Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:06 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Silver Spring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 05:12 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Silver Spring is an appendage of Washington DC. If Washington DC were the same physical size as New York City, Silver Spring might be considered a core neighborhood. It's inside the Beltway, which is about the same size as Chicago.

New Rochelle is a true suburb. Far enough outside the city to have its own identity.

Walkability: Silver Spring

Affordability: Don't know. I would guess similar in price

Education: Both are decent

Shopping: New Rochelle, since Silver Spring has nothing good

Public Transportation options: Silver Spring

Nightlife: Silver Spring
Thanks for actually explaining why.

Just to clear something up, but New Rochelle is actually the 7th biggest city in NY State.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:57 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Silver Spring has stops on the rapid transit system and borders DC which itself has small physical boundaries. I think it probably makes more sense to pick up a city in the DC area that has a little CBD and does not have rapid transit access. Perhaps Bowie?

Old 12-28-2017, 08:38 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Silver Spring has stops on the rapid transit system and borders DC which itself has small physical boundaries. I think it probably makes more sense to pick up a city in the DC area that has a little CBD and does not have rapid transit access. Perhaps Bowie?
Bowie is a postwar, planned community in a similar vein to Levittown, which itself is fairly well removed from NYC proper. The major difference of course is that NYC has much larger physical boundaries. Eastern PG and central Anne Arundel is the closest thing to a western Long Island comparison for that matter. The Baltimore area is sort of like Connecticut being its own sub-region, but of course Baltimore is a much larger city. The closest thing to "Boroughs" in DC are the four quadrants, with NW the largest and SW the smallest. Arlington and Alexandria could be compared to Hudson County, NJ being right across the river and having lots of higher density development with lots of transit access. But you could also compare Silver Spring with southern suburban cities like Plano, TX or Sandy Springs, GA since SS is somewhat newer than New Rochelle.

Baltimore's equivalent of Silver Spring, Towson, doesn't have rapid transit access. I guess comparing that with New Rochelle would be better, with its two colleges its wild card placing it ahead in the education category.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:24 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
New Rochelle does have rail access, including express rail access from its train station that is a 30 minute ride to Grand Central. http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/sta...il.cfm?key=206

Old 12-28-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
New Rochelle does have rail access, including express rail access from its train station that is a 30 minute ride to Grand Central. MNR Stations
Right, but the difference between frequent and relatively inexpensive rapid transit and commuter rail is pretty notable. Bowie, which I'm not saying is a perfect comparison, also has commuter rail access with MARC, but no rapid transit.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Bowie is a postwar, planned community in a similar vein to Levittown, which itself is fairly well removed from NYC proper. The major difference of course is that NYC has much larger physical boundaries. Eastern PG and central Anne Arundel is the closest thing to a western Long Island comparison for that matter. The Baltimore area is sort of like Connecticut being its own sub-region, but of course Baltimore is a much larger city. The closest thing to "Boroughs" in DC are the four quadrants, with NW the largest and SW the smallest. Arlington and Alexandria could be compared to Hudson County, NJ being right across the river and having lots of higher density development with lots of transit access. But you could also compare Silver Spring with southern suburban cities like Plano, TX or Sandy Springs, GA since SS is somewhat newer than New Rochelle.

Baltimore's equivalent of Silver Spring, Towson, doesn't have rapid transit access. I guess comparing that with New Rochelle would be better, with its two colleges its wild card placing it ahead in the education category.
Yea, you're right in that Bowie is a much newer kind of suburban development.

I think the OP was looking for a comparison for DC and a suburb that was analogous to one for NYC and New Rochelle, rather than for Baltimore.

Also, I think if we were going the other way around of trying to find something equivalent to Silver Spring in the DC area for the NYC area, Jersey City might be the ticket though the latter is quite a bit more historic and densely built up than Silver Spring. My argument for the comparison would be that it borders NYC proper, has rapid transit access into the city, and a lot of residential and commercial spillover from the larger major city.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:18 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, you're right in that Bowie is a much newer kind of suburban development.

I think the OP was looking for a comparison for DC and a suburb that was analogous to one for NYC and New Rochelle, rather than for Baltimore.

Also, I think if we were going the other way around of trying to find something equivalent to Silver Spring in the DC area for the NYC area, Jersey City might be the ticket though the latter is quite a bit more historic and densely built up than Silver Spring. My argument for the comparison would be that it borders NYC proper, has rapid transit access into the city, and a lot of residential and commercial spillover from the larger major city.
Arlington and Alexandria are like Hoboken and JC, IMO.
I'm don't think there's an equivalent to SS and Bethesda in the NYC metro area. Too many NIMBYs and small towns surrounding NYC.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 574 times
New Rochelle is an interesting 'town'. I say town but it really is a small city. It is long and thin, stretching east to west across lower Westchester. Each section has a distinct personality. There are VERY expensive houses and country clubs, as well as a downtown area that is RIFE with crime,drugs and poverty.

I know, because I live there.

I am on the very edge of the 2-5 million dollar house area. If you are looking for excitement, there is nightlife. But there is also a lot of crime.

Some of the grammar and middle schools are quite good but most of the wealthy people in the town send their kids to private school by HS. It is not a terrible school, but there has been a lot of crime there lately and its simply TOO big to get great scores across the board. I came from Brooklyn so I fit right in, but I am getting tired of it. I would rather live in the city or in a true small town. Hope this helps.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:35 AM

239 posts, read 231,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Both are diverse suburban cities in the Bos-Wash Corridor of essentially the same population. Which would you choose based upon this criteria:

Walkability

Affordability

Education

Shopping

Public Transportation options

Nightlife
Walkability - New Rochelle

Location - New Rochelle by far

Affordability - Silver Spring

Education - New Rochelle

Shopping - Tie

Public Transportation options - New Rochelle by far

Nightlife - New Rochelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City