U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Denver 49 38.89%
Pitt 50 39.68%
Cleveland 27 21.43%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:15 PM

90 posts, read 73,360 times

Advertisements

Ok, I got these three cities. All three of them I am interested to and could be a long range moving destination. Tell me your opinion on this criteria

Vibrancy:
Downtown:
Nightlife:
Outdoor Activities:
Amenities:
Cuisine:
People (friendliness):
Beauty:

Let's go!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 05:59 AM

1,365 posts, read 826,099 times
All 3 are great cities. And you have a great deal of amenities and unique regional character that make each place; "special".

Cleveland. The Lake
Denver. The Rockies in the foreground.
Pittsburgh. The 3 Rivers and Hills. Which make it the 2nd most unique topography in the USA of any city after San Fran.

In terms of population all are quite similar. Although many people from Denver definitely carry themselves as if Denver is much larger than it actually is.

Cleveland MSA: 2.06 Million
Denver MSA: 2.80 Million
Pittsburgh MSA: 2.35 Million

In terms of vibrancy: All 3 have extremely vibrant and walkable neighborhoods, that are unique, interesting and totally attractive.

For terms of outdoor activities I will give the win to Denver, but Pittsburgh follows with 2nd.

I personally choose Pittsburgh for many reasons.

1) The affordability. Pittsburgh is by far the most affordable major city in the Northeast.
2) The topography. I know people from Denver want to lambaste that the Rockies are far superior. But in terms of character and uniqueness so is Pittsburgh; and I will say the topography of Pittsburgh is far more influential. I mean if you go, you will see it is FAR more hilly than Denver

FUN FACT.
#1 The STEEPEST road in the WORLD is in Pittsburgh, PA
#2 Pittsburgh has more bridges than any city in the WORLD

Here is a fun little quirky video on the street.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0gyxV4KNxc

3) The culture. Pittsburgh has a very unique culture; I will almost call it funky fun. It is progressive, a little quirky, homey and packs all that charm and pride; that all is rooted in the regions legacy, architecture and topography.

4) Influence. Pittsburgh has a lot of room for innovators to step up and lead. For me being able to easily get involved and have an impact, is important.

5) In terms of economy, Pittsburgh has one of the most diverse out of the 3, although Denver is larger. Also CMU is considered the top Robotics program in the USA. Pennsylvania is one of the top producing states for Computer Science and Software Engineering and other STEM programs in the USA for higher education (PA is ranked #4 in the USA) and this is in large part because of CMU. On many levels CMU is out performing Stanford. With that there really is a progressive and robust economic sector in Pittsburgh

6) CHECK OUT PITTSBURGH

Denver would be my #2 choice. Denver has a higher COL, but does have many amenities. Comparing the 2; Pittsburgh is older and has a greater depth of legacy institutions, with more varied architecture. So I give it the win over character between the 2.

In terms of development, Pittsburgh is probably about 10 years behind Denver in terms of growth cycle, so there is ALOT of opportunity to be a part of that change in Pittsburgh. Which to me is exciting.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 01-27-2018 at 06:19 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 07:08 AM

240 posts, read 149,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanenthusiastfromKC View Post
Ok, I got these three cities. All three of them I am interested to and could be a long range moving destination. Tell me your opinion on this criteria

Vibrancy:
Downtown:
Nightlife:
Outdoor Activities:
Amenities:
Cuisine:
People (friendliness):
Beauty:

Let's go!
Vibrancy: Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland
Downtown: Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland
Nightlife: Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland
Outdoor Activities: Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland
Amenities: Denver, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
Cuisine: Pittsburgh, Denver, Cleveland
People (friendliness): Denver, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
Beauty: Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland

Old 01-27-2018, 11:32 AM

3,213 posts, read 3,109,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanenthusiastfromKC View Post
Vibrancy: Cleveland
Downtown: Tie because all of the cities aren't known for their downtowns
Nightlife: Cleveland
Outdoor Activities: tie between Denver's proximity to the mountains and Cleveland's proximity to Lake Erie
Amenities: Cleveland
Cuisine: Cleveland
People (friendliness): Cleveland
Beauty: Denver

Old 01-27-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Vibrancy: Cleveland
Downtown: Tie because all of the cities aren't known for their downtowns
Nightlife: Cleveland
Outdoor Activities: tie between Denver's proximity to the mountains and Cleveland's proximity to Lake Erie
Amenities: Cleveland
Cuisine: Cleveland
People (friendliness): Cleveland

Vibrancy: Pittsburgh/Denver( Tie) , Cleveland
Downtown: Pittsburgh. ( That skyline is iconic! 3 rivers, with a substantial incline adjacent) Denver, Cleveland
Outdoor Activities: Denver, Cleveland/Pittsburgh (tie)
Amenities: Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland
People (friendliness): Denver, Cleveland/Pittsburgh (tie)
Beauty: Pittsburgh, Denver, Cleveland

Old 01-27-2018, 02:49 PM

11,829 posts, read 9,584,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Vibrancy: Pittsburgh/Denver( Tie) , Cleveland
Downtown: Pittsburgh. ( That skyline is iconic! 3 rivers, with a substantial incline