Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is better
Atlanta 67 41.36%
Nashville 34 20.99%
Minneapolis 61 37.65%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:20 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
No logical person tries to push Atlanta on the level of NYC, CHI or LA. Additionally, no logical person would place Nashville in the league with ATL or even Minneapolis.
Ding, ding, ding, ding!

Not one person from Atlanta has even attempted to align us with the likes of NYC, Chicago or L.A. That would be delusional.

The oft repeated claims of Atlantan's being overzealous homers & boosters here is a straw man 99% of time, however. Defending a place you care about is not the same thing at all, but you would never know it here.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:45 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Atlanta or Minneapolis for me. Nashville has no appeal for me.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:00 AM

108 posts, read 143,358 times
Nashville is on the cusp of, if not already at 2 million. By the 2020 census it will be a 2 million metro.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:10 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedfadedisbae View Post
Nashville is on the cusp of, if not already at 2 million. By the 2020 census it will be a 2 million metro.
It certainly feels like it already. I've long felt that Nashville was a city that punched above its weight.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:29 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
People have been making ridiculous assertions about Nashville being a better nightlife destination, being able to attract and secure more exclusive dining ( chefs), calling Atlanta Laid back, and so on throughout the duration of this thread. Then the county argument gets brought into it. I just had to set the record straight, I’m not even an Atlanta homer, my roots are originally in NY. But I have enough roots and live here now, so I can’t let things go unchecked.

Yes, some ridiculous Atlanta folk might think Atl is up there with those cities you mentioned, but I don’t see too much of ppl from Atlanta pretending it to be more exciting, have more dining or nightlife options, while those bigger cities are “laid back.” If anything, people simply point out that Atlanta is sort of close to those cities in name recognition and functions similarly to them as a regional hub. We compete with Houston, Miami and Dallas for the most part.

Yes, I understand Nashville is a hot spot right now, but it hasn’t surpassed 2 million and not even 1 million in the urban core, it shouldn’t be compared to these two cities as far as what is offered. Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Cleveland are cities that Nashville better contend with. Not saying any metro should feel threatened, but people need a dose of reality sometimes.

I get your laid back point though, Atlanta is not a laid back city by no means and that makes no sense. As far as Nightlife, that's debatable... DT Nashville is a party scene regardless and there's all kinds of Night life of different verity across both cities in different districts of both. Some big time dining has been coming and is also on the way to Nashville, dining only found in the big boy Cities mainly in the exclusive I have noticed lately. I would hope we all have some common sense and can see past all the Fluff though, I hope!!! As far as the NYC, CHI, and LA comparison, I mentioned that because some would say we could punch on that level just because we have Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, which is the world busiest and our Marta HRT, at the very least flirt with it so yes some have made that comparison or have flirted with the big boy league when it comes to Atlanta. After 2018 I see some promising thinks coming to Nashville in the Transit department though.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:53 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Even though metro Atlanta is significantly larger than the metro Twin Cities, Minneapolis is still a much more urban central city. It is nearly twice as dense as Atlanta and will probably end up adding nearly 1000 ppsm by the time the decade is over. Atlanta is more like St Paul when it comes to city neighborhoods outside the high rise areas.

These are density maps from 2010, both maps are at the same scale.

Atlanta:

Atlanta by Andrew Smith, on Flickr

Minneapolis - St Paul:

Minneapolis by Andrew Smith, on Flickr

Old 12-23-2017, 02:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I get your laid back point though, Atlanta is not a laid back city by no means and that makes no sense. As far as Nightlife, that's debatable... DT Nashville is a party scene regardless and there's all kinds of Night life of different verity across both cities in different districts of both. Some big time dining has been coming and is also on the way to Nashville, dining only found in the big boy Cities mainly in the exclusive I have noticed lately. I would hope we all have some common sense and can see past all the Fluff though, I hope!!! As far as the NYC, CHI, and LA comparison, I mentioned that because some would say we could punch on that level just because we have Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, which is the world busiest and our Marta HRT, at the very least flirt with it so yes some have made that comparison or have flirted with the big boy league when it comes to Atlanta. After 2018 I see some promising thinks coming to Nashville in the Transit department though.
Atlanta is already a “big boy” city, no one would say Atlanta is one the level of the 3 cities you mention overall.

However, Atlanta has some of the same things as those cities by virtue of being a metro of 6 million and domanimating and being an anchor city for the whole southeast region of the US. Nashville hasn’t even definitively dominated Tennessee... yet.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:29 PM

108 posts, read 143,358 times
Quote:
Atlanta is already a “big boy” city, no one would say Atlanta is one the level of the 3 cities you mention overall.

However, Atlanta has some of the same things as those cities by virtue of being a metro of 6 million and domanimating and being an anchor city for the whole southeast region of the US. Nashville hasn’t even definitively dominated Tennessee... yet.
Nashville most definitely has dominated Tennessee...

Old 12-23-2017, 06:27 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:

I was agreeing with you to a certain extent but now your motivies are not adding up either and some of what you are saying isn't making sense. Your trying to fluff up one to minimise another, let's not go down this road today,,, both these cities can hold their own..Let me be specific in my definition of a Big boy cities, which are the Tier 1 cities , examples NYC's, Chicago's, LA's,, Atlanta is not on that level..

Old 12-23-2017, 08:17 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedfadedisbae View Post
Nashville most definitely has dominated Tennessee...
Don’t forget Memphis....

Minneapolis for me.

Four seasons and friendly people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City