Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Philadelphia 157 78.89%
San Jose 42 21.11%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:09 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
People - Philadelphia is also friendly in my opinion. This "rudeness" of the Northeast, I just don't see. I enjoy the humor and sarcasm of Philadelphian's. They're real, down-to-earth people.

Stadiums - Yes, I've heard of them. They're not as good as Lincoln Financial Field, Citizen's Bank Park, Wells Fargo Center and Talen Energy Stadium. The first three, at least, are more well known stadiums in the sports world. Furthermore, when you factor in well-known college sports stadiums and arenas like Franklin Field, The Palestra, The Pavilion, Hagan Arena, Liacouras Center... it's not close here.

Transportation - not even close to Philadelphia. The amount of regional rail lines, 3 subway lines, countless trolley lines, a light rail line on the jersey side of the river, endless bus routes. Philadelphia transportation coverage is top 5 in the nation.

Walkability? I'm sorry, but SJ is NOT #7. Philadelphia is top 5 though.
https://www.citylab.com/transportati...cities/389877/

Theaters - that's nice it gets all the broadway tours... but so does Philadelphia. ON TOP of that, Philadelphia has it's own theater industry with it's own plays. The amount of theaters is also more numerous than SJ, so Philadelphia can hold more plays at one time. Merriam Theater, Kimmel Center, Suzanne Roberts Theater, Wilma Theater, Walnut Street Theater, Forrest Theater, etc. etc. Philadelphia also has a world renown Orchestra, Opera, Ballet, etc.

Museums? Again, Philadelphia wins clearly. Philadelphia Museum of Art, Barnes Foundation, Franklin Institute, Please Touch Museum, Rodin Museum, Jewish History Museum, Museum of the American Revolution, Penn Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Institute of Contemporary Art, Eastern State Penitentiary, Mutter Museum... there are countless museums... not to mention the entirety of Old City is basically a neighborhood museum.
Levi's is the most technically savvy and modern football stadium after Minneapolis, Stanford stadium and Buck stadium or state of the art university stadiums. San Jose also has tons of theaters. Transportation: Bart, light rail and Caltrain to San Francisco, Capitol train to Sacramento and buses to Santa Cruz/Monterey and etc. San Jose also has tons of museums: Japan museum, Vietnam museum, Children museum, Tech museum, museum of art, Quilt museum, Contemporary art inst., Roscrician museum and Triton museum. Stanford Museum is awesome so is Computer museum. It has too many to count or keep track of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I mean if you want to live in a "city" I think Philly is the obvious answer. It is full of interesting things to do all the time. It has one of the best cityscapes imo, great restaurants (what seems to be just about every niche fast casual restaurant chain in the country), loads of concerts, festivals, etc. A lot of people who haven't been to Philadelphia in a long time are surprised to see how much the inner city has gentrified. Of course, there is still a life time's worth of work if the entire city is to get on solid footing. I am sure San Jose is a better city to raise a family for the average resident (in the city limits), but I have absolutely no regrets spending all my 20s' and beyond living in Philly. I put money down you can have more fun in Philly than SJ.

We also got an Overwatch team. Why did SF get one but no SJ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHD3W8AH8uM

I like how there is always great music coming out of Philadelphia too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9LgHNf2Qy0

If over congestion, noise, trash, traffic, and other things that come along with living in a dense old city bother you, I would probably say San Jose is a better option. If you are looking for urban city living though, I think Philly is the better option.
For fun: I personally think Downtown San Jose is more fun than Center City with much more night life and cooler people in a smaller footprint of the downtown core. Lovin' it!

Old 11-16-2017, 03:17 PM

My own final evaluation: No joke here

Diversity: San Jose
Shopping: San jose
Size: San Jose
Weather: San Jose
Natural Scenery: San Jose
People: tie-subjective
Transportation: tie since all transportation system in SJ are actually San Jose's not outside system of case of Philly's.
Architecture: Old-Philly; new-San Jose: can't compete with Apple's spaceship or new Googleplex(outside in unique style)
Culture:tie
Downtown:tie; subjective- size:Philly cohesive: San Jose
Crime: San Jose
History: Philly
Industry:San Jose

San Jose is actually a better and wealthier city and more dynamic since it's the Capital of Silicon Valley, high tech capital of the world!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2017, 03:22 PM

From here on out, we can agree to disagree if you guys think otherwise.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:29 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Hahaha... if you think San Jose is so great, and so much better than Philadelphia, why did you create this thread?

I hate to break it to you, but most people are going to go with Philadelphia on this one.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Hahaha... if you think San Jose is so great, and so much better than Philadelphia, why did you create this thread?

I hate to break it to you, but most people are going to go with Philadelphia on this one.
Wasn't too sure after digging and doing research when I did this thread.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:33 PM

They go over Philly: lack of knowledge of this fairly new and low key city, San Jose. It now even has its own tv series which is a hit, "Good Doctor". Might learn more about this low key city.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:34 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Wasn't too sure after digging and doing research when I did this thread.
Yet, you completely disregard everybody else's information and opinions like a 12 year old? If you think San Jose wins on every single one of those metrics, there's something wrong with you.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:50 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
They're both south of more known cities, are similar size and both are major cities.
San Jose metro is about 1.9 million. Philly is 7.1 million.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Yet, you completely disregard everybody else's information and opinions like a 12 year old? If you think San Jose wins on every single one of those metrics, there's something wrong with you.
Facts speak for themselves as you the news online. There's not even 1 thing that I made up. It is what it is.

I don't make things up like:

Diversity:San Jose- it's a melting pot like UN
Size: San Jose - it 180 sq. vs 140
Industry: San Jose- Silicon Valley is the hottest
Shopping: San Jose- Santana Row, Valley Fair, Stanford Shopping, Great Mall and Oakridge with a lot more
Weather: San Jose- 60 in Jan. and 84 in July
Natural Scenery:San Jose-surrounded by mountains and very green with pristine hills in the city's outskirt
People:San Jose-people are very friendly, not rude
Downtown: subjective
Crime: San Jose-FBI puts San Jose among the safest

So where do I go wrong and fabricate the info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City