Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Boston
San Diego 76 58.02%
Boston 55 41.98%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 01:06 PM

25 posts, read 32,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Not really

If you go by City Limits - San Diego is significantly larger

If you go by Metro or Urban Area - Boston is significantly larger
True...just saying they both have roughly around 600000 people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 07:11 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Industry growth would be a big one. A nearly identical average annual salary is another good one, considering it's 40% cheaper. University of Texas is notable. An awesome music scene. A better art scene. Better nightlife (by a mile). Not better Mexican, though, despite what they'll try and tell us..

All in all, I do love San Diego. But, your reasoning is pretty inconsistent with the truth. Massachusetts has seen +60k growth in population the last two years. While I agree that there's a steadier stream of folks from Boston moving to SD than the reverse role, I'd bet my mortgage that a vast majority leave and ultimately come back. Simple eye test will tell you that.

SD is largely a rental city for young, affluent northerners trying to 'get away', and for the old and retired.
Thank you for helping to illustrate my point about Austin-it's hyped amenities are available in any number of places. I could put on a blindfold, throw a dart at a map of the U.S. and any random Midwest or great plains city it hits will have at least some variation of what you listed. Can't say the same for San Diego.

If they leave it's usually for family reasons not because the places they're going are so much greater. Are we talking about Boston or all of Massachusetts? I'm not using population growth stats for California to prop up San Diego here.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
If they leave it's usually for family reasons not because the places they're going are so much greater. Are we talking about Boston or all of Massachusetts? I'm not using population growth stats for California to prop up San Diego here.
Unless you think people are flocking to Springfield, MA... Boston Metro is essentially the entire Massachusetts population. Not really a great comparison between CA and MA, is it?

And I'm not really sure what you just said about Austin. So I have not comment.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:28 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitThreeonethree View Post
True...just saying they both have roughly around 600000 people
The population of the city (not the county, not the region) of San Diego is 1.4M so I’m not sure what formula you are using to end up reducing that by more than 1/2 and declaring that as some kind of number to use as comparing it equally to Boston, but it is totally inaccurate. The urban area is 3M, Greater Boston is larger at about 4.7M but I have no idea where 600k comes from.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:41 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Unless you think people are flocking to Springfield, MA... Boston Metro is essentially the entire Massachusetts population. Not really a great comparison between CA and MA, is it?

And I'm not really sure what you just said about Austin. So I have not comment.
Yes, but the point stands that Boston pretty much needs the entire state of Massachusetts to even participate in this comparison while San Diego could hold it's own with a portion of it's city limits.

The kinds of amenities Austin gets hype for can be recreated anywhere. There's a big college there....wow, a music festival, you don't say.....they have a bar district downtown? Tell me more....

Old 12-31-2017, 12:54 PM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
San Diego wins for beaches and weather and those factors are huge. Boston wins everything else

Old 12-31-2017, 04:47 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
The kinds of amenities Austin gets hype for can be recreated anywhere. There's a big college there....wow, a music festival, you don't say.....they have a bar district downtown? Tell me more....
It's not about the amenities in and of themselves, it's about the vibe and atmosphere associated with them. The culture that plays out as you are enjoying those festivities in Austin ain't gonna be seen with festivities in the Northeast (and vice versa).

Last edited by Texyn; 12-31-2017 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-01-2018, 08:35 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
Quote:
Yes, but the point stands that Boston pretty much needs the entire state of Massachusetts to even participate in this comparison while San Diego could hold it's own with a portion of it's city limits.

One is 48 square miles and one is 325 square miles.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:04 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Easy way to settle this.

I've never been to Boston but I live in San Diego and see people from the Boston area here all the time who are either visiting or have relocated here. When I lived uptown I saw a billboard everyday advertising SAN-BOS flights.

So...if there are a lot of Boston transplants in San Diego, then Boston must just be crawling with ex-San Diegans who moved there right? I mean, if it's so much better. Is there a way to get data on that?
Someone from SD isn't going to move to Boston unless their job dictates it. It's a cold weather city and while its a cool city, its not that much of a draw. A San Diegan would be miserable for four months out of the year.

Conversely, I would not do well with the kind of desert-like climate of SD because I'm an Irish-Swede-French kind of pasty. I would always be looking for shade, its a good problem to have though.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:38 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
One is 48 square miles and one is 325 square miles.
Exactly my thought. SD city limits would be as large as 10-15 eastern MA cities. In that way, and as a broader metro, Boston feels infinitely larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City