Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 03:58 AM

3,212 posts, read 2,218,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
It only reaches -20 once or twice a year in Minneapolis, and that's including wind chill. Even for those who don't like cold, spring, summer and fall in a four season climate easily provide 8 months of pleasant weather. Many people have snow plows which makes it really easy and only needs to be done whenever it snows (once every week or two). No need to scrape ice when you have a garage.
I worked a year there when I was on a project and I was much younger. To me, you only have 2-3 months of nice weather with high winds, freezing temps and you do gets some humidity in the summer. I much more prefer the Phoenix climate than Minneapolis...fortunately apparently a significant number like that (4 seasons) type climate and you can have it, not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 07:57 AM

80 posts, read 95,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I worked a year there when I was on a project and I was much younger. To me, you only have 2-3 months of nice weather with high winds, freezing temps and you do gets some humidity in the summer. I much more prefer the Phoenix climate than Minneapolis...fortunately apparently a significant number like that (4 seasons) type climate and you can have it, not for me.
Glad you found a climate that works for you then. I was last in Phoenix in January and it was very pleasant then.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:48 AM

4,357 posts, read 4,185,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
Guess you've never experienced snow forts, snowball fights, snowmen and snow angels, sledding, tubing, snowboarding, downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, ice skating, hockey, ice castles and sculptures, etc. And if you also love swimming then I can understand where you are coming from.
I have experienced a lot of those things, they can be fun but I can live without them. Yes I prefer swimming and summer sports to all of those.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:09 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,901,923 times
I'm limiting myself to only 3 cities in CA, because I could easily list 4 or 5. Figured I would spread the love to other cities/states. lol

1. San Diego
2. Los Angeles
3. Albuquerque
4. San Francisco
5. El Paso
6. Las Vegas
7. Phoenix
8. SLC
9. Honolulu
10. Denver

Old 12-12-2017, 10:31 AM

4,357 posts, read 4,185,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I'm limiting myself to only 3 cities in CA, because I could easily list 4 or 5. Figured I would spread the love to other cities/states. lol

1. San Diego
2. Los Angeles
3. Albuquerque
4. San Francisco
5. El Paso
6. Las Vegas
7. Phoenix
8. SLC
9. Honolulu
10. Denver
I forgot about ABQ, it should probably be in my list to.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:48 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,972,293 times
I like cold and snow and a definite four season climate (although I could do without summer). I am partial to the Midwest and Northeast. My top ten, in no particular order would be;
Detroit
Boston
Denver
Chicago
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Minneapolis
Milwaukee
Grand Rapids

Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 PM

9,331 posts, read 9,185,202 times
Quote:
Basically my criteria is how many days will the weather be pleasant so you would want to be outside...on that scale, Phoenix tops most places except some areas of Cali.
I would take a 50 degree autumn days in the Northeast over the 3 straight months of 110 degrees in Phoenix.

Not everyone loves the heat.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:25 AM

3,212 posts, read 2,218,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would take a 50 degree autumn days in the Northeast over the 3 straight months of 110 degrees in Phoenix.

Not everyone loves the heat.
Would you prefer a 50 degree autumn day and mid 30's night in the NE or 80 (low humidity) autumn day and night temps in the 50's in Phoenix?...Phoenix every time for me

Would you prefer 110 degrees in Phoenix or blustery winds and -10 wind chill while shoveling snow in NE winter?...get in the pool and enjoy the water versus shoveling snow, again I take Phoenix.

Just as a reminder, I said I would take San Diego over anywhere in the US and to be more specific 10 miles inland in SD is my preference.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:50 AM

7,719 posts, read 6,353,251 times
Quote:
Neither do I, nor do I want to be outside when it's -20 and gale force winds. Phoenix gets 7-8 months of excellent weather which is by far more than most of the country and the bad weather months are custom made to hop in a pool....plus, no snow to shovel or ice to scrape off your car every time you go out in the winter.

We only have to shovel snow after a big snowfall and it's the middle of December we have yet to have a snowfall of more than one or two inches. Ice scraping you have to more frequently however it's only about 3-4 months of that. What's wrong with MN weather in April-October? Average highs range from 50s in April and October to 80s in summer. Average lows range from 30s to 60s. None of those temperatures are too bad unless you are a wuss and freeze in the 40s lol then that's on you.

-20 is super extreme here and it does happen but not all winter long. You will have some subzero days broken up by surprisingly mild winter days. It's not constantly Arctic weather. I guarantee it reaches 100 more in Phoenix than 0 in Minneapolis.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:58 AM

7,719 posts, read 6,353,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Liking the cold is silly to me. I've lived in North Eastern PA. Don't like the Cold. Phoenix might suck in the Summer (the reason why it was only 9 and not higher), but for most of the year it's 70-85 with abundant sunshine. Perfect weather. I don't understand how anyone could prefer cold and snow to that. Also If you couldn't tell, I'll take hot steamy Summers over brutally cold winters any day. Out of the list that guy made Denver and maybe Boston are the only climates I could tolerate.
And do you think Minnesota (which makes your hometowns winters look like a puppy dog in comparison) has snow and ice for every month but July or something? Most of the year it's not frozen here either and even when theres snow it's not brutally cold everyday. It's in the upper 20s right now that's pretty easy to deal with. Plus summers are gorgeous here and it gets super green in April. Seriously spring and summer are beautiful here. Phoenix is in the desert it's all brown and dead looking. Does not appeal to me.

I love snow. I love the crunching sound I love how it makes things look like real life Christmas cards. I don't like grey slush but that's a problem with city living, it's a minor thing compared to the beauty of a northern winter. I don't want it to last all year round but contrary to popular belief from people who never been up here... it doesn't. Hell it was almost 60 a week ago lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City