U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Quebec City or Buffalo
Quebec City 39 75.00%
Buffalo 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2017, 06:55 PM
 
33 posts, read 49,172 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Both cities of similar size (city around 400,000-500,000 and metro around 1,000,000 people).

Which of the 2 is better in your opinion?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2017, 07:08 PM
 
77,838 posts, read 105,856,346 times
Reputation: 16670
Buffalo actually has about 250-260,000 in the city and 1.1 million in the metro area. Quebec City has about 800-850,000 in its metro area. I’d pick Buffalo due to location and size. From what I’ve seen of Quebec City, it has some very nice architecture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2017, 08:53 PM
 
16,029 posts, read 26,574,862 times
Reputation: 6720
Omg, Quebec City!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 12:05 PM
 
23,696 posts, read 7,933,761 times
Reputation: 8638
Buffalo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 01:05 PM
 
Location: East Boston, MA
10,974 posts, read 19,459,769 times
Reputation: 12682
Here's where Buffalo wins:

1) Proximity to other cities and populated areas. Quebec City can feel isolated.
2) Public transit. Quebec isn't bad, but Buffalo has an actual metro and decent bus system.
3) Professional Sports. Bills and Sabres. Until Quebec gets the Nordiques back, they're not a major league town.
4) Diversity. Quebec City is unique from an American perspective because it's Quebecois and Francophone. But it's homogeneous, especially compared to big sister Montreal. Buffalo offers more on that front.

But overall for me, it's Quebec City and it's hard to not throw in "by a mile." Quebec City is prettier (architecturally and in terms of scenery), safer, cleaner, has better cultural attractions and institutions, better dining and shopping, etc. I'd rather visit or live in Quebec City (even as an English speaker) than Buffalo. I've, at times, looked for jobs in Quebec hoping to find something. I'd live there if I had the chance. On the contrary, while I don't hate Buffalo, I don't think I'd accept an offer to live/work there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 01:21 PM
 
12,589 posts, read 12,809,628 times
Reputation: 8979
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Here's where Buffalo wins:

1) Proximity to other cities and populated areas. Quebec City can feel isolated.
2) Public transit. Quebec isn't bad, but Buffalo has an actual metro and decent bus system.
3) Professional Sports. Bills and Sabres. Until Quebec gets the Nordiques back, they're not a major league town.
4) Diversity. Quebec City is unique from an American perspective because it's Quebecois and Francophone. But it's homogeneous, especially compared to big sister Montreal. Buffalo offers more on that front.

But overall for me, it's Quebec City and it's hard to not throw in "by a mile." Quebec City is prettier (architecturally and in terms of scenery), safer, cleaner, has better cultural attractions and institutions, better dining and shopping, etc. I'd rather visit or live in Quebec City (even as an English speaker) than Buffalo. I've, at times, looked for jobs in Quebec hoping to find something. I'd live there if I had the chance. On the contrary, while I don't hate Buffalo, I don't think I'd accept an offer to live/work there.
What cultural institutions does Quebec exceed Buffalo in? Buffalo has a significant Theatre District, and a very good Art Museum for its size.

Most of Quebecs charm seems to be it's Francophone novelty which would wear off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 01:39 PM
 
Location: East Boston, MA
10,974 posts, read 19,459,769 times
Reputation: 12682
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What cultural institutions does Quebec exceed Buffalo in? Buffalo has a significant Theatre District, and a very good Art Museum for its size.

Most of Quebecs charm seems to be it's Francophone novelty which would wear off.
Have you been to Quebec? I feel like anyone who has been would never say the bolded. Quebec's "charm" largely stems from the old walled city (the only one of its kind in the U.S. or Canada) which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. That is the number one cultural institution in Quebec as it's a living, breathing history museum. There's nothing close in Buffalo or most other North American cities (not even Boston). It's also a strikingly beautiful place architecturally and offers a great amount of Quebecois culture. It's hardly a "novelty."

Quebec is also famous for it's theaters., including two of the biggest and best at Place D'Youville.

Quebec's Citadelle is fascinating, as is the Musee De La Civilisation. Musee National des Beaux-arts du Quebec rivals art museums in many larger cities as well.

Outside of that, Quebec's local art, music, and dining scene is definitely a notch above what you'll find in Buffalo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 03:31 PM
 
77,838 posts, read 105,856,346 times
Reputation: 16670
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Have you been to Quebec? I feel like anyone who has been would never say the bolded. Quebec's "charm" largely stems from the old walled city (the only one of its kind in the U.S. or Canada) which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. That is the number one cultural institution in Quebec as it's a living, breathing history museum. There's nothing close in Buffalo or most other North American cities (not even Boston). It's also a strikingly beautiful place architecturally and offers a great amount of Quebecois culture. It's hardly a "novelty."

Quebec is also famous for it's theaters., including two of the biggest and best at Place D'Youville.

Quebec's Citadelle is fascinating, as is the Musee De La Civilisation. Musee National des Beaux-arts du Quebec rivals art museums in many larger cities as well.

Outside of that, Quebec's local art, music, and dining scene is definitely a notch above what you'll find in Buffalo.
While I know what you are saying, I think the fact that Buffalo is a more diverse city, the bolded may come down to preferences/offerings.


Again, with that said, here is some more information about Quebec City: We Know Exactly Why Quebec City Was Named Culture City Of 2016
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 03:37 PM
 
77,838 posts, read 105,856,346 times
Reputation: 16670
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What cultural institutions does Quebec exceed Buffalo in? Buffalo has a significant Theatre District, and a very good Art Museum for its size.

Most of Quebecs charm seems to be it's Francophone novelty which would wear off.
Buffalo, or at least the metro area does have ArtPark in Lewiston near Niagara Falls and some other live music venues as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 03:45 PM
 
Location: In the heights
33,964 posts, read 33,112,053 times
Reputation: 18519
Quebec City is more than just a pretty historic vacation--it's also a functioning provincial government center with a sizable and growing economy in various sectors. The city and metro is incredibly safe in regards to violent crime and it has a larger expanse of walkable neighborhoods which is not relegated to the scenic but touristy Old Quebec. Buffalo in its heyday was certainly the much more prosperous city, but the urban renewal and flight to the suburbs it experienced in the latter 20th century really did a number on it. It can certainly bounce back, but at the moment Quebec City, francophilia (quebecophilia) aside, is the safer, and faster growing city and that's on top of being more historic and arguably more scenic. I imagine if Buffalo were in Canada somehow, it'd be doing gangbusters right now.

I like both quite a bit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top