Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:10 AM

354 posts, read 627,254 times

Advertisements

Which city is better in terms of the following criteria? Please give your experience on which city you would choose.

quality of life
nightlife
scenery
recreation
arts
food
shopping
downtown
transportation
overall vibe of city and people
more urban/walkability
metro area
economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
quality of life - Charleston
nightlife - Charleston
scenery - Charleston
recreation - Charleston
arts - Charleston
food - Charleston
shopping - Charleston
downtown - Charleston
transportation - Charleston
overall vibe of city and people - Charleston
more urban/walkability - Charleston
metro area - Durham
economy - Durham

Old 04-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
quality of life - Charleston
nightlife - Charleston
scenery - Charleston
recreation - Charleston
arts - Charleston
food - Charleston
shopping - Charleston
downtown - Charleston
transportation - Charleston
overall vibe of city and people - Charleston
more urban/walkability - Charleston
metro area - Durham
economy - Durham
You are right, Charleston has all of these things. But Durham is starting to change too, the Downtown area is doing a construction boom. new high rises are starting to go up, and alot of events such as festivals and concerts are happening in Durham now.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:39 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
This is a pretty close matchup and while each is more known for certain things, I don't think either truly loses to the other in any category.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is a pretty close matchup and while each is more known for certain things, I don't think either truly loses to the other in any category.
Right, I agree. both have history.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:24 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,333 times
It's no contest, Charleston, South Carolina crushes Durham, NC!

Old 04-08-2018, 08:00 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Outside of the Carolinas, Charleston is a lot more on the radar, especially in terms of tourism, media, food scene, and history. That said in Durham, Duke has a beautiful campus and downtown has some ok urban bones. I actually find Durham more interesting than Raleigh. It has a lot of untapped potential. But it's not really a much of match to Charleston, unless you factor work/career life. Charleston is the type of place I could spend a few days in. Durham, more so for a few hours or an afternoon.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
It's no contest, Charleston, South Carolina crushes Durham, NC!
That is true but like I said Durham is beginning to change. I have visited Bull City twice last year & I was very impressed with a lot of the projects that I've seen Downtown. Charleston may win, but Durham is starting to get recognition too.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Outside of the Carolinas, Charleston is a lot more on the radar, especially in terms of tourism, media, food scene, and history. That said in Durham, Duke has a beautiful campus and downtown has some ok urban bones. I actually find Durham more interesting than Raleigh. It has a lot of untapped potential. But it's not really a much of match to Charleston, unless you factor work/career life. Charleston is the type of place I could spend a few days in. Durham, more so for a few hours or an afternoon.
True, I bet you Durham has a better job market compared to Charleston though.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:20 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,456 times
Actually good matchup. It's been too long since I've been to both but my overall impressions are:

Charleston wins for history, access to beaches, architectural beauty. Durham wins for access to universities and good basketball, better job market, and access to "mountains" or what we in the West would call, nice size hills.

To develop a career and raise a family, Durham wins... for retirement or those with plenty of money, Charleston wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City