Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 05:18 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,237,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The Cincinnati trolley was the ONLY rail line opening up in one of America's oldest major cities, so that would be a public interest story. Transit implementation in rural Columbia-a country with a turbulent history, would also be a public interest story.

The Expo Line extension was a few miles added on to an existing line, in a city with six metro rail lines.
OK, and? Doesn't this basically destroy your claim? Your claim was that NY is obsessed with LA because the NYT has many articles on LA? The NYT has many articles about basically every city.

If the NY Times is writing about minor trolley lines in Cincy, while also reporting about a major subway line in LA, if you assume that the LA article indicates New Yorkers are "threatened" by LA, then one could only assume the same re. Cincy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,818,105 times
Quote:
I've wondered about this, I asked someone from Chicago about it and she told me it wasn't really a thing because there is generally enough to do in Milwaukee. However, I worked with a guy from the wealthy Detroit suburbs and he never had anything good to say about Detroit, but would go on and on about Chicago. If a complex is there, I think it would be with Detroit. Milwaukee people can do day trips to Chi on the train, but Detroit is far enough to prevent travel while close enough to stir envy. I also wonder where indy falls into this scheme.
Also Cities that have inferiority complexes tend to be on either the same level and think they are way above the other (eg. Cleveland to Columbus) or maybe one tier below and see each other as an equal (KC to St Louis), rather than cities 3 tiers above them (something like Cleveland and Toledo

In the case of Milwaukee the difference is so big that there is no point, its a metro of 9.5 million vs a metro of 1.6.

A good example of this is Worcester, MA the "2nd Largest City in New England" obviously Boston is the big dog so they try to paint themselves in the class of secondary New England Cities like Providence and Hartford, when in reality they are more of a 3rd tier city in the region.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:28 PM

4,185 posts, read 3,215,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
OK, and? Doesn't this basically destroy your claim? Your claim was that NY is obsessed with LA because the NYT has many articles on LA? The NYT has many articles about basically every city.

If the NY Times is writing about minor trolley lines in Cincy, while also reporting about a major subway line in LA, if you assume that the LA article indicates New Yorkers are "threatened" by LA, then one could only assume the same re. Cincy.
No, it doesn't destroy my claim. It's not just the number of articles, but the specific content of those articles.

Once again, the Cincinnati streetcar is the only commuter rail in the whole metro area, at the core of an old city that dug subway tunnels before anyone else did. That seems pretty newsworthy to me. The Expo Line extension to Santa Monica was a small extension to an existing line, which is part of a huge metro rail system that has been in place for nearly 30 years. How is that newsworthy, at least in the same way the Cincy Streetcar would be?

Old 01-21-2018, 05:51 PM

4,185 posts, read 3,215,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Also Cities that have inferiority complexes tend to be on either the same level and think they are way above the other (eg. Cleveland to Columbus) or maybe one tier below and see each other as an equal (KC to St Louis), rather than cities 3 tiers above them (something like Cleveland and Toledo

In the case of Milwaukee the difference is so big that there is no point, its a metro of 9.5 million vs a metro of 1.6.

A good example of this is Worcester, MA the "2nd Largest City in New England" obviously Boston is the big dog so they try to paint themselves in the class of secondary New England Cities like Providence and Hartford, when in reality they are more of a 3rd tier city in the region.
Not to derail the thread but I lived in Columbus and consider Cleveland to be at least one notch above it, if not two. Columbus, Austin, Indy....they can be as populated as they want to be it doesn't change anything IMO.

The reverse of this is San Jose-San Francisco. On paper, it seems San Jose has enough on the ball to at least claim to be an equal to SF, but they don't even try.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,193,846 times
Given the state of transit in this country, I think any expansion in any city is newsworthy.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,193,846 times
Quote:
Decent rebuttal with good examples, but let's look at a more specific case of New York obsession with Los Angeles:

"Should Los Angeles New Yorkify?"

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...es-new-yorkify

First of all, it lazily labels Hollywood as "car centric" when there are five subway stations in Hollywood if you count Universal City. I can take a random picture of ANY street in Manhattan and guess what? It will be jammed with cars. When is car centric New York going to learn about being a city and stuff?

Second, how inside of a bubble do you have to be to think you have a patent on tall buildings? So much that focus in on a city that is 3000 miles away, zoom in on one neighborhoods internal zoning issues and come to the conclusion "HEY LOOK, THEY WANT TO BE LIKE US!" Wow. If a pizzeria opens up, is that another example of "New Yorkifying"?
I can see why you think the wording is poor and possibly even condescending, but it gets the point across and overall I think this is good publicity for LA. It’s shedding light on its growing transit system and skyscrapers to an audience all over America and elsewhere in the English speaking world. And FWIW, all 6 writers on this opinion piece are from the LA area. If I’m being honest I think you may be overthinking this stuff a little bit.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:29 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,974,931 times
LA and NYC are the two primary metros in the country. If the media in both cities did not talk about each other, I would be worried.

I don't think either city sweats each other much.

Now SF is OBSESSED with LA and NYC. It's actually very comical.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:35 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,974,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
There is absolutely a Raleigh obsession with Charlotte. The need to criticize anything in Charlotte that either doesn't exist in Raleigh, or is larger or more plentiful in Charlotte, the need to constantly criticize for no reason is proof positive. Raleigh is doing well for itself but some Raleighites are jealous of Charlotte...

The Bay Area, most specifically San Francisco, absolutely is jealous of LA. LA is a monstrosity by comparison and in the real world nobody considers San Francisco and LA as equals, and yet, Bay Areans do everything in their power to measure up to LA...

There is a New York obsession with LA, but not in the "we wanna be like LA" way. Rather, I think it's rather obvious that LA is the only competition New York really has, and NY wants that spotlight to themselves. There is an odd obsession there...

Sacramento is obsessed with The Bay, specifically Oakland. Yet Bay Areans take every opportunity they get to badmouth Sac....

I would say that Cleveland definitely seems to have an inferiority complex versus larger Midwest cities (Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City), and Pittsburgh.
Sacramento is not really obsessed with the bay. It's just the sports media market for everything outside NBA, and a major hub for culture/entertainment.

But most of the media talk about the bay, is concern over bay area investors driving up the housing costs, during econmomic boom years.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:37 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,843,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Milwaukee and Chicago are pretty much connected, so there's not a rivalry, there is a lot of coming and going between the two cities. Best of both worlds.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:55 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 433,766 times
St. Louis obsessed with Chicago
Kansas City obsessed with St. Louis and Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City