Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 06:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
Chicago has better skyscrapers than Boston. However, the architecture of residential Boston is MUCH nicer than residentially chicago. The suburban architecture of Boston is FAR nicer than suburban Chicago.
I enjoy Boston's residential streets a bit, but it's obvious you really don't know much about Chicago - far less than you think you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 06:58 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I enjoy Boston's residential streets a bit, but it's obvious you really don't know much about Chicago - far less than you think you do.
Yeah, they're different.. both great from an urban perspective. You cannot get "far nicer" than some of the neighborhoods in Lincoln Park or Gold Coast. Both excellent.

I do prefer Boston's suburban architecture more though. The North Shore in Chicago is the only comparable area. Much of the other suburbs in Chicagoland are filled with mixed material homes, split levels, etc. Just not as aesthetically pleasing.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Yeah, they're different.. both great from an urban perspective. I do prefer Boston's suburban architecture more though. The North Shore in Chicago is the only comparable area. Much of the other suburbs in Chicagoland are filled with mixed material homes, split levels, etc. Just not as aesthetically pleasing.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Chicago suburbs, though there are some nice ones obviously. The city, however, has tons of nice residential streets.

A few

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9091...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9179...7i13312!8i6656

Old 01-23-2018, 07:06 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Chicago suburbs, though there are some nice ones obviously. The city, however, has tons of nice residential streets.

A few

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9091...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9179...7i13312!8i6656
Lived in Old Town a few blocks off of North before moving. Beeeeauuutiful area, and fits your description prefectly!

Old 01-23-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Lived in Old Town a few blocks off of North before moving. Beeeeauuutiful area, and fits your description prefectly!
Yeah - Old Town, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, etc are beautiful. Really beautiful. Of course there's many more areas that are real nice. For example, in Lakeview (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9376...7i13312!8i6656)

Old 01-23-2018, 07:16 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
One thing I can say about Chicago, and it doesn't matter where in the world you are from. Downtown Chicago in all it's shining glory and it's lakefront is stunningly beautiful, one of North America's best. I haven't been to Toronto yet, but I have been to many cities around the US and the world. From what I have seen and read, Toronto is a great city and a beautiful city as well, and I hope to visit there soon. The Chicago views are breathtaking, and all the little nooks and crannies of downtown are interesting. Except from NYC, that skyline have few rivals here in North America, and I would be saying the same thing if it was located on a different continent. Just thought I'll throw that in there.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:23 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Boston

Old 01-23-2018, 07:32 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cb5XXlmw7c

Old 01-23-2018, 07:35 PM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Boston
What make you choose Boston?

Old 01-23-2018, 07:37 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah but aren't the bulk of Chicago's highrises in the core or along the lakeshore. Is there really that many inland? I didn't see that many in relation to the GTA which are all over the place. I'm not saying there aren't highrises in the rest of Chicago just not to the extent of Toronto and really not by a long shot. Just like Toronto isn't going to win against Chicago in contiguous mid-rise density there is no sense for Chicago to even try competing with Toronto for highrise density throughout the urban area of the GTA.

Toronto has more than double the highrises of Chicago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rise_buildings

Even with a strong economy and good development in Chicago (which i'm happy to see actually), given Toronto's much stronger growth rate, I can't imagine Chicago having more development than Toronto and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Toronto zones basically for high-rises only in many areas. Chicago does not. You can still build a single home practically anywhere in the city. Of course you wouldn't in say the Loop part of downtown. But just south and even in River North art you might. The South Loop has plenty of town-house developments too and River North.... which is part of downtown Chicago today.

It we go by quantities as boasting points? Chicago has more skyscrapers then Toronto. Chicago zones Aldo to preserve the scale of its low-rise with mostly single homes neighborhoods (neighbourhoods). You need no special city permission to build a single family home. A multi-residential one yes in its low-rise neighborhoods.... any chance of a high-rise is on a main street and corridor. Not within in the 8 blocks per mile between them of closer-knit homes.

So Chicago WILL NOT anytime soon transform to high-rises everywhere. The Core yes and west and south of the Loop and its Northern shore neighborhoods especially. Elsewhere could more on main streets. But the fabric of its Cottage-home older neighborhoods and Bungalow belt to 50s neighborhoods within their off main streets and next to transit lines possibly? But it generally won't allow its classic neighborhoods be checkered with high-rises or just zoned to build them ONLY.

It's been said how Toronto chose in zoning more of the city for basically only high-rises? Is a key reason that's why it gets virtually only high-rises? Chicago's areas of them wee not because the city forced it. Actually, it realizes too many of its gilded age mansions were lost over previous decades for some high-rises that would not have been razed for high-rises today. Preservationist would fight it.

Thankfully, Preservationist actively fought to save classic old Chicago since the 80s in its Core especially. It probably would have lost a lot more like its old movie Palaces .... they today became forums for live Theater Plays. Even the Chicago Theater having a historic listing today... was almost lost and some of its oldest and first skyscrapers fought to save.

Not putting anything down in Toronto's choices. Works great for it and its booming population. But just how both cities approach how and where it gets high-rises OR NOT. Chicago has rezoned Commercial areas for residential with high-rises in mind .... but I never heard only them? Or near the core areas that it might want to guide to more part of it core as it develops. Just out of the Loop is plenty of newer town-housing allowed.

I don't doubt either some neighborhoods in Toronto have it desired their neighborhood fabric stay intact. Same especially for Boston that I'm sure much is not going to become high-rises anytime soon. Where these cities can differ vs Toronto in wanting to get only high-rises in new construction. Not so with Chicago or Boston. Boston learned from leveling some neighborhoods in its past. Never again to even build high-rises. Just as San Francisco hasn't or it would look more like Hong Kong today?

Not gonna happen in Chicago to get high-rises in these neighborhoods allowed anytime soon
like this
FIRST PIC --
SECOND -- Here town-housing welcome among new high-rises (LESS COOKIE CUTTER THEN)-
THIRD -- as New homes North of downtown where high-rises are also.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City