Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Philadelphia 157 78.89%
San Jose 42 21.11%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:51 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I see San Jose proponents let Philly supporters turn this thread into a battle of urbanity.

Get better at arguing your city's strong suits.
Exactly.

Quote:
I feel like I must be living in the Upside Down since Topper and myself both live in San Jose and according to him its a utopian dreamscape, a 21st century Shangri-la. While to me it looks and feels like LA if you took out all of the fun cool stuff.
I dont get his inaccurate view of downtown SJ compared to much more developed and urban downtowns.

But I likewise dont get your blanket dismissals of the entire city. SJs quality of life smashes LA but you seem to only focus on tourist attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 03:59 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,212,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
I didn't even put education. San Jose has Stanford, Santa Clara university and San Jose St.
I attend one of the best business schools in the nation within Philly's city limits. There are two in the top 50: Wharton (Penn) and Fox (Temple). San Jose State, the only university within San Jose's city limits, has a business school that is unranked. What standout programs does San Jose State have? Philly has several spread out among universities within city limits. You have to go out to the MSA level to even compete with Philly, a level at which the divide between the two cities becomes even larger. You may have Stanford, Santa Clara, and UC Santa Cruz (?), but we have Penn, Temple, Drexel, Villanova, University of Delaware, Rutgers-Camden, Swarthmore College, Bryn Mawr College, Rosemont College, Rowan University, and so many more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Sorry, your city can't take candle to San Jose. I'm not saying San Jose has a better downtown. I really love our downtown: vibrant, thriving, compact, amenity rich, tons of culture with arts and theaters, lots of parks, good amount of housing/offices and hotels, nice people, tons of nightlife with bars/restaurants, lounges, breweries, live music joints, and wine bars and cool new movie/entertainment opening in Dec. Downtown has great transit. It has great old and new architectures and public buildings. It has social gathering spots: San Pedro SQ. Market and SoFA Market, too. This is really a world class city! It even has a brand new world class airport with most modernized facilities.
That's the funniest thing I've heard all week! Now I'm gonna have to go in on you.

Sorry, but based on what you mentioned in that paragraph, Philly wipes the floor with San Jose. Center City is, hands down, one of the best downtown areas in the nation. Center City is one of the few downtown areas that remains vibrant late into the night. City residents and suburbanites alike pack our bars and restaurants until they shut down (especially when Center City Sips is happening). Some clubs are open as late as 3AM. Plus, people want to live in Center City. We have the 2nd largest downtown population in the nation, which only continues to grow. Public transit may be "great" in SJ, but it can't compare to my city. Get back to me when BART actually reaches SJ. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy our subway lines, 13 Regional Rail lines, trolleys, and multitude of buses (several of which run 24/7). Parks? Does your city have the largest landscaped park in the world? Nothing in your city compares to Fairmount Park, Wissahickon Valley Park, Pennypack Park, all of our squares, and our nationally-recognized trails. I will give you the airport point, however. PHL could use the $9B investment coming its way, although our airport offers more runways, greater capacity, and a train that serves it.

Also, you have only asserted that your downtown area is great. What about the other neighborhoods within city limits? When I think about how great Philly is, I'm mainly thinking about the vibrant neighborhoods outside of Center City. Show me a neighborhood in SJ that is anything like Fishtown, Northern Liberties, South Kensington, Francisville, Chestnut Hill, Manayunk, Passyunk Square, Squirrel Hill, Garden Court, etc. Philly has great neighborhoods in every section of the city, while you can only talk about downtown San Jose. Where are your active, mixed-use corridors that see significant foot traffic outside of downtown SJ? Show me something outside of downtown that compares to Frankford Avenue, Germantown Avenue, Girard Avenue, Cecil B. Moore Avenue, 2nd Street, 9th Street (Italian Market and Pat's and Geno's), 60th Street, Broad Street, Passyunk Avenue, Lancaster Avenue, or Baltimore Avenue. Ridge Avenue, Point Breeze Avenue, Kensington Avenue, and 52nd Street will soon be joining in.

I don't like to bash cities since mine has real problems that need to be solved, but Philly can't hold a candle to SJ? That's hilarious!

Last edited by PhilliesPhan2013; 11-17-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 11-17-2017, 04:06 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,831,581 times
Someone from San Jose should be arguing that the 21st Century, where everything is tech based, the San Jose area is the tech hub of the world. A hub that receives the best talent from everywhere including the Philly area.

Not walkability.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:25 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,212,497 times
Quote:
Someone from San Jose should be arguing that the 21st Century, where everything is tech based, the San Jose area is the tech hub of the world. A hub that receives the best talent from everywhere including the Philly area.

Not walkability.
It all depends on what you define as "21st Centruy". Sure, Philly can't hold a candle to San Jose when it comes to tech, but we're certainly not lagging behind either.

https://www.1776.vc/reports/innovati...-matters-2017/

FDA approves first-ever T-cell cancer treatment, pioneered at Penn, CHOP

An $872 million week for Philly biotech companies

21st Century isn't just pure tech, and Philadelphia is only rising in terms of international recognition of its importance in the biotech field. Philly has always been known for its importance in the "Eds and Meds" sector, but it is increasingly becoming known for advances in biotech due to the research capacity of our major universities. Also, Philly is right on the Bay Area's tail in terms of being a startup haven. According to the 1776 article:

"Close behind Boston, the San Francisco Bay Area and Philadelphia ranked highly overall. Philadelphia jumped five spots in this year’s ranking thanks to significant investments from civic leaders that led to jumps in culture. The Bay Area fell just behind Boston for a second-place ranking in capital and continued to enjoy unmatched access to talent and industry specialization. Philadelphia’s rise puts ranking pressure on the Bay Area and other established start-up hubs. For the Bay Area to maintain its ranking status, it must look to build out the diversity of its startup culture."

The thought that Philly isn't "21st Century" enough (I know that's not what you said; however, this is a perception that some have) is really outdated. After all, this city has more white-collar workers than blue-collar. Philly is a city that is well-prepared to be a leader in a/a number of nice field/fields in the future.

I do agree that the OP's premise would have been debatable if he didn't try to compete on aspects of urbanity and walkability; however, Philly is so much more than a walkable city. It can compete with many of this nation's top cities, because it is a top city.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:26 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,896,609 times
https://ei.marketwatch.com/Multimedi...5-9c8e992d421ehttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...vRMa611bArk3mU

Old 11-17-2017, 04:34 PM

Philly is the next best thing: give it up trying to be like San Jose or be in the same league, cities!

Old 11-17-2017, 04:37 PM

Next, come and check out the two downtowns and be the judge for yourselves. Neighborhoods: Willow Glen, Alameda, Vietnam town, Little India on El Camino, Japan town, Downtowns, Palo Alto, Mountain View, California st. Los Gatos, and Campbell. Too many to list!

Old 11-17-2017, 04:48 PM

My post has been answered:San Jose is better than Philadelphia. //www.city-data.com/forum/world...light=san+jose posts have been very helpful to me determining the facts.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,914,849 times
Quote:

Not walkability.
You know it's a landslide comparison in Philly's favor when a Baltimore poster has to come in and try to help San Jose win one category.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:31 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,831,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You know it's a landslide comparison in Philly's favor when a Baltimore poster has to come in and try to help San Jose win one category.
They are on the defensive because they arguing something that most would consider a weak point for them. They should be arguing QOL, Industry, fortune 500 companies, weather, or something they're strong in, not history, and public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City