Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 11:27 AM

13,962 posts, read 13,726,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Why are police methods that NYPD use that Chicago doesn’t?

It seems that Chicago cops do foot patrols also don’t they?
Neighborhood Policing, Watch towers, Anti-Blight etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 11:29 AM

13,962 posts, read 13,726,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Chicago has TONS of cops. I remember visiting my relative that lives in the Englewood neighborhood and I swear I couldn't go 2 minutes without seeing a cop somewhere. They are literally everywhere it seems, well in the bad areas, and yet the shootings don't stop. Chicago just has a different culture and environment than NYC. What happened in NYC obviously isn't going to work in the Chi. It's a totally different beast.
Chicago bad areas, North Philly, Bailtmore, New Orleans, Jackson, Memphis seem to be different beast than NYC

Old 08-06-2018, 12:17 PM

2,612 posts, read 2,039,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Disturbing numbers, Chicago is such a troubled city. I wonder how high the murder rate would be if you leave out the 'safe' parts of Chicago. The highest in the nation probably.

I read the article in the link and there's no real explanation as to why there's this sudden outburst of violence other than that 'it's gang related'. Perhaps it's the weather or there's something in the water.
It's vendetta, domestic violence , and drug related incidents.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:19 PM

2,612 posts, read 2,039,871 times
If there's still a shock and awe factor to Chicago's violence then your ignorant to the history of violence in that city.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:30 PM

5,425 posts, read 5,648,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Neighborhood Policing, Watch towers, Anti-Blight etc
Plus they get warrants for PJs and do coordinated raids, etc and confiscate all the guns and round up all those people for possession before they get to shoot those guns. With the amount of concentrated violence in Chicago, half the people in certain neighborhoods got outstanding warrants or they are carrying illegal guns. Instead, CPD waits until the shooting happens and then they show up. NYPD also uses those watch towers equipped with radar to see who is carrying, I don't know if CPD has those.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:17 PM

899 posts, read 1,067,184 times
NYC of the early 90's was much worse than Chicago of any year this past decade. Still managed to cut crime in half by 1997. There's no real excuse for Chicago in today's age of technology and sophisticated methods, especially not the fact it's a "totally different beast"; and considering in the early 90's they had just started compling data by precinct in NYC, the policing tactics were infantile in comparison to today.

Mind you, this is a global city of 2018 in the ranks of LA and Seoul we're talking about. Not some Jackson or Baltimore. I'm concerned by the nonchalant attitude towards this by some posters like it's meant to be that way just because of its high black urban population, in a city that represents our nation on a global scale. That speaks volumes, honestly, but I won't get into that.

NYC was no stranger to large numbers of people being shot in a single weekend, and Chicago's police force began to neglect areas that needed them most out of spite of negative publicity -- which NYC is also not a stranger of. The obstacles that NYC overcame were far more demanding and complex than anything Chicago is dealing with right now, they just need to get it together and outsmart the criminals instead of playing on their level and trying to intimidate them (which, has proven, never works).

Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 AM

832 posts, read 1,247,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
NYPD also uses those watch towers equipped with radar to see who is carrying, I don't know if CPD has those.
Wait... NYPD has a technology to see who is carrying a gun?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:39 AM

636 posts, read 603,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Chicago has TONS of cops. I remember visiting my relative that lives in the Englewood neighborhood and I swear I couldn't go 2 minutes without seeing a cop somewhere. They are literally everywhere it seems, well in the bad areas, and yet the shootings don't stop. Chicago just has a different culture and environment than NYC. What happened in NYC obviously isn't going to work in the Chi. It's a totally different beast.
On paper, the numbers of cops are pretty close but the actual presence can vary widely by neighborhood. I personally have always felt like cops are far more visible in NY. CPD also seems much less proactive and I've heard it said that many are afraid to get out of their cars (due to safety as well as fear of being recorded doing something excessive).

Chi also has an entrenched culture of banging which doesn't really exist in NY (always more about the money).

Old 08-07-2018, 07:46 AM

377 posts, read 333,580 times
Birmingham 68
B'ham Metro 100

as of 9/4

Old 08-07-2018, 11:12 AM

2,690 posts, read 3,154,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Why Chicago doesn’t use NYC policing
It has. Chicago is a different animal, however. Chicago used stop and frisk at a far higher rate than NYC did, but it did not lead to the same reduction and instead lead to a legal standoff with the ACLU. Chicago's gun laws are all but meaningless as well because there's nothing stopping someone trying to get a gun from crossing over into neighboring Indiana via the Skyway and buying all the guns they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City