all the foundational components that make a great city.

People compare Boston to cities like San Francisco and Montreal. Those cities have a lot better character, charisma, and mojo when it comes to entreatment and culture than Boston.

Miami may not have as good of a downtown as those other cities but it's got a unique local culture with it's Latin/Caribbean influence. I also find Miami's food and art scene superior to Boston.

BTW I was in Boston during the summer.
The pictures I posted above represent Boston's typical daily vibrancy during summer days. This is as comparable as D.C. daytime vibrancy and arguably a level just below San Fran. I can provide numbers to support this. This is the first I've heard Boston/Cambridge doesn't have character. It overflows with character. If its colonial character and tight streets are not what you prefer that's fine but it has plenty of character. Maybe you're referring to consistent nighttime vibrancy otherwise your opinion is not based off reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 08:31 PM

53 posts, read 51,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
The pictures I posted above represent Boston's typical daily vibrancy during summer days. This is as comparable as D.C. daytime vibrancy and arguably a level just below San Fran. I can provide numbers to support this. This is the first I've heard Boston/Cambridge doesn't have character. It overflows with character. If its colonial character and tight streets are not what you prefer that's fine but it has plenty of character. Maybe you're referring to consistent nighttime vibrancy otherwise your opinion is not based off reality.
DC feels more worldly than Boston and has better museums, better restaurants, better nightlife, and is more multicultural. Being the nation's capital it has a lot of more interesting stuff going on.

When I'm talking about character and vibrancy I'm not just referring to architecture and history, I'm referring to food, arts, entertainment venues, local culture, etc. Boston, in my opinion, falls short in many areas compared to the other cities of it's size and with similar significance.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:32 PM

By the way your preferences for one city over another is not something I have an issue with. It's your comment that Boston lacks vibrancy that is not factual. Relative to NYC and Hong Kong sure. Not relative to D.C. and Miami

Old 12-26-2017, 08:40 PM

Not sure the multicultural difference is that significant either.
D.C.
Black 49%
Hispanic 8%
Asian 3%
White 35%

Boston:
Black 24%
Asian 9%
Hispanic 22%
Non Hispanic white 46%

Old 12-26-2017, 08:47 PM

53 posts, read 51,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Not sure the multicultural difference is that significant either.
D.C.
Black 49%
Hispanic 8%
Asian 3%
White 35%

Boston:
Black 24%
Asian 9%
Hispanic 22%
Non Hispanic white 46%
Going beyond the statistics, there's a lot more people from different areas of the world and other regions of the nation residing in DC since it's the nation's capital. This makes it a lot more interesting and dynamic when it comes to being multicultural in my opinion and experience.

DC isn't my top choice of living, but in inarguably has a lot more "happening" than Boston (for a lack of a better term), making it more attractive for a young working professional.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
Going beyond the statistics, there's a lot more people from different areas of the world and other regions of the nation residing in DC since it's the nation's capital. This makes it a lot more interesting and dynamic when it comes to being multicultural in my opinion and experience.

DC isn't my top choice of living, but in inarguably has a lot more "happening" than Boston (for a lack of a better term), making it more attractive for a young working professional.
"Making it more attractive for a young working professional"
You say this like it applies to everyone. This is your opinion and that is fine. Not going to argue subjective preferences in a city. Boston is not less vibrant than D.C. They're very comparable in this regard. If you ever return to Boston check out Alston, Jamaica plain, Somerville union square, Cambridge central square for some more artsy vibe.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:05 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
I never thought of Boston and SD being the same size. I'd say Boston for now and SD for later when I'm older. SD is a great city but it's too laidback for my personal taste although Boston is freaking cold....

Old 12-27-2017, 07:09 AM

25 posts, read 32,085 times
Roughly same populations

Old 12-27-2017, 07:53 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I don't know what a military civilian is but I personally witnessed much scorn and outright hatred directed at me and my military friends while stationed in San Diego...once you got a ways beyond wherever they were playing of the National Anthem and having a flyover that is.

never saw that to the same degree in any other stateside military community that I was stationed at.
I think with the Military in San Diego it might be similar to college students in Boston,big groups of largely young, transient people with no connection to the community that get shipped in tend to generate friction with the locals.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:06 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Identical population size is pretty unfair considering Cambridge/Brookline/Somerville are probably more densely populated and urban than SD, and they are suburbs. Boston proper is tiny, but had it been a more recently developed city, it would probably be 50% bigger as it would include a lot of those immediate neighbrohoods/suburbs. Greater Boston- the inner ring- is substantially bigger. Metro to metro, I think Boston is ~1.5M bigger, and the delta feels much larger.

Livable neighborhoods-Boston
Nightlife - Both average
Transportation - Boston
Culture-Boston
Economy - Boston
Weather-San Diego
Downtown - Boston

Based on the criteria, Boston in a landslide. It's a bit closer when you consider some alternative factors (like the Mexican food in SD..). Two of my favorite cities in the US, with Chicago, NYC, Seattle, SF, DC right there with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City