Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 03:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Good read from the Toronto Star today on Toronto's tourism numbers.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...h-toronto.html
That is good news Ed and i'm not surprised by this. Now I think it is time for the city to start thinking about making the city more tourist friendly ie More ped only streets, more investment in civic projects (not just waterfront redevelopment either) etc. It should do something bold to boost civic pride.

On another note I stopped at a Convenience store on Jane Street near Lawrence and saw a small Caribbean grocery store. It had Jamaican Cheese and Oxtail - no surprise but also Cow's feet, Pig's Tail and Pig Snout (also health and beauty supplies lol). Anyway the later items are they common in home cooking for Jamaicans and Caribbean's at large? I always just thought of Jerk Chicken, doubles, Ox tail etc not cow's feet and Pig Snout lol..

My mom is hooked now on Tinel's beef patties lol.. I always have to buy a box when grocery shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Best of luck to your mom.
Thanks buddy!

Last edited by fusion2; 01-24-2018 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 05:04 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
That is good news Ed and i'm not surprised by this. Now I think it is time for the city to start thinking about making the city more tourist friendly ie More ped only streets, more investment in civic projects (not just waterfront redevelopment either) etc. It should do something bold to boost civic pride.

On another note I stopped at a Convenience store on Jane Street near Lawrence and saw a small Caribbean grocery store. It had Jamaican Cheese and Oxtail - no surprise but also Cow's feet, Pig's Tail and Pig Snout (also health and beauty supplies lol). Anyway the later items are they common in home cooking for Jamaicans and Caribbean's at large? I always just thought of Jerk Chicken, doubles, Ox tail etc not cow's feet and Pig Snout lol..

My mom is hooked now on Tinel's beef patties lol.. I always have to buy a box when grocery shopping
Agreed. This is basically what I am looking for in Toronto, a better pedestrian friendly experience. More pedestrian only streets and malls are a must and I really think it would take Toronto over the top. Not just for tourists but also residents.

The second part brings a smile to my face. Yes very common. Cow Foot is one of my favourite dishes actually, but you have to make sure someone who knows what they are doing is cooking it. The texture is not for everyone as it is quite gelatinous, but its one of those childhood dishes I cant get enough of.

The pig snout is usually used in a dish called "cook up" Basically its all the tasty left over stuff mixed with rice and peas and all thrown together. Super delicious.

Pig Tail is used in alot of dishes, different soups like Split pea soup for example. Its a good substitute for Salt pork. My wife uses it when she cooks Callaloo (Trini style) along with Crab for some nice saltiness.

Tinnels! They are ranked safely at #4 on my Toronto Jamaican Patty rankings. 1st: Randys 2nd: Allens 3rd: Michideans 4th: Tinnels. Really good stuff, I love em! Keep bringing those to your mum my friend, thats food thats good for the soul.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:32 PM

Came across this article and all three of these cities were listed in the Global Cities Index for Jan 2018 by Schroders as the best cities to invest.

Boston: 6th
Chicago: 7th
Toronto: 17th

All finished in the Global 30.

As mentioned 3 great cities.

London slips a place in rankings of top world cities | Daily Mail Online

Old 01-24-2018, 06:22 PM

615 posts, read 599,140 times
Fun to watch:

Toronto, Ontario - Gardiner Expressway vs. Chicago, Illinois - I-90 - I-94 EB - Northwest Suburbs to Chinatown by VJ why we slap | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper

mute the Chicago video.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:14 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Agreed. This is basically what I am looking for in Toronto, a better pedestrian friendly experience. More pedestrian only streets and malls are a must and I really think it would take Toronto over the top. Not just for tourists but also residents.

The second part brings a smile to my face. Yes very common. Cow Foot is one of my favourite dishes actually, but you have to make sure someone who knows what they are doing is cooking it. The texture is not for everyone as it is quite gelatinous, but its one of those childhood dishes I cant get enough of.

The pig snout is usually used in a dish called "cook up" Basically its all the tasty left over stuff mixed with rice and peas and all thrown together. Super delicious.

Pig Tail is used in alot of dishes, different soups like Split pea soup for example. Its a good substitute for Salt pork. My wife uses it when she cooks Callaloo (Trini style) along with Crab for some nice saltiness.

