Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 01:33 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No Rochester is much nicer than Springfield. It has a proper private secotir economy and far more nice urban neighborhoods as well as is almost 2x the size.

Brighton, Penfield, Pittsfield, Webster, Fairport etc are all fairly wealthy. For Springfield after East Longmeadow it falls off to working class towns like West Springfield really fast.

Rochester is closer to Hartford than Springfield. Although Hartford is a bit above Rochester. Although as a city Rochester is a bit more interesting than Hartford is certainly lacks the prethora of high paying jobs.

If there is a New England City a peer to Rochester, it’s Providence.
Not just that, but it is a bit bigger too. I'd agree that it is closer to Hartford in terms of metro population and in terms of having its share of pretty nice suburbs.

Higher paying jobs will come from companies like Kodak, Zerox, L3 Harris, GM, Cooper Vision, RG & E, Bausch and Lomb, Thermo Fisher and some others, depending on skills/education/experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 02:18 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Yea probably Providence. But I would say Rochester and Buffalo are actually a combined city metro similar to Minneapolis and St. Paul and Ft. Worth and Dalls.

Buffalo and Rochester are a bit more independent but nearly close enough to be combined. And with that I would say are on par with the triangle in North Carolina as a metro?? (my first guess).

And combined are probably on par with Pittsburgh and most similar.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:45 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Yea probably Providence. But I would say Rochester and Buffalo are actually a combined city metro similar to Minneapolis and St. Paul and Ft. Worth and Dalls.

Buffalo and Rochester are a bit more independent but nearly close enough to be combined. And with that I would say are on par with the triangle in North Carolina as a metro?? (my first guess).

No. Buffalo and Rochester are just over 60 miles apart. They are separate.

While some things overlap, like Darien Lake is the go to amusement park for both cities, the Bills/Sabres are popular in Rochester, and they both consider themselves Western New York they are different.

Firstly, they are not the same labor market. They are far enough that commuting isnt very viable. Second there is some pretty decent cultural differences. Rochester isn't very Polish, so Dyngus Day isn't really a thing and in Buffalo you can't find a Garbage Plate almost anywhere. Genesee is the go to local beer in Rochester, while its Labatt in Buffalo. They are MilB and NLL rivals.

There are other examples, but they are not the same city. l=

Old 03-06-2021, 04:28 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:

Yes, if the Rochester and Buffalo areas were one metro, it would essentially have a similar population as the Pittsburgh metro at about 2.2 million or so people and in about 600 square miles less in land area.

Also, some people actually commute between the 2 metros, as they touch at the Niagara/Orleans county line. There are a couple of examples in this article from several years ago: https://www.google.com/amp/s/buffalo...f486a.amp.html

Old 03-06-2021, 05:43 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,322,848 times
The interesting thing about Rochester and Buffalo is that they’re just too far apart to work as a combined region. If downtown Buffalo were in Lockport’s location and downtown Rochester were in Brockport’s, that mere 40 mile gap would be small enough for a unified metropolitan area. Unfortunately there is just too much rural land between the two cities for it to work as is. There have been efforts to strengthen ties between the cities, most recently with the Western New York Amazon HQ2 proposal, but right now the harsh WNY winters and lack of high speed rail make commuting between the two less than ideal. Maybe one day...

Old 03-06-2021, 05:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No. Buffalo and Rochester are just over 60 miles apart. They are separate.

While some things overlap, like Darien Lake is the go to amusement park for both cities, the Bills/Sabres are popular in Rochester, and they both consider themselves Western New York they are different.

Firstly, they are not the same labor market. They are far enough that commuting isnt very viable. Second there is some pretty decent cultural differences. Rochester isn't very Polish, so Dyngus Day isn't really a thing and in Buffalo you can't find a Garbage Plate almost anywhere. Genesee is the go to local beer in Rochester, while its Labatt in Buffalo. They are MilB and NLL rivals.

There are other examples, but they are not the same city. l=

They are in the same media market (the local news is both Rochester and Buffalo for the same broadcast) and have suburbs very close to one another. They are definitely separate cities but they are alike as a region and larger CSA metro, very similar to how the "triangle cities" in NC are, the twin cities in MN and the DAL/FTWTH metro and even the Susquehanna Valley cities in PA with Harrisburg and Lancaster. There is a little more separation but it is not by much.

Between the two combined, they have pretty much the same assets as Pittsburgh, give or take. Or you could say Cleveland since Buffalo is also on the Great Lakes, but I think Pittsburgh offers more than Cleveland so I vote Pittsburgh with the two combined.

As I said earlier, independently Rochester is on par with cities like Providence and say Richmond.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 03-06-2021 at 06:01 PM..

Old 03-06-2021, 05:58 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
They are in the same media market (the local news is both Rochester and Buffalo for the same broadcast) and have suburbs very close to one another. They are definitely separate cities but they are alike as a region and larger CSA metro, very similar to how the "triangle cities" in NC are, the twin cities in MN and the DAL/FTWTH metro. There is a little more separation but it is not by much.

Between the two combined, they have pretty much the same assets as Pittsburgh, give or take. Or you could say Cleveland since Buffalo is also on the Great Lakes, but I think Pittsburgh offers more than Cleveland so I vote Pittsburgh with the two combined.

As I said earlier, independently Rochester is on par with cities like Providence and say Richmond.
Not the same media market at all. Each city has its own big network channel (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc). Radio signals really don't carry. Different newspapers. Nope. I see more about Toronto on local news than Rochester.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
They are in the same media market (the local news is both Rochester and Buffalo for the same broadcast) and have suburbs very close to one another. They are definitely separate cities but they are alike as a region and larger CSA metro, very similar to how the "triangle cities" in NC are, the twin cities in MN and the DAL/FTWTH metro and even the Susquehanna Valley cities in PA with Harrisburg and Lancaster. There is a little more separation but it is not by much.

Minneapolis and St Paul are 8 miles away, Rochester and Buffalo are 63. Rochester and Buffalo suburbs are separated by ~35-40 miles of farmland.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:09 PM

117 posts, read 80,701 times
Gonzaga City - ergh, I mean Spokane is actually a pretty good comparison. I’m probably one of the few people on here who has spent time in both places. My grandpa grew up in Rochester and my wife’s family is from Spokane.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not just that, but it is a bit bigger too. I'd agree that it is closer to Hartford in terms of metro population and in terms of having its share of pretty nice suburbs.

Higher paying jobs will come from companies like Kodak, Zerox, L3 Harris, GM, Cooper Vision, RG & E, Bausch and Lomb, Thermo Fisher and some others, depending on skills/education/experience.
Metro Hartford has a median income about $20,000 higher than Rochester, while housing isn’t actually expensive either.

Rochester probably has more high paying jobs than Providence but overall is much closer to it.

Plus more importantly I think the cities both have more cultural/entertainment vibrancy than Hartford despite their economy and the fact that their Downtowns actually have many fewer 9-5 workers (like 1/2 as many)

Hartford is kind of sad because it should be easy to fix because it’s not like everyone works in the suburbs and all the moneys gone.

Dayton is another good one. Especially with its relationship with Cincinnati mirroring Buffalo/Rochester

While Providence is more subservient to Boston than Rochester is to Buffalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City