Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Boston
San Diego 76 58.02%
Boston 55 41.98%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
Going beyond the statistics, there's a lot more people from different areas of the world and other regions of the nation residing in DC since it's the nation's capital. This makes it a lot more interesting and dynamic when it comes to being multicultural in my opinion and experience.

DC isn't my top choice of living, but in inarguably has a lot more "happening" than Boston (for a lack of a better term), making it more attractive for a young working professional.
I'm a proud resident of Boston, and have become loyal to a fault. In regards to the worldly comment, this came up in a recent thread. Boston does in fact, as a city, have a larger international presence than DC, meaning a larger influx and population of internationally born residents. So -1 there.

I absolutely get what you're saying regarding the 'happening' portion of your narrative. Boston is pretty electric during the day, and often feels a bit overcrowded... but..

Having lived in Chicago, I do feel like, especially for the 23-32 crowd, Boston lack some interesting dynamic. It's hard to put my finger on it. It just doesn't have the same expansive nighttime buzz as a city like Chicago or Montreal or Toronto or NYC. A huge part of it is that the night life is not built into the fabric of downtown, and is isolated to the neighborhoods like Allsont/Southie/Cambridge/Somerville. In Chicago, you have River North/Hubbard area, and it bleeds into much of downtown proper. In Boston, you have the bars in fanueil, and scattered clubs in Downtown Crossing, but it's not in the same league.

The good news is that Seaport/Fort Point is changing that on a significant level, and is really turning into the heartbeat that Boston proper lacked at night. Unfortunately, it's like $3.2k for a studio, and 2 bedrooms are going for close to $4M.

Anyways, go back in a few years, and spend a night in Seaport. It will change your perception a bit.. Some awesome rooftop bars, waterfront patios, steakhouses, breweries, raw bars, etc.

Last edited by mwj119; 12-27-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 02:32 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
Going beyond the statistics, there's a lot more people from different areas of the world and other regions of the nation residing in DC since it's the nation's capital. This makes it a lot more interesting and dynamic when it comes to being multicultural in my opinion and experience.

DC isn't my top choice of living, but in inarguably has a lot more "happening" than Boston (for a lack of a better term), making it more attractive for a young working professional.
"Inarguably?" How so? I'm a young working professional and have lived in both DC and Boston. I prefer Boston by a pretty significant margin precisely because it has a lot more "happening." DC and Boston, like most major cities in the U.S. are growing significantly. But to me, DC feels even more sterile and staid than Boston and always has. A lot of this is due to "activity" (nightlife, dining, etc.) being more decentralized than any other major city in the Northeast. The mall, museums, massive government buildings, and landscraper offices in the core do nothing to help. Boston's nightlife and dining may be very neighborhood-based as well, but the central part of the city is still infinitely more active than DC. Even with all of the changes and development going on in DC (and I know there are a lot). DC has a much stronger black community, but I don't find it to be any more dynamic when it comes to overall multiculturalism. In fact, I'd argue that Boston's education and medical institutions draw a more diverse international crowd than what you'll find in DC.

I've had opportunities to go back to DC and if a good enough one came along, I'd take it. It's a great city. But if all else is equal, I'm taking Boston over DC and it's not really all that close. My roommate is from DC (family is still there), and a close friend and coworker is also from DC (mom is a diplomat). The both like DC, but both prefer Boston. My family, also from the DC area, feel the same. It's a great place, but I would argue Boston is the more vibrant, happening city. That's been my experience by a significant measure.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:39 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Easy way to settle this.

I've never been to Boston but I live in San Diego and see people from the Boston area here all the time who are either visiting or have relocated here. When I lived uptown I saw a billboard everyday advertising SAN-BOS flights.

So...if there are a lot of Boston transplants in San Diego, then Boston must just be crawling with ex-San Diegans who moved there right? I mean, if it's so much better. Is there a way to get data on that?

Old 12-27-2017, 08:05 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times
I love downtown Boston very urban great shopping. San Diego not so much Horton Plaza is in disrepair was very disappointed. I love the few cities left in the states that still have movie theaters ,malls, and department stores in there downtown.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:13 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I lived in Boston for almost 25 years and love it. I moved for family reasons, not because I had any particular desire to leave. I still have lots of friends there and a good professional network. And I love the easy access to so many other fun and interesting places - a few hours drive gets you to New York, Providence, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal.

But honestly, I think I'd have to go with San Diego for the weather. We get winter in Denver and it's fine, but I'm really not sure I could go back to New England winters. I would say that San Diego is not necessarily a better city, but I think life there would be more pleasant overall.

But I'd want a big travel budget, some of which would go to spending time in Boston and its vicinity.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Easy way to settle this.

I've never been to Boston but I live in San Diego and see people from the Boston area here all the time who are either visiting or have relocated here. When I lived uptown I saw a billboard everyday advertising SAN-BOS flights.

So...if there are a lot of Boston transplants in San Diego, then Boston must just be crawling with ex-San Diegans who moved there right? I mean, if it's so much better. Is there a way to get data on that?
Adversely, a ton of kids from San Diego spend 4 years in Boston at the countries best Universities.

Using your logic, Boston must be losing a ton of its population to schools in San Diego. I mean, it’s so much better, right?

Anyone who leaves for San Diego leaves for the beaches and sun. Never career progression. Never long term. Strictly for those two things. When they get bored, which is generally what happens when you live in San Diego for two years, they leave. In fact, even the initial move is happening less and less. Austin has stolen San Diego’s thunder.

Last edited by mwj119; 12-27-2017 at 08:24 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 08:37 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Easy way to settle this.

San Diego is a military town so that makes sense. There are probably people from all over the country in San Diego.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:27 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Adversely, a ton of kids from San Diego spend 4 years in Boston at the countries best Universities.

Using your logic, Boston must be losing a ton of its population to schools in San Diego. I mean, it’s so much better, right?

Anyone who leaves for San Diego leaves for the beaches and sun. Never career progression. Never long term. Strictly for those two things. When they get bored, which is generally what happens when you live in San Diego for two years, they leave. In fact, even the initial move is happening less and less. Austin has stolen San Diego’s thunder.
LOL I knew this rebuttal was coming! Well, more people move to San Diego....but not for the right reasons! At least the schools people would leave for are actually IN SAN DIEGO, not a satellite city that Boston needs to claim to boost its footprint.

Is there any thread that Austin can't be worked into? Wow. There's nothing Austin has that San Diego doesn't, while San Diego has everything Austin doesn't.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
There's nothing Austin has that San Diego doesn't, while San Diego has everything Austin doesn't.
Industry growth would be a big one. A nearly identical average annual salary is another good one, considering it's 40% cheaper. University of Texas is notable. An awesome music scene. A better art scene. Better nightlife (by a mile). Not better Mexican, though, despite what they'll try and tell us..

All in all, I do love San Diego. But, your reasoning is pretty inconsistent with the truth. Massachusetts has seen +60k growth in population the last two years. While I agree that there's a steadier stream of folks from Boston moving to SD than the reverse role, I'd bet my mortgage that a vast majority leave and ultimately come back. Simple eye test will tell you that.

SD is largely a rental city for young, affluent northerners trying to 'get away', and for the old and retired.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:54 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitThreeonethree View Post
Roughly same populations
Not really

If you go by City Limits - San Diego is significantly larger

If you go by Metro or Urban Area - Boston is significantly larger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City