Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is better
St. Louis 57 44.53%
Phoenix 71 55.47%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:19 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Different in what sense? Phoenix is definitely home to a large portion of this region's poverty as well. The central Phoenix area has seen a strong rebound since the recession and is adding population, I assume the fringes are still growing as well but at nowhere near the pace of the late 90's to early 2000's.
517 square miles compared to 60? That is a huge difference. If St. Louis was half that the crime stats and wealth would be totally different.

Pheonix may be a better place idk. Pulling stats and comparing apples to egg plants is crazy. When I mentioned the low unemployment stats or crime stats in metro St. Louis its a oh no this is only about the city.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 01-07-2018 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 03:32 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Different in what sense? Phoenix is definitely home to a large portion of this region's poverty as well. The central Phoenix area has seen a strong rebound since the recession and is adding population, I assume the fringes are still growing as well but at nowhere near the pace of the late 90's to early 2000's.
Phoenix proper is home to the metro's worst neighborhoods in terms of crime rate and poverty I would argue. Glendale, Tolleson, Guadalupe, and possibly Mesa would come next (not in order).

Old 01-09-2018, 02:59 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That's your opinion.

I'd personally take 41 over 118 any day, any time.
To be completely frank, that's a silly comparison. 118 is still exception hot even by Phoenix standards.( about 15 above the average high) What you should do is compare average winter highs. 70>40. Or even spring and fall where Phoenix on the whole still has better weather IMO. Also keep in mind STL doesn't exactly have nice summers, rather humid with lots of thunderstorms.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:58 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
To be completely frank, that's a silly comparison. 118 is still exception hot even by Phoenix standards.( about 15 above the average high) What you should do is compare average winter highs. 70>40. Or even spring and fall where Phoenix on the whole still has better weather IMO. Also keep in mind STL doesn't exactly have nice summers, rather humid with lots of thunderstorms.
To some Thunderstorms are amazing, I’m one of those “some” who enjoy it. I don’t want to go all year without rain.

Phoenix averages 8” of rainfall per year, that’s less than most places and to me, isn’t pleasant.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:43 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
To some Thunderstorms are amazing, I’m one of those “some” who enjoy it. I don’t want to go all year without rain.

Phoenix averages 8” of rainfall per year, that’s less than most places and to me, isn’t pleasant.
But our summer thunderstorms are incredible...

Old 01-09-2018, 04:57 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Quote:
But our summer thunderstorms are incredible...
For the 10 minutes they last? 8” of rainfall is the 2nd lowest in the US, only behind Vegas

Old 01-09-2018, 10:19 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
For the 10 minutes they last? 8” of rainfall is the 2nd lowest in the US, only behind Vegas
You said thunderstorms which doesn’t necessarily mean a lot of rain, we get a decent amount of thunderstorms we don’t get a ton of rain obviously. Another thing about AZ is things tend to be a lot different without traveling too far, even suburbs of Phoenix get quite a bit more rain. Carefree averages > 13” per year, 90 minutes away in Sedona you’re in the 20” range, 2 hours away in Flag and you’re over 20” with another 77” of snowfall.

But back to Phoenix, monsoon storms tend to dump rain within a small area but can easily hit 1”+ in a night. They kick off anytime in the afternoon and can last well into the evening. Besides rain alone the lightning, thunder, and haboobs are all part of it. For as many sunny days as we have a year in the state we actually

http://static.lakana.com/nxsglobal/y....0_640_360.jpg

Old 01-09-2018, 11:09 PM

69 posts, read 155,446 times
quality of life - Phoenix
economy - Phoenix
nightlife - Don't know...
scenery - Phoenix by a mile
daytime activities/events - Phoenix
shopping/entertainment venues - Phoenix
transportation - St Louis
overall vibe - Purely preference....laid back vs more urban
crime rate - Phoenix

Old 01-10-2018, 08:19 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Same goes for Phoenix.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:21 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Our thunderstorms in Phoenix might not dump a ton of rain, but the lightning and thunder can be quite vicious at times. And while we don't get a ton of rain, it floods here like crazy when it rains over an inch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City