Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 11:21 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
6/11/2018 8:00 PM Mega update for numerous cities
Pittsburgh, PA 28
A famous rapper, Jimmy Wopo, (that I have never heard of?!) was just gunned down in Pittsburgh's Hill District. We are now at 29. This is above-average so far for the year.

Based upon our 2016 population estimate of 303,625 that leaves us with a rate of 9.56 per 100,000 people. That is still the 10th-highest rate in the country as per the rate chart on the prior page of this thread.

For as highly-lauded as Pittsburgh's recent tech renaissance has been we still need to do a lot to help black Pittsburgh, which is not being swept up in our upswing.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 06-20-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 03:26 PM

6,542 posts, read 12,040,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Jacksonville Florida has had a roughhhhhh june. 17 confirmed murders and 1 undetermined death in the first 19 days.
Looks like it's catching up after being quiet for such a long time. It was at the same number for awhile (like 35-ish for the year to date).

Old 06-20-2018, 05:33 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
A famous rapper, Jimmy Wopo, (that I have never heard of?!) was just gunned down in Pittsburgh's Hill District. We are now at 29. This is above-average so far for the year.

Based upon our 2016 population estimate of 303,625 that leaves us with a rate of 9.56 per 100,000 people. That is still the 10th-highest rate in the country as per the rate chart on the prior page of this thread.

For as highly-lauded as Pittsburgh's recent tech renaissance has been we still need to do a lot to help black Pittsburgh, which is not being swept up in our upswing.
Word is that he was involved in a few shootings. I guess the street life caught up to him.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:39 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,530 times
Only in USA where murder makes you famous and liked and in New Orleans it makes you a legend sadly. NYC is doing the best I have seen of any US City.

Last edited by Vanderbiltgrad; 06-20-2018 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 08:34 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Word is that he was involved in a few shootings. I guess the street life caught up to him.
Being a famous rapper living in your city is what caught up to him. A lot of jealous people from your own neighborhood. He had been shot at twice before and was planning on leaving. Another rapper earlier that day was gunned down in Broward County, Florida too. XXXTentacion was rolling without security which none of these up-and-coming rappers should be doing nowadays. People don't like seeing you succeeding.

I hope it's not a bad summer but hasn't started off well.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:32 PM

448 posts, read 591,756 times
Albuquerque at 39 so far, not counting justifiable shootings.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:16 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,096,281 times
Jackson, MS - 38

Old 06-23-2018, 08:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Very interesting. Half of the neighborhoods in St. Louis have 0 homicides for the year. The most dangerous is a depopulated Wells Goodfellow at 6. Ofcourse these neighborhoods are much smaller than Chicago in terms of population size and density.
What I was measuring in Chicago was not neighborhood. It's by community area - there is a big difference. Community Areas are large areas that almost always encompass multiple neighborhoods. For example, the Lake View community area is made up of neighborhoods like Wrigleyville, Boystown, Lakeview East, etc. Near North Side is made up of neighborhoods like River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast, etc. Bronzeville is actually a neighborhood within the Grand Boulevard, Douglas, etc community areas. Douglas is made up of numerous neighborhoods like Bronzeville, Prairie Shores, Groveland Park, etc. Community Areas are officially recognized by the government - so much so that census tracts roll up almost always perfectly into community areas (which makes collecting data pretty easy by community area).

Point being, the percentage that I gave would be much higher in Chicago if done by the neighborhood level. Just by community area alone through 5 total months of 2018 (January through May), 31 of the 77 community areas of Chicago did not record a single homicide yet. The total 2016 population of these areas combined is 871,857 people. In other words, larger than San Francisco, larger than Boston, larger than Seattle, about 2.75 times larger than the city of St. Louis, etc.

In the above, I'm not counting the entire area of Lake View (about 100,000 people) because it had 1 homicide, which occurred in West Lakeview neighborhood on January 12th. However, if we counted things by neighborhood like you are doing for St. Louis, then at least 75,000 or 80,000 people for Lakeview would be counted in this calculation because all the other neighborhoods in the community area haven't recorded a homicide yet this year.

So if you just expand out to community areas that recorded 1 homicide each this year, then it's another 14 areas totaling nearly 482,871 people. So together it's 1,354,728 people in Chicago living in community areas that have recorded only 14 total homicides this year, or a homicide rate of 1.033 per 100K which if it were its own city would be one of the lowest rates of any city in the US. If that was its own city it would also be the 9th largest US city - nearly 15,000 people larger than the entire city of Dallas. That entire area is about 1/2 of the entire city with a pretty minimal homicide rate at over 1.3 million people.

I think for anybody who has lived or lived in Chicago long enough, wasn't living under a rock, and actually got out to numerous parts of town (i.e. living on the North Side, someone who actually went to numerous South Side areas, or the other way around) that what I'm saying is 0% surprising. Most people who actually got out in Chicago to numerous areas know this and know that a large percentage of the homicides are really happening in just a handful of community areas.

But at the same time, what you say about St. Louis is also not surprising because this is how things work in most cities. Most parts of town are fine and hardly see a single homicide any year and might never see a homicide for years on end.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Only in USA where murder makes you famous and liked and in New Orleans it makes you a legend sadly. NYC is doing the best I have seen of any US City.
Los Angeles isn’t doing bad itself.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:44 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
The Bronx, NY is up to a 69% increase in homicides this year, 44 this year to 26 last year.

Bronx is the only throwback borough to the dark days of NYC. Every other borough has seen decline in homicides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City