Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 04:29 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Birmingham shot itself in the foot in the Civil Rights Movement years.

In 1960, it was the undisputed industrial center of the Deep South, and it and Atlanta were about equal in population.

Then the Civil Rights Movement set its sights on segregation and racism in Alabama. We got "Bombingham" and Bull Connor in response. Meanwhile, Atlanta promoted itself as "the city too busy to hate."*

Look where each of them are now. Atlanta is the undisputed hub of the South. And Birmingham?

*And let's not get things confused: Georgia Gov. Lester Maddox differed from Alabama Gov. George Wallace only in the vehemence of his bigotry.
Yes, we know this already. Please can we talk about Birmingham without rehashing the same story that has been told a million times. Both Atlanta and Birmingham have moved on why cant the rest of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 06:40 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Milwaukee is obsessed with Chicago and Chicago doesn't even know Milwaukee exists at times.
Seriously, man, we definitely know you exist. We go to Milwaukee and enjoy your offerings. Milwaukee registers with us more than any other major midwestern city. We not only know you exist, we’re glad you’re there. I never hear anyone bad talk Milwaukee.

I have to say I completely disagee with your observations.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:57 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Seriously, man, we definitely know you exist. We go to Milwaukee and enjoy your offerings. Milwaukee registers with us more than any other major midwestern city. We not only know you exist, we’re glad you’re there. I never hear anyone bad talk Milwaukee.

I have to say I completely disagee with your observations.
What about Minneapolis and Detroit

Old 05-21-2018, 08:13 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What about Minneapolis and Detroit
Milwaukee more than either of them, although both of them are obviously much a part of our consciousness.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Ottumwa is super obsessed with Bismarck and is always going on about how they are being ignored by Bismarcians. Meanwhile, Bismarck is like, "Who? Be sure to let us know when you finally get a Cracker Barrel like we have."

Old 05-22-2018, 12:16 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
SF is super obsessed with hating LA, blaming LA for everything, talking about how much LA sucks, how fake it is, how ugly it is, how boring it is, how hot it is, how everything-perceived-as-bad it is. Meanwhile, LA is just like hey that smaller city north of us is pretty and I like visiting, but it's so expensive and the fog is annoying so I couldn't live there. But LA enjoys visiting SF and really has nothing bad to say about it.

Also after living in the northeast for about a year now, I realize how NYC hates Philly. I wouldn't say is super obsessed with it. And I wouldn't say it's everyone. It honestly seems like the transplants to NYC from the midwest and south continually hate on Philly and Jersey (places like Hoboken and Jersey City where a lot of people interact with New Yorkers regularly). Many from NY/NYC don't hate NJ or Philly, but the transplants act is if going to Jersey or Philly is like stepping into Hell. There are some people in North Jersey that look down on Philly a lot as well, basically saying it's more or less "the South" to them and it's a small dangerous town with not much going on, even though they live in the suburbs of NJ an hour away from NYC. Meanwhile, I never hear anyone in Philly talk about hating NYC or even saying anything too negatively about Jersey.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
SF is super obsessed with hating LA, blaming LA for everything, talking about how much LA sucks, how fake it is, how ugly it is, how boring it is, how hot it is, how everything-perceived-as-bad it is. Meanwhile, LA is just like hey that smaller city north of us is pretty and I like visiting, but it's so expensive and the fog is annoying so I couldn't live there. But LA enjoys visiting SF and really has nothing bad to say about it.

Also after living in the northeast for about a year now, I realize how NYC hates Philly. I wouldn't say is super obsessed with it. And I wouldn't say it's everyone. It honestly seems like the transplants to NYC from the midwest and south continually hate on Philly and Jersey (places like Hoboken and Jersey City where a lot of people interact with New Yorkers regularly). Many from NY/NYC don't hate NJ or Philly, but the transplants act is if going to Jersey or Philly is like stepping into Hell. There are some people in North Jersey that look down on Philly a lot as well, basically saying it's more or less "the South" to them and it's a small dangerous town with not much going on, even though they live in the suburbs of NJ an hour away from NYC. Meanwhile, I never hear anyone in Philly talk about hating NYC or even saying anything too negatively about Jersey.
Jersey does have negative reputation

Old 05-22-2018, 12:33 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:

Wow this post is spot on. Most of the hate I witness in nyc about Nj and Philly are truly from transplant. It’s as if they read a rule book that said to be a New Yorker you must hate Jersey/Philly even though native New Yorkers don’t really think like that!

Old 05-22-2018, 12:36 PM

122 posts, read 91,722 times
Quote:
So lol, San Francisco doesn't hate on LA, people in San Francisco may hate on it. But guess what? We Angelenos hate on LA too. The city sucks. I was born and raised there, and it just sucks. I'm sorry. I used to joke that you knew a transplant as soon as they said anything positive about the hot mess that is LA. Traffic sucks - I remember wishing for a plague many times to thin the herd as I was stuck in traffic. The city is brown, smoggy, dusty. Too many people. Expensive.

San Francisco on the other hand is like a breath of fresh of air. The weather is cooler and crisper, it's brighter - you feel like someone took off your sun glasses and you see everything more vividly (compared to LA). It's actually walkable! People are more intellectual, less preening and chasing some fame they will never have. Have a conversation with someone in San Francisco and it's about changing the world, have a conversation in LA and it's about the douchebags they know (or think that they know).

In California, there are only two livable areas - the Bay or San Diego. Yeah, the Bay is more expensive than LA, but guess what? The jobs pay much better. The traffic is better, it's more compact, and it's more scenic.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:45 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Wow this post is spot on. Most of the hate I witness in nyc about Nj and Philly are truly from transplant. It’s as if they read a rule book that said to be a New Yorker you must hate Jersey/Philly even though native New Yorkers don’t really think like that!
One of my transplant friends said if they can't find a place in a certain part of Manhattan or a certain part of Brooklyn in their price range, they'll just leave the entire Tri State area before considering JC or Hoboken. Meanwhile, my friend born and raised in Brooklyn has family looking for houses in Monmouth County right now. Even he has considered living in JC/Hoboken, Philly, Baltimore or DC. My cousins from the UES (on rent control, not the UES stereotype) love JC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Jersey does have negative reputation
It does, yeah, but I think if people spent time in certain parts of the state, it wouldn't be so negative. JC, Hoboken, Newark, Montclair, and a few others are great cities and the Shore is beautiful. It's not all the MTV show like people think...again...reputation not based on real life experiences. Go to Seaside or even AC and you might experience the "Jersey Shore." Go to Cape May, Long Branch, Asbury Park, Margate, etc. and it's a totally different experience. There are bad things about NJ 100% and I'd never debate that. But the hate it gets is totally unreasonable, especially from the transplants in NYC who moved from even s****ier places and who have never stepped foot in the state unless they flew in/out of EWR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City