Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Philadelphia 157 78.89%
San Jose 42 21.11%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Climate? I will definitely take the temps in San Jose over Phila but it tends to be very arid in San Jose(only 15 inches rain per year) leaving a deadish brown living enviorment and counterproductive to 99% of all living things.
The areas to the west and south of San Jose are very lush and some areas get even more rainfall than Philadelphia. San Jose is in a rain shadow while places right next to it can get up to 3x more rainfall.

Yeah totally "deadish and brown": https://goo.gl/maps/WfQPbr8ToPN2
https://goo.gl/maps/9zByivc8kdn

"deadish and brown" is a better description of what the northeast/Mid-Atlantic area looks like in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:07 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I see San Jose proponents let Philly supporters turn this thread into a battle of urbanity.

Get better at arguing your city's strong suits.
It's a tilted battle tho. San Jose has little to offer aside from climate and the Silicon Valley. There is no Liberty Bell there, no density, no walkability, nothing. Hard to argue for San Jose unless you really hate the cold that much

Old 11-17-2017, 08:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Public transportation is a weird one as rush hour traffic is part of the day. Who wants go shopping for groceries or whatever, and lug shopping bags on a dirty bus/train as apposed to the trunk of your car?

Culture institutions would pale in comparison to outdoor activities due to the better weather.
A LOT of people, including myself. I live in the Templetown neighborhood and ride my bike down to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and the neighborhood Fresh Grocer. It seems like the bike racks are constantly full from people doing the same thing I do. I also don't mind throwing it all on the 33. Living car-free is one of the best parts about my city. Who wants to live somewhere where a car is required for everything and anything?

Philadelphia offers more amenities than SJ could ever offer, including proximity to other Northeast population centers. Anything that SJ can offer its residents pales in comparison to the complete package that Philly offers. "Better weather" is highly subjective. Our winter season and proximity to the Poconos is definitely a strength for those who enjoy winter! Also, winter doesn't stop everyone from partaking in outdoor activities. I still go running in the winter and know many others who do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Face it: Philly is not in the league as San Jose, SF, LA, Chicago or NY. It's not even in the same league as Boston or Washington. Philly is in the same league as Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Detroit, as well as Cleveland/Cincinnati. San Jose is exceptionally a superstar city. Philly is another good example to follow for Phoenix, San Antonio and Milwaukee.
That's even funnier than your last statement!! San Jose wishes that it could be in the same tier that Philly sits in. Philly is a solid second-tier city, joined by the likes of Chicago, Boston, San Fran, (possibly) Seattle, and D.C. Only NYC and LA are a tier above us.

Quote:
6th best transportation system in the country!https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._zgVgd2q1cjJXS

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...JT3prSb26d1ztD and or 2nd best in the country!
Get back to me when SJ has all fives modes of transportation (trolleys, subways, commuter rail, buses, and electric trolleybuses), interurban rail (the Norristown High-Speed Line), suburban trolleys, interstate commuter rail service, a train that serves your airport and runs at least every 30 minutes, and anything that even resembles the level of service that Philly receives on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor. Speaking of that, get back to me when SJ has the 3rd busiest train station in the country. That won't happen, because Philly has that 3rd spot on lock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Why do so many of my fellow Philadelphians love getting into it with such obvious trolls in these threads? Either this guy is crazy or he's just a troll. Whichever way, he isn't worth responding to.
Honestly, this is my entertainment as I work through this difficult finance homework. I know the OP's game, as I've seen him post that Philly has the best downtown area in other threads that he has created. This is the same dude that claims SJ is better than Chicago, Boston, and a host of other cities that sit a tier above SJ!

Last edited by PhilliesPhan2013; 11-17-2017 at 08:16 PM..

