Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 10:47 PM

14,162 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Off course there is plenty of farming in southeast PA. The Amish love their farms and ever drive due east from Hershey or to it on like route 322? Or toward Hershey on it?

I live more north in the mountains in the northern Susquehanna Valley Region by the Anthracite Coal Region. Also by my hometown. Plenty of smaller farms in the valleys but does roll too. It isn't all live on a steep incline... but some small cities surely are. I go over a couple mountains to work. Suck in winter adds miles if due straight was possible. I wouldn't miss one and didn't living in the Midwest a few years. Once in the valleys I go by farms too on my way or travels from small city and town all around me.

along the way random street-views for miles still southeast PA ....

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2753...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2750...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2747...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2752...7i13312!8i6656

Oh oh ... hint of mountains waaay in the distance here

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2772...7i13312!8i6656

Palmyra, PA

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3192...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3134...7i13312!8i6656

Annville

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3239...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3242...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3264...7i13312!8i6656

Could be on the Prairie .......

Maybe this little house looks Southern to someone in Philly

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3257...7i13312!8i6656

No mountains in views either. Really some don't leave Philly enough I guess. whatever it is. You are not yet in the Appalachians. But we can't continue this off topic whatever it is.
No, that house doesn't look Southern at all to me.

And I spy a sign goof in the second picture: it's US 322, not PA 322.

But yes, those landscapes also remind me of home, and they are pretty flat. But what I don't get from these is the sense of endlessness I got when I shot this photo outside Edelstein, Ill., on a drive Back Home from Chicago in 2014:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=03861edc84

And while the landscape immediately around Kansas City isn't this flat, it gets that flat not too far southwest of it, or about 100 miles west of it, in north-central Kansas.

I have been on US 322 in the vicinity of Hershey; I attended a College and University Public Relations Association of Pennsylvania retreat at the Hotel Hershey back in 2006. I've not been on US 422 west of Reading, not even to visit the fellow I know who's on the borough council in Sinking Spring (always loved that place name).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:11 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
No, that house doesn't look Southern at all to me.

And I spy a sign goof in the second picture: it's US 322, not PA 322.

But yes, those landscapes also remind me of home, and they are pretty flat. But what I don't get from these is the sense of endlessness I got when I shot this photo outside Edelstein, Ill., on a drive Back Home from Chicago in 2014:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=03861edc84

And while the landscape immediately around Kansas City isn't this flat, it gets that flat not too far southwest of it, or about 100 miles west of it, in north-central Kansas.

I have been on US 322 in the vicinity of Hershey; I attended a College and University Public Relations Association of Pennsylvania retreat at the Hotel Hershey back in 2006. I've not been on US 422 west of Reading, not even to visit the fellow I know who's on the borough council in Sinking Spring (always loved that place name).
So why question as if I dare you. With where are these virtually totally flat areas in southeast PA? That is what I did not get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Where are these "flat rural areas" in Southeastern Pennsylvania?

Once you cross the fall line, which passes through Philadelphia - it separates its northwestern part from the rest of the city - the landscape is mainly low rolling hills, much like the area around Kansas City. (The scenery along PA 283 from Harrisburg to Lancaster reminds me an awful lot of the farmland around my hometown.)

And speaking of farming, there's plenty of that in Lancaster County.
You asked me .... I put the proof up. All is Good. But of course you knew this region and was testing me.

But to begin with. I Did not get the poster claiming (by a street-view example). That rural Delaware becomes Southern, by the street-view that had my original reply. You merely seemed to say that nothing in southeastern PA had a similar FLAT topography as that Delaware view..... You just FORGOT that region I addressed. So we can thank each other for correction on Yes areas are totally flat for miles too in SE PA and its US not PA route 322.

But you never said if rural Delaware might seem Southern to you too? But that street-view. Merely questioned my reply as inaccurate and dare I prove my post. Also that house is as many by me. More non-brick, more NYC style ..... but in older small cities. They are connected as row-housing. I really intended that part of my post of the house to the original poster on the Delaware street-view.

It's all irrelevant to the thread. Just sometimes you get begged to continue a reply like a Kinda dare.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:

But you never said if rural Delaware might seem Southern to you too?
"Slower Delaware" inland from the coast, yes, it does have a Southern air.

But it is interesting that Dover chose to name the street leading to the state capital for Martin Luther King. (Usually, streets named for the civil-rights leader run through mostly black, and often run-down, neighborhoods.)

The beach towns have been completely colonized by the Washingtonians and Philadelphians. The LGBT ones, in the case of Rehoboth Beach.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 PM

30 posts, read 32,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
Kansas City obsessed with St. Louis...
No. Only people from Saint Louis say that.

