Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 10:33 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That's what I think. The East coast doesn't come close to comparing to the west Coast and I would never ever consider living on the East Coast.

In general, West Coast people don't necessarily vocalize it that much but they believe they are in a far superior area than anywhere else in the US...or the world for that matter.

Deep down, I don't think East Coast people feel the same way though they may feel a strong connection with their city.
I mean objectively, for most (but of course not all) people, some place on the west coast is the best place. Little humidity, places that are lush, places that are dry, prettier mountains, better skiing, nicer beaches way better weather. By most metrics the west coast in general is a superior part of the country. The east has more cities, and isn't without natural beauty, but I think most people would choose the west if everything else were created equal (which of course it is not)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 11:04 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I have plenty of clues, from my extended family. I've heard "You're OK for an easterner", and all sorts of snarky stuff about said Easterners. My husband even asked me what I thought was wrong with that. I said, "what about the rest of my family, my friends, everyone I grew up with?"
Interesting...that's your experience. I've lived in the Midwest my entire life, and I don't hear that. I have relatives out East, and they don't come here with attitude, either. It's all in who you meet, who you talk to. I'm guessing that the people you know, aren't a big percentage of the 66 million that live in the Midwest.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:51 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
I have plenty of clues, from my extended family. I've heard "You're OK for an easterner", and all sorts of snarky stuff about said Easterners. My husband even asked me what I thought was wrong with that. I said, "what about the rest of my family, my friends, everyone I grew up with?"
But, to be fair a lot of Easterners have made a lot of jokes or said snarky comments about the Midwest for years. So, it's kind of like karma to Easterners for all the things they've dished out for decades.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:38 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
But, to be fair a lot of Easterners have made a lot of jokes or said snarky comments about the Midwest for years. So, it's kind of like karma to Easterners for all the things they've dished out for decades.
Plus the way it has been (and still) is portrayed by media and TV. There is the stereotype that if you really were smart or ambitious you would go to one of the big "It" cities instead of actually wanting to live in the Midwest.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:33 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I mean objectively, for most (but of course not all) people, some place on the west coast is the best place. Little humidity, places that are lush, places that are dry, prettier mountains, better skiing, nicer beaches way better weather. By most metrics the west coast in general is a superior part of the country. The east has more cities, and isn't without natural beauty, but I think most people would choose the west if everything else were created equal (which of course it is not)
100% true. If The West Coast was as cheap as Texas today (and if the California coast didn't have so many NIMBYs), it'd have 200M people.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Plus the way it has been (and still) is portrayed by media and TV. There is the stereotype that if you really were smart or ambitious you would go to one of the big "It" cities instead of actually wanting to live in the Midwest.
I'd much rather live in the Midwest, than the West Coast (too many natural disasters), Florida, Houston, NOLA, etc. I love the West Coast, but between fires, drought and earthquakes, it's not as desirable as it could be.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:44 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Oh, wow. You heard a comment from a family member. One. What about the 40 million other people that live in the Midwest?

And you're literally offended by their little remark when the East Coast people call the Midwest "flyover country"? Pot, meet kettle.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Maybr west coast by just a bit as the east coast seem to often come with a lot of self-deprecation and general disgust for aspect of itself.

I don’t think either has an overwhelming superiority complex in the US as there are different kinds of superiority complexes such as a greater moral superiority (ethical or religious) or some greater
claim to being more nativist or American than others.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:57 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
A few months ago, I posted a thread on which region has more of an inferiority complex: the Coasts or the Midwest? Now, I'm asking which region has a SUPERIORITY complex. The East Coast or the West Coast? There's debate here on CD that people from the East Coast think they're better than everyone else, and people think people on the West Coast are too Hollywood or image conscious. So, what do you think?

Here's the link to my previous thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-midwest.html
We don't take anything that happens in California seriously. They are a big moneyed joke. I live in the south where other parts of the country think it is open season and all right to bad mouth us any day of the week but I have news for them. The South doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone. Poor people in the south are superior to rich people elsewhere. We live better lives for less money. We have also tried to have decent laws but the SCOTUS keeps preventing our citizens from having decent laws. Think how barbaric it is for a mother to kill her offspring.

Last edited by NCN; 01-12-2018 at 09:06 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybr west coast by just a bit as the east coast seem to often come with a lot of self-deprecation and general disgust for aspect of itself.

I don’t think either has an overwhelming superiority complex in the US as there are different kinds of superiority complexes such as a greater moral superiority (ethical or religious) or some greater
claim to being more nativist or American than others.
It's an individual thing. Bullies will be bullies, no matter what region of the country they live in. People who feel superior, will feel superior, no matter where they live. Basically, a superiority complex shows an inferiority complex. No matter how deep, it's there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City