Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincy, KC, or STL?
Cincinnati 30 48.39%
Kansas City 16 25.81%
St Louis 16 25.81%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:20 AM

1,013 posts, read 912,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
I am not saying Cincinnati doesn't have an Appalachian feel to it because it sits right next to Appalachia. But I am going to assume that just based off topography you're trying to say that Cincinnati feels rural, which is not true in any stretch. There are parts of Pittsburgh that feel like small Appalachian towns, but again, Pittsburgh's topography throughout the entire city limits is more pronounced than in Cincy, and anyone who has spent a significant amount of time in both knows this. Just because a hill cuts you off from one neighborhood to another doesn't mean the city is rural when you have another dense neighborhood on the other side. Sorry, but block after block of flat vacated land in one LARGE concentrated area seems more rural to me than some hills.

It's not that you didn't mention anything about Cincinnati being close to Kentucky, but I have seen countless other St. Louis boosters do it. St. Louis is not some superior city to other peers like its posters try to make it out to be.
I don’t live in any of these places but I’m a fan of cities as they all have something to offer and I live to travel and meet new people and see new places. That said what turns me off about St Louis is the odd sense of superiority/entitlement I get from the local posters here. Maybe it’s everywhere but for me if you don’t like my town or area I don’t care we have too many people already. But these comparisons are a pointless discussion, one that will not come to a consensus. It doesn’t really matter about these things just something I’ve noticed and don’t understand it. Can anyone enlighten me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 12:02 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times
If anything St. Louis is the redheaded stepchild of city-data. It's always pulled into city vs city debates and if St. Louisans post facts that's contrary to popular opinion, the mudslinging begins. People from St. Louis are usually very critical of the city, but will defend the city if others bash it or spread misinformation. I simply stated an observation that was my opinion. I never said that Cincy was Southern, didn't have urban areas, or wasn't a beautiful city (definitely a more attractive riverfront than St. Louis). I just made the statement that St. Louis was more walkable outside the central core/downtown and the poster from Cincy immediately started bashing the worst areas of St. Louis. I apologize to any posters from Cincy that got offeneded by my commentary, but I've always felt that Cincy and Pittsbugh felt more patchier than St. Louis, but obviously that is a product of geography and St. Louis would have development similarly if it had that same topography.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:51 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,368 times
Goat314 I get it and I really like STL a lot, I just think that your town stands on its own-it doesn’t need to defend itself and I didn’t mean you personally when I responded. You’re always a fair player on here. I always, in my business life and personal life, try and take the high road. So some people can put another down to make them look better but in reality it usually has the opposite effect. But on public forums it’s not worth the energy at least for me, you never know if you’re talking to a 14 year old or a robot or a curmudgeon that lives to argue....��

Anyway go St Louis ��

Old 12-15-2018, 11:44 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
St. Louis this year put in a new station for its light rail system as well as a freeway cap park between downtown and its iconic arch along with other improvements. I do wish they had extended the freeway park one block north and one block south.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:52 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
If anything St. Louis is the redheaded stepchild of city-data. It's always pulled into city vs city debates and if St. Louisans post facts that's contrary to popular opinion, the mudslinging begins. People from St. Louis are usually very critical of the city, but will defend the city if others bash it or spread misinformation. I simply stated an observation that was my opinion. I never said that Cincy was Southern, didn't have urban areas, or wasn't a beautiful city (definitely a more attractive riverfront than St. Louis). I just made the statement that St. Louis was more walkable outside the central core/downtown and the poster from Cincy immediately started bashing the worst areas of St. Louis. I apologize to any posters from Cincy that got offeneded by my commentary, but I've always felt that Cincy and Pittsbugh felt more patchier than St. Louis, but obviously that is a product of geography and St. Louis would have development similarly if it had that same topography.
St.Louis typically comes in last or next to last place in these debates. There are a few nice developments happening in the city, however. It is interesting how Cincinnati and Kansas City metro areas are growing, while St. Louis is mostly stagnant.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
St.Louis typically comes in last or next to last place in these debates. There are a few nice developments happening in the city, however. It is interesting how Cincinnati and Kansas City metro areas are growing, while St. Louis is mostly stagnant.
I don't know if growth is part of the criteria but St Louis has peaked given its current system of government.

If there was a city-county merger and they would adopt a borough system of governing, St Louis would take off again.

I love all three.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:45 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I don't know if growth is part of the criteria but St Louis has peaked given its current system of government.

If there was a city-county merger and they would adopt a borough system of governing, St Louis would take off again.

I love all three.
Agreed. St. Louis should have merged decades ago. The current system is not working.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:17 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
St. Louis this year put in a new station for its light rail system as well as a freeway cap park between downtown and its iconic arch along with other improvements. I do wish they had extended the freeway park one block north and one block south.
Downtown seems to finally be having its moment. There's currently 13 hotels in development in downtown St. Louis (many of which are historic rehabs), Ballpark Village is finally living up to its initial promise, the aquarium at Union Station is due to open next year, $175 million in upgrades is planned for the convention center, the Arch's museum was completely redeveloped, a privately funded MLS stadium will go up next to Union Station if St. Louis lands one of the expansion teams, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City