Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:31 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Lol...you bet. We turned down a job transfer to the east coast, so guess you're wrong.
Then why do you the feel the need to constantly mention that living on the coast is a choice and that's all it is, obviously you didn't make that choice.
If where to live is only a choice then there should be no need for this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 05:41 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Then why do you the feel the need to constantly mention that living on the coast is a choice and that's all it is, obviously you didn't make that choice.
If where to live is only a choice then there should be no need for this thread?
People should never feel superior, because of where they live. That's my point. It's quite obvious there are those who do feel this way, and it's really pretty silly. There shouldn't be a need for this thread, because living where you want, is a choice. We made ours, and we're happy with our choice.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:52 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
And the kids from the middle or south?
...aren't going to genetics seminars in DC

...j/k

Old 01-12-2018, 07:33 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
People should never feel superior, because of where they live. That's my point. It's quite obvious there are those who do feel this way, and it's really pretty silly. There shouldn't be a need for this thread, because living where you want, is a choice. We made ours, and we're happy with our choice.
I wish I didn't have to create this thread, but certain groups of people in those regions possess those mentalities out there.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:41 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Plus the way it has been (and still) is portrayed by media and TV. There is the stereotype that if you really were smart or ambitious you would go to one of the big "It" cities instead of actually wanting to live in the Midwest.
100% agree. Great post.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:42 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Southerners have the biggest superiority complex. "I'm from the south, and I'm proud, and if you don't like it, that's your problem."

Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I wish I didn't have to create this thread, but certain groups of people in those regions possess those mentalities out there.
Absolutely everyone who's been a dick on this thread has been from the West Coast.

I'm not saying that there aren't provincial snobs back in the I-95 corridor either. But they honestly don't give a crap whether the rest of the country likes them, or even thinks about them. They'd like it better if nobody else moved to their areas so it wouldn't get any more crowded than it already is. The West always has this weird evangelism to it that's very irritating.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:33 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
From what I've seen and heard, people on the West Coast truly believe they are living in the best region (I've spent significant time in all 5 major cities along the coast). It's a combination of the scenery, successful economies, influx of transplants (not really a good thing), lower crime rates, mild weather, laid back attitude, and progressive politics (meh).

And to be honest, there just isn't that much talk of other cities in other regions that I've noticed (outside of sports, travel plans, or news)
Don’t you think maybe the fact that you live on The West coast and spent a significant amount of time in those 5 cities could be the reason why you seem to hear more about them than others?

I personally hear about Philly and Miami way more than I ever hear about San Diego or Seattle for example, but that’s likely due to where I live. Do you honestly believe that there’s nothing going on in cities outside of the West coast? Like NYC and DC for 2 very painfully obvious examples? You don’t think the nations biggest, most well-known city is interesting enough or has anything going on ever that’s worth mentioning? Or what about the nations capital? You don’t think that might be an important place that people probably talk about often?

Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
I always consider the west coast Seattle to Phoenix, plus Las Vegas. Not a better region in the world imo.

But yes, sheer arrogance, the south trumps (no pun intended) both

Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Don’t you think maybe the fact that you live on The West coast and spent a significant amount of time in those 5 cities could be the reason why you seem to hear more about them than others?

I personally hear about Philly and Miami way more than I ever hear about San Diego or Seattle for example, but that’s likely due to where I live. Do you honestly believe that there’s nothing going on in cities outside of the West coast? Like NYC and DC for 2 very painfully obvious examples? You don’t think the nations biggest, most well-known city is interesting enough or has anything going on ever that’s worth mentioning? Or what about the nations capital? You don’t think that might be an important place that people probably talk about often?
I'm not from either coast, but if you lived on the West Coast there really isn't anything you would need to go to the east coast to see or do except for specific cultural institutions. Yeah, to see the Met or the Smithsonian you would need to be in NYC or DC, but I think you could make a valid argument that the west coast has everything the east coast has and more unless the thing you want is specifically the East Coast (culture, look, attitude, whatever)

If you lived in LA the only reason you would have to go to NY is to have the experience of being in NY, you can basically get everything from NY in LA even if it is a slightly different format.

For west coast dwellers they have (good) skiing, better surfing, a world class wine region and better national parks all close to urban centers.

I think objectively the west coast offers a wider variety of stuff and types of places.

I can see that in specific things that specific North East cities have advantages and I could see how someone would rather live in NYC because of these unique qualities and if they value these specific qualities (urbanity for example) over a wider range of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City