Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 04:17 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I agree that Dallas doesn't see Fort Worth as a rival, but the rivalry between Houston and Dallas/DFW is a thing acknowledged on both sides, it just isn't a nasty rivalry.

I'd say that, especially on CD but also in real life, Atlanta seems to have some rivalry going on with Houston and DFW, but neither of those consider Atlanta to be on the same level.
I definitely noticed this attitude when I moved to Texas from Atlanta. People out here were just like "oh, okay".

And when I go back to visit Atlanta, people ask all kinds of questions about the Texas cities and try to compare them to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 04:24 PM

367 posts, read 585,011 times
Memphis looks up to Nsshville and is jealous of its success. Nashville can care less about Memphis.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:29 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
There's a fair amount of shade thrown at Atlanta from Charlotte, Nashville, and Birmingham that isn't reciprocated.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:49 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
This is real easy. The New York Times is always checking up on Los Angeles with little articles about what is opening up and how people are living, who is moving there, etc.

Here is one from just 15 hours ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/s...s-angeles.html

It would be interesting to run a search to see how many NYT articles there are about L.A. vs how many LAT articles about NYC.

New York is obsessed with Los Angeles because it is pretty much the only remaining city that rejects the assumption that NYC is the default city that everyone is trying to model themselves after (hence the term "Manhattanization" whenever a building goes up anywhere). This, of course, is part of the larger trend of western cities gaining influence and eastern cities losing influence that has been going on since the 1950's. Los Angeles could care less what New York does. Is the reverse true? Ex-NY people in southern California love to work "when I lived in New York" into just about any and every conversation. The fact is, whether it was Manhattan or Council Bluffs, Iowa that they came from nobody really cares.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:09 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
This. SF was also the first alpha city on the west coast while Los Angeles was a railroad stop in the semi desert. The continuous evolving and innovation from the Bay Area has definitely kept it more economically relevant fornitnto be the smaller metro area. So I understand how SF is resentful to the much larger city 6 you’re to the south. It was the center of finance and commerce for the West, the end of the transcontinental railroad, and the state capital is nearby. Even to this day, the most prominent politicians in California usually come from the Bay Area rather than Southern California. Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon are from Southern California and ascended to the highest office in the country, but State Senators typically tend to be from the Bay.

Los Angeles surpassed San Francisco in population sometime in the 1920s, but SF was seen as more economically important city for years well beyond that. Los Angeles grew due to oil, aerospace, manufacturing, agriculture, and presented itself as the anti-City (while SF is “The City,†on a more compact footprint at the tip of a peninsula) due to the plentiful land (at the time), eternal spring weather, and the auto oriented nature the city evolved into. Los Angeles’ layout and built environment was initially based on cities in the Midwest, and seemed to attract a lot of people from that region while SF seemed to attract more Easterners. Even as the city densities due to the lack of available land, there is still a lot of resistance in LA to projects that are high-rise and high density.

It wasn’t until the later part of the 20th Century that Los Angeles began to embrace its location at the apex of Latin America, the Western US, and the Pacific Rim and formed more of a distinct identity rather than the “Iowa by the Sea†reputation it had for years. However, with the loss of corporations and consolidation of the oil industry, and the end of the Cold War decimating the aerospace/defense contractor industry, LA definitely stumbled while SF Bay Area embraces technology and all what comes with it. Due to its size, LA/SoCal will be an economic powerhouse, but it could be so much more
The majority of world film studios had consolidated in Los Angeles before 1920, so I would argue that San Francisco hasn't been more influential than Los Angeles for one day since 1915. If someone could post ONE metric that that greater SF is beating greater LA in, I'd love to see it.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 PM

168 posts, read 194,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Don’t forgot Miami and Southern California
Haha so true!

Old 01-20-2018, 06:50 PM

168 posts, read 194,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkieFam View Post
LOL But you're biased...you're in Canada. I've been to Calgary, by the way...only for a day. Seems busy.
Ya Calgary is pretty busy, growing lots lately, it's mostly just a nice
place for families not really super exiting or nothing, but it's nice in the Summer I guess
& getting a bit more entertaining than in the past.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This is real easy. The New York Times is always checking up on Los Angeles with little articles about what is opening up and how people are living, who is moving there, etc.
The NY Times is the English language paper of record. Consequently, it has articles about everywhere. I can find multiple NY Times articles on Cincy, Indy, Fort Worth, Memphis and all kinds of second-rate burgs.

So, no, the fact that the NY Times writes about LA (only the second largest English-speaking metro on the planet) isn't exactly surprising, or indicative of being "super obsessed". It's indicative of the fact that the NYT is THE paper of record.

As for the LA Times, they write about NYC every day, obviously. It's NYC.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:12 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Dude, I’ve never heard anyone being envous about any of that and I’m a Dallas native.

The Unholy Trinity Incident

An unlikely combination of Wallaceites, Republicans and environmentalists deals a death blow to Dallas' seaport dreams. Breathe easy, Houston.

WHAT DALLAS NEEDS—IN A BIG WAY—is to be a seaport. If it could ship goods, by cheap water transportation, on the Trinity River, from here to the sea—just walk right out there and widen and deepen that river, build a few locks, bridges and reservoirs, get the old Gulf of Mexico right up here—Boy, wouldn’t Houston with that dinky little scooped-out bayou be eating its liver then! Big D!

And even before. Dallas has been thinking about being a seaport for a long time, which is some sort of testimony to the determination of the residents of an improbable city 300 miles inland, with no real reason to be where it is, or to be at all, for that matter.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politic...nity-incident/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I’m scratching my head on Houston being obsessed with New Orleans bit.

Houston is obsessed with New Orleans in a good way. Not really the city but the cuisine. Houston doesn't want to be the Big Easy for sure but does like to look at it from afar...

Old 01-20-2018, 07:35 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

Here is one from just 15 hours ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/s...s-angeles.html

It would be interesting to run a search to see how many NYT articles there are about L.A. vs how many LAT articles about NYC.

New York is obsessed with Los Angeles because it is pretty much the only remaining city that rejects the assumption that NYC is the default city that everyone is trying to model themselves after (hence the term "Manhattanization" whenever a building goes up anywhere). This, of course, is part of the larger trend of western cities gaining influence and eastern cities losing influence that has been going on since the 1950's. Los Angeles could care less what New York does. Is the reverse true? Ex-NY people in southern California love to work "when I lived in New York" into just about any and every conversation. The fact is, whether it was Manhattan or Council Bluffs, Iowa that they came from nobody really cares.
Manhattanization is usually about a town that Doesn't want to be like New York, its not an aspirational word, its usually what opponents of a project would say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City