Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is better
St. Louis 57 44.53%
Phoenix 71 55.47%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:55 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
To me, the city of STL just has more charm and history without a doubt. And the crime everyone claims is so bad, is literally contained to a very few select areas, most of STL and all of its suburbs are very nice areas.

The style of Phoenix is completely unappealing to me. The style of homes, scenery, weather, etc...I just don’t care for any of it. Fake grass or rocks as my yard, no thank you. But that’s my personal opinion.
To be fair, not ALL of PHX is stucco homes. Most of the homes in central PHX, etc, are old, including bungalows and other assorted styles, most of which have grass lots. And yes, its REAL grass. The outlying boomburbs have the typical Mediterranean style homes with rock or faux grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 11:04 AM

615 posts, read 1,374,810 times
According to Forbes, St. Louis the second-most dangerous city in the USA:

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj4.../#ce88bba484ff

In 1950, St. Louis had a population of about 857,000, yet today the population is under 311,000. Thus, St. Louis has lost over half of its population in the past 67 years. This appears to be the characteristic of a city in serious decline. According to Wikipedia, "St. Louis's population decline has resulted in a significant increase of abandoned residential housing units and vacant lots throughout the city proper; this blight has attracted much wildlife (such as deer and coyotes) to the many abandoned overgrown lots."

Also, the article states, "St. Louis has lost 62.7% of its population since the 1950 United States Census, the highest percent of any city that had a population of 100,000 or more at the time of the 1950 Census."

How could such a great city have declined so precipitously? Undoubtedly, St. Louis is not a good place to live. I would not want to live in a city that has lost over 62% of its population since its population peak.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:23 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post

How could such a great city have declined so precipitously? Undoubtedly, St. Louis is not a good place to live. I would not want to live in a city that has lost over 62% of its population since its population peak.
That's a strange thing to say. Crime in STL is limited to pockets, and the city is seeing a nice resurgence downtown, and the suburbs are nice. COL is very affordable, and there are booming areas downtown. Don't base an entire city off population loss.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:37 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Quote:

In 1950, St. Louis had a population of about 857,000, yet today the population is under 311,000. Thus, St. Louis has lost over half of its population in the past 67 years. This appears to be the characteristic of a city in serious decline. According to Wikipedia, "St. Louis's population decline has resulted in a significant increase of abandoned residential housing units and vacant lots throughout the city proper; this blight has attracted much wildlife (such as deer and coyotes) to the many abandoned overgrown lots."

Also, the article states, "St. Louis has lost 62.7% of its population since the 1950 United States Census, the highest percent of any city that had a population of 100,000 or more at the time of the 1950 Census."

You’re basing your “opinion” (which isn’t a legit one, considering you have 0 experience in STL), off of some stats online.

The majority of STL is extremely safe. Crime is very contained in certain areas/pockets, and the suburbs of STL are among the safest in the US. The schools in STL are also among the best in the US. The bad areas of STL are very bad, no doubt. But those are areas are not what the entire city is like.

I’m assuming you’re one of the people who takes everything they hear/see to heart, and believes the media. I feel sorry for you

Old 12-28-2017, 12:58 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,799 times
Quote:

Yet there are almost 3 million people in the St. Louis area. The metro has a lower crime rate than Phoenix.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:03 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I know that St Louis had a normal high of 41° and a normal low of 22° yesterday, but that is still too cold. Our normal high and low yesterday were 65° and 43°; much better
Too cold for you but weather is personal. I mean the current cold snap sucks right now for me but our typical winter is mild for a true 4 season climate and that is my preference. Even the worst of our summer only lasts about 2 months. Phoenix weather sucks to me. I hate being really hot. Totally personal.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Too cold for you but weather is personal. I mean the current cold snap sucks right now for me but our typical winter is mild for a true 4 season climate and that is my preference. Even the worst of our summer only lasts about 2 months. Phoenix weather sucks to me. I hate being really hot. Totally personal.
What's your definition of really hot? Right now, I need a jacket in the mornings here; and you guys get some tropical heat and humidity in your summer. I remember being in St Louis one day last July when it was well in the 90s with a dewpoint approaching 80°, and thought I was going to keel over. Thank God it never gets that muggy here 👍

Old 12-28-2017, 05:26 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
[quote=Greg10556;50524215]For you, maybe. I actually enjoy the cold. I enjoy 4 legitimate seasons.[/QUOTE

Fine but 72>12

Old 12-28-2017, 05:46 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That's your opinion.

I'd personally take 41 over 118 any day, any time.
Maybe you should move to Saint Louis

Old 12-28-2017, 06:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Maybe you should move to Saint Louis
Exactly, and comparing a record summer high here to a normal winter high in St Louis is disingenuous. A more apt comparison would be to compare a record cold day in St Louis, like yesterday to a record hot day here. I would take 118/84 over 12/2 in a heartbeat!👍

For someone who lives here, BIG CATS seems to bag on this place a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City