Tinnels! They are ranked safely at #4 on my Toronto Jamaican Patty rankings. 1st: Randys 2nd: Allens 3rd: Michideans 4th: Tinnels. Really good stuff, I love em! Keep bringing those to your mum my friend, thats food thats good for the soul.
Ok interesting culinary experiences lol.. I don't know if I could do the Cow's foot. I'm not too big on gelatinous consistency. It seems it might be an acquired taste. The cook up though - I think I could give that a good try! We'll look out for those other brands of Beef Patties - Thanks bud!

Old 01-26-2018, 08:20 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:

My exact same top 3 lol.

It's hard to dethrone Randy's from the top spot.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:32 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
I've never been a fan of highways....those were not fun "rides."

Old 01-26-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
My exact same top 3 lol.

It's hard to dethrone Randy's from the top spot.
Good taste my dude, good taste!

Randy’s is the undisputed champion and I don’t see that changing anytime soon!

Old 01-27-2018, 07:06 AM

239 posts, read 231,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
I guess so, but can u blame me manitopiaaa started it, I never did I've just been providing facts the whole time nothing more nothing less, the fact that manitopiaaa is so quick to dismiss them proves that not only is he irrational but the truth hurts him so badly about his Country he won't wise up to it's shortcomings.
I can like the US but people like him make it difficult for me to do so, so no I don't hate the US but people like him make it even increasingly less desirable for me to see things the other way.
So no I'm not @ fault you can blame manitopiaaa for his inflammatory rhetoric, if some/ enough Americans are like him then yes I'm going to have a very hard/ difficult time liking your Country.
Like I said I've only been stating fact's if he doesn't like Canada that's fine but what have I actually said or done that's disrespectful to Americans? Think about that one, I'm not the problem he is, & thus proving my point as to why Canada's the better Country because I don't have to make alot of noise or use blind hatred to prove my points.
For example how many times have I said that the US is an "Excessive Culture" (Which is true btw), but it's not really better unless of course u prefer that sort of thing, the US is definitely not without it's merits but none of which are actually of real quantifiable, measurable or demonstrable values when compared to or peered against Canadian Cities. Again does that make me a lair or wrong? Absolutely NOT! & It doesn't mean I hate the US either it just means that in this discussion I stick to the facts as much as I can & try to shy away from any arguments regarding "feelings". Now I realize that "feelings" are important to Americans but rejecting them is not essentially Anti-American though is it? If so then how does that make me a bad person for rejecting them? So facts are wrong & evil to you guys? How can u have any sort of healthy debate about anything if u deliberately reject facts it doesn't matter the Country! It's manitopiaaa that hate's fact's but never have I seen any of the other Americans on here denying any of the fact's that I provided it's just him. So yes if their are still enough Americans that think like him that makes it very difficult to like your Country now doesn't it? It just makes your Country less desirable but it doesn't mean it's a bad Country, just full of more ignorant or condescending people/ individual's unwilling to take to correction Smh! I'm just being honest so don't shoot the messenger, some Americans actually do agree with me & the ones that do I have np with.
Overall, Canada is a better place to live than the US. Quality of life is better, education is better, and obviously healthcare. However, the US offers some experiences and places that are unmatched. I mean, NYC is incredible. So basically...Canada is the better place to live, but it is possible (just harder) to have an equally as good or better life in the US.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:36 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
Overall, Canada is a better place to live than the US. Quality of life is better, education is better, and obviously healthcare. However, the US offers some experiences and places that are unmatched. I mean, NYC is incredible. So basically...Canada is the better place to live, but it is possible (just harder) to have an equally as good or better life in the US.
Obviously healthcare? What you really mean is a better insurance system. The us has superior healthcare institutions (Hopkins, mass general, Cleveland clinic) and superior innovation, research and development. We are going down a slippery slope as drug companies need to be profitable in order to stimulate more development which is one reason that often contributes to rising drug costs. We need to find a balance between containing costs but promoting research and development. If the us was the size of Canada (the NYC metro is half the population of the entire country) it would be easier to implement a federal insurance system that works for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City