Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Philadelphia 157 78.89%
San Jose 42 21.11%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:38 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,924,658 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BLL5NwNrrsThey don't got this in Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 04:31 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
So 60's ish! The song was made back then, not now.
Maybe so, but the city whose name appears on the cover of the Michelin guide in question sure isn't San José. The larger point of that statement, made in its opening sentence, holds.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:06 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,784 times
Quote:
So 60's ish! The song was made back then, not now.

San Jose has better: Italian, Mexican, Vietnamese, African, Middle Eastern, Thai, and Japanese foods than Philly. That's for sure! Italian-Original Joe's and Eno La teca Storia are best old school Italian with best veal parm. ever. El Burro has the best mexican food. Falafel Drive In has the best falafel, period. No need to go more.
Better "Italian Food" than Philly?
Okay, I done with you..... lol

Old 04-08-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Better "Italian Food" than Philly?
Okay, I done with you..... lol
Sorry, it's true!!!!!!!! I've had both. Yeah, way better. Best veal parm, best pizza and ravioli right in SJ: Original Joe's and Peasano. Rest my case: San Jose is 100% better than Philadelphia. It realistically beats this city just about every metric or criteria you can come up with, even downtown. I talked to a lady from Kensington part of Philly. She said Downtown San Jose is way better: cleaner, safer, more cohesive, more fun and interesting. Not kidding.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 AM

Ok, I got give Philly something to beat SJ:history, downtown and population. As far as downtown: people tell me otherwise. Guess they have low self esteem toward their city. However, San Jose is much better city overall.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Everybody on the same page? I guess now everyone agrees that San Jose the better city after all.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Everybody on the same page? I guess now everyone agrees that San Jose the better city after all.
No, they do not.

And the poll numbers still prove it.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Sorry, it's true!!!!!!!! I've had both. Yeah, way better. Best veal parm, best pizza and ravioli right in SJ: Original Joe's and Peasano. Rest my case: San Jose is 100% better than Philadelphia. It realistically beats this city just about every metric or criteria you can come up with, even downtown. I talked to a lady from Kensington part of Philly. She said Downtown San Jose is way better: cleaner, safer, more cohesive, more fun and interesting. Not kidding.
I tell people all the time that "Philadelphia is underrated, and nobody underrates it more than the natives."

You met one.

I don't know what that Kensingtonian meant by "more cohesive" - downtowns aren't planned shopping centers.

I'm not going to pass judgement on her assessment of the "fun and interesting" part, as I haven't been to downtown San Jose myself and therefore don't want to presume, but I'll just say that the sidewalks here hum with life well into the night.

Cleaner? Philadelphians are notorious litterers, so I'll give you that one, the efforts of the Center City District notwithstanding. But the CCD does do a good job of keeping the core business district trash-free, so I wonder whether our Kensingtonian isn't (a) factoring in what many streets outside downtown look like (b) adjusting for San Jose's generally sunnier weather.

Safer? I'm pretty sure the crime rates per 1,000 residents are higher here, but our downtown has a much higher daytime population, so the crime rate per 1,000 occupants of Center City buildings during the day is much lower - and so would the crime rate in the evening be.

But as I said, I'm reserving judgement on the "fun and exciting" part. I will simply say that the Center City Philadelphia I walk around now is far livelier than the one I moved to in 1983, and even the one I lived in 10 or 15 years ago. So I'm going to take Ms. Kenzo's comment with a huge grain of salt.

Nope, we're still not on the same page. Again, the whole can be greater - or less - than the sum of its parts.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:02 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,192 times
Quote:
San Jose has better: Italian, Mexican, Vietnamese, African, Middle Eastern, Thai, and Japanese foods than Philly. That's for sure! Italian-Original Joe's and Eno La teca Storia are best old school Italian with best veal parm. ever. El Burro has the best mexican food. Falafel Drive In has the best falafel, period. No need to go more.
The two above bolded food choices is how I know this guy is simply an obnoxious troll. Some of the best Italian and Vietnamese anywhere can be found in the same neighborhood (the Italian Market) only a few blocks from each other.

Please, stop feeding the troll.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The two above bolded food choices is how I know this guy is simply an obnoxious troll. Some of the best Italian and Vietnamese anywhere can be found in the same neighborhood (the Italian Market) only a few blocks from each other.

Please, stop feeding the troll.
You could have also boldfaced "Mexican" and your sentence would still be accurate.

Taquitas del Puebla, anyone? Plaza Garibaldi?

It's a fortunate coincidence that the national flags of Italy and Mexico use the same three colors, for it means they don't have to repaint the awnings on South 9th Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City