Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 08:12 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
If I had to choose, I would go Indy. I like the feel of this metro...not too huge, not too small. Mild winter compared to those offered. Good freeway system, nice newer airport, pleasant downtown. Cost of living reasonable. Pro sports and close to major college sports.
I feel the same about Milwaukee. I think it offers alot and the development is sustainable. The streetcar will be good for the area.

Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 06:48 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I feel the same about Milwaukee. I think it offers alot and the development is sustainable. The streetcar will be good for the area.

Milwaukee
Lol! I live here and this is the first time I've heard it called "The Hop". I've only ever heard it referred to as "the streetcar".

I am super excited for it.

We're in the heart of Summerfest here in Milwaukee. The largest music festival in the world. Music - MKE

Old 07-02-2018, 07:44 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Lol! I live here and this is the first time I've heard it called "The Hop".
How embarrassing. Who comes up with this?

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-29-2018 at 08:33 AM..

Old 07-03-2018, 03:40 AM

30 posts, read 33,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
If I had to choose, I would go Indy. I like the feel of this metro...not too huge, not too small. Mild winter compared to those offered.
no, KC easily has the best winters of the 4. Not even close.
KC wins this pretty easily with Milwaukee 2nd.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-29-2018 at 08:33 AM..

Old 07-03-2018, 08:51 AM

90 posts, read 113,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstreetcarfan View Post

As someone from KC, I think it is honestly 3/4 on here. Milwaukee takes 1 easily, Indy I think beats out KC by just a bit, I just really like the downtown in Indianapolis. KC's downtown is just kind of boring and bland. I go down quite a lot and the best part is river market and crown center area. Financial district is fine. I think the crossroads are overrated. The advantage KC has is the plaza area (Nelson/Shopping etc..) I love my old hometown and we have some pretty great amenities but our downtown lacks and that is personally my number 1 factor in judging a city. Omaha's downtown is close to being better than KC's.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-29-2018 at 08:34 AM..

Old 07-03-2018, 07:29 PM

30 posts, read 33,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanenthusiastfromKC View Post
As someone from KC, I think it is honestly 3/4 on here. Milwaukee takes 1 easily, Indy I think beats out KC by just a bit, I just really like the downtown in Indianapolis. KC's downtown is just kind of boring and bland. I go down quite a lot and the best part is river market and crown center area. Financial district is fine. I think the crossroads are overrated. The advantage KC has is the plaza area (Nelson/Shopping etc..) I love my old hometown and we have some pretty great amenities but our downtown lacks and that is personally my number 1 factor in judging a city. Omaha's downtown is close to being better than KC's.

Over 6500 new residential units being built in downtown KC over the last 3 years would disagree with you.
The fact that you like Indy's downtown over KC's tells me about your personal preferences.
It's as bland and cookie-cutter as can be.

IMO the only things Milwaukee's downtown has over KC is the lakefront and the Bucks [NBA].
Outside of that, KC's downtown is far more dynamic and growing twice as fast in new residents.
Milwaukee's downtown has nothing even similar to KC's live music [jazz] scene and Crossroads Art District. I think KC has caught up to and passed Milwaukee and the next 10 years will prove KC's downtown to be one of the most dynamic in the country.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:38 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Over 6500 new residential units being built in downtown KC over the last 3 years would disagree with you.
The fact that you like Indy's downtown over KC's tells me about your personal preferences.
It's as bland and cookie-cutter as can be.

IMO the only things Milwaukee's downtown has over KC is the lakefront and the Bucks [NBA].
Outside of that, KC's downtown is far more dynamic and growing twice as fast in new residents.
Milwaukee's downtown has nothing even similar to KC's live music [jazz] scene and Crossroads Art District. I think KC has caught up to and passed Milwaukee and the next 10 years will prove KC's downtown to be one of the most dynamic in the country.

I don't think you know Milwaukee very well. One thing KC certainly doesn't have, is Summerfest. Also, you can't minimize the Bucks and the lakefront.....two HUGE advantages. Also, Milwaukee has a pretty cool riverfront...

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1745&bih=885

https://www.google.com/search?biw=17....0.Kowq0Kl90B0

Old 07-03-2018, 09:58 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
No, KC has the most annoying winters- windy, constantly changeable, not cold enough for any winter sports, too dry. Omaha is not much better. Great Lakes cities have better proximity to 'reasonable' Midwest ski areas, and areas Up North that have deep snow cover with plenty of outdoor recreation all winter long. You can't do much of anything outside in the colder months in the Lower Midwest and Upper South.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-29-2018 at 08:34 AM..

Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, KC has the most annoying winters- windy, constantly changeable, not cold enough for any winter sports, too dry. Omaha is not much better. Great Lakes cities have better proximity to 'reasonable' Midwest ski areas, and areas Up North that have deep snow cover with plenty of outdoor recreation all winter long. You can't do much of anything outside in the colder months in the Lower Midwest and Upper South.
True. I live in northeast TN. Much like central IN, December-February is basically too wet/soggy for much outdoor activity. We get a bit more of a break in the border months of November and March, but even those may be too wet and soggy for a lot of things.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:08 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
True. I live in northeast TN. Much like central IN, December-February is basically too wet/soggy for much outdoor activity. We get a bit more of a break in the border months of November and March, but even those may be too wet and soggy for a lot of things.
Agreed. I don't prefer to tackle trails when the weather is ridiculously wet with muddy soils during winter. I prefer snow over rain as trails Up North are much nicer with crisp air. The best winter photography I ever took was up in Vilas County, WI in February with lower level lighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City