Old 11-17-2017, 08:09 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Why do so many of my fellow Philadelphians love getting into it with such obvious trolls in these threads? Either this guy is crazy or he's just a troll. Whichever way, he isn't worth responding to.
Because you gotta be insane to believe that San Jose is better than Philly. Keep in mind I'm not a Philadelphian, I'm a New Yorker. I also hate cold weather. But Philly beats San Jose easily even keeping these things in mind

Old 11-17-2017, 08:44 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
A LOT of people, including myself. I live in the Templetown neighborhood and ride my bike down to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and the neighborhood Fresh Grocer. It seems like the bike racks are constantly full from people doing the same thing I do. I also don't mind throwing it all on the 33. Living car-free is one of the best parts about my city. Who wants to live somewhere where a car is required for everything and anything?

Philadelphia offers more amenities than SJ could ever offer, including proximity to other Northeast population centers. Anything that SJ can offer its residents pales in comparison to the complete package that Philly offers. "Better weather" is highly subjective. Our winter season and proximity to the Poconos is definitely a strength for those who enjoy winter! Also, winter doesn't stop everyone from partaking in outdoor activities. I still go running in the winter and know many others who do the same.

That's even funnier than your last statement!! San Jose wishes that it could be in the same tier that Philly sits in. Philly is a solid second-tier city, joined by the likes of Chicago, Boston, San Fran, (possibly) Seattle, and D.C. Only NYC and LA are a tier above us.

Get back to me when SJ has all fives modes of transportation (trolleys, subways, commuter rail, buses, and electric trolleybuses), interurban rail (the Norristown High-Speed Line), suburban trolleys, interstate commuter rail service, a train that serves your airport and runs at least every 30 minutes, and anything that even resembles the level of service that Philly receives on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor. Speaking of that, get back to me when SJ has the 3rd busiest train station in the country. That won't happen, because Philly has that 3rd spot on lock!

Honestly, this is my entertainment as I work through this difficult finance homework. I know the OP's game, as I've seen him post that Philly has the best downtown area in other threads that he has created. This is the same dude that claims SJ is better than Chicago, Boston, and a host of other cities that sit a tier above SJ!
True, and I agree that Philly is a more walkable city, but Sunbelt cities are still the fastest growing cities in the country. Also, objectively, Philly isn't in the same league as Chicago. Chicago is too big for Philly to be comparable.

I'm just playing devil's advocate BTW, I have no dog in this fight.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:53 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It's a tilted battle tho. San Jose has little to offer aside from climate and the Silicon Valley. There is no Liberty Bell there, no density, no walkability, nothing. Hard to argue for San Jose unless you really hate the cold that much
No, I know you guys in Philly are silly. There's a light tower at Kelly Park. There's liberty Bell that's not broken right downtown at SJ State! Walkability? Downtown and the urban core: walk score on Santa Clara st-98. Central San Jose is 9,000 per sq. mile. 4 sq. miles central of San Jose population is 400,000, according U.S. Census. That's pretty dense. San Jose has Great America and Raging Water theme parks as well as Bonfonte Gardens. That's more like nothing fun in Philly.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Because you gotta be insane to believe that San Jose is better than Philly. Keep in mind I'm not a Philadelphian, I'm a New Yorker. I also hate cold weather. But Philly beats San Jose easily even keeping these things in mind
Keep your opinions in NY since you New Yorkers often chase Philly people back to Philly.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

San Jose has light rail, commuter rail, historical trolley, buses and Bart. How about that?! Second best transportation system in the country!

Old 11-17-2017, 09:00 PM

Keep dreamin' Phillies! You got a decent big working class city with a decent downtown, but you're a league lower than some of the Big Superstar Cities. Still, the city is an envy of others that should strive be like it(Philly). It's a wonderful East Coast city with lots of history.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
No, I know you guys in Philly are silly. There's a light tower at Kelly Park. There's liberty Bell that's not broken right downtown at SJ State! Walkability? Downtown and the urban core: walk score on Santa Clara st-98. Central San Jose is 9,000 per sq. mile. 4 sq. miles central of San Jose population is 400,000, according U.S. Census. That's pretty dense. San Jose has Great America and Raging Water theme parks as well as Bonfonte Gardens. That's more like nothing fun in Philly.
9,000 per square mile is not dense at all, my census tract in a suburban town is denser than that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City