For some reason it has become a Saint Louis "talking point" repeated ad-nauseam since the Royals beat the Cards in the 1985 World Series. The exact opposite seems true when seeing how many STL posters hang out and troll the kcrag development page.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:38 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times
Judging from the comments posted on this board over the past 3 years, Philadelphian's may not be obsessed.... but they clearly suffer from an inferiority complex with Boston.....

Boston never heard of 'em.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
So why question as if I dare you. With where are these virtually totally flat areas in southeast PA? That is what I did not get.

You asked me .... I put the proof up. All is Good. But of course you knew this region and was testing me.

But to begin with. I Did not get the poster claiming (by a street-view example). That rural Delaware becomes Southern, by the street-view that had my original reply. You merely seemed to say that nothing in southeastern PA had a similar FLAT topography as that Delaware view..... You just FORGOT that region I addressed. So we can thank each other for correction on Yes areas are totally flat for miles too in SE PA and its US not PA route 322.

But you never said if rural Delaware might seem Southern to you too? But that street-view. Merely questioned my reply as inaccurate and dare I prove my post. Also that house is as many by me. More non-brick, more NYC style ..... but in older small cities. They are connected as row-housing. I really intended that part of my post of the house to the original poster on the Delaware street-view.

It's all irrelevant to the thread. Just sometimes you get begged to continue a reply like a Kinda dare.

I will ask, where are all these flat areas of SE PA?

there are some but mostly draw a line from Wilmington DE (even the western part begins the hills there not flat) along the DE (maybe 1 mile west if that in many instances into Philly roughly then up the Schuylkill to route 1 (Extreme lower Bucks is generally flatter east of route 1) to Trenton nearly every west of that is rolling hills at worst

some flat plains in Lancaster surrounded by larger hills but there is very little of anywhere in PA that is particularly flat including SE PA

PA may be one of the hilliest states in the country consistently including SE PA

Old 03-17-2018, 02:27 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstreetcarfan View Post
No. Only people from Saint Louis say that.

For some reason it has become a Saint Louis "talking point" repeated ad-nauseam since the Royals beat the Cards in the 1985 World Series. The exact opposite seems true when seeing how many STL posters hang out and troll the kcrag development page.
This is getting crazy, even for you...

Old 03-18-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
This is getting crazy, even for you...
Maybe kcstreetcarfan carries on a bit too much, but I have seen instances in the past where St. Louis, or at least opinion leaders there, have looked anxiously in their rear-view mirrors at Kansas City.

One that sticks in my mind was in 1973, after Kansas City International Airport opened. The St. Louis Globe-Democrat (anyone here remember that newspaper?) ran a lead editorial urging the city to make improvements at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport headlined, "A Way Station on the Road to Kansas City?"

Old 03-19-2018, 02:07 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I agree that Dallas doesn't see Fort Worth as a rival, but the rivalry between Houston and Dallas/DFW is a thing acknowledged on both sides, it just isn't a nasty rivalry.

I'd say that, especially on CD but also in real life, Atlanta seems to have some rivalry going on with Houston and DFW, but neither of those consider Atlanta to be on the same level.
Disgree with both comments and the bottom is hilariously false,

Dallas and Forth Worth do have some what a rivalry and throw shade a each other. But it more like a sibling rivalry then seeing each other as competitors.

Atlantans does not see Dallas and Houston as rivals, Atlantans don't even acknowledge Dallas and Houston to be in the South half the time to even think of them as rivals.

On city data Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami are compare a lot because they are largest sunbelt cities out side of LA. but "in real life" people from these cities don't even think or each other.

As far as "level" that subjective to different things, DFW and Houston beat Atlanta on diversity, Economy, and road network, but higher education, Entertainment and media, Historic district and areas, and scenic environment most people probably put Atlanta higher. It's all subjective but that not what this topic is on.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:21 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
The Houston vs Dallas stuff earlier was funny. I spent my high school years in DFW and the first questions I was asked was:

1. Do you have a grill?
2. Aren't you glad you're out of the armpit of Texas?

Any Dallasite (or Houstonian) that tries to say that it is one-sided is blind. Most of the Houston jealously towards DFW comes from the Cowboys' dominance in the state (and nation) over the Houston NFL teams (Oilers and now Texans). But you get a lot of people from DFW who hate on the Astros and now Rockets a lot more. I know Dallas had that nice gesture after Houston won the WS but that was a front lol. The point is, the rivalry is mostly sports. Outside of sports, you hear some comments here and there, but it's all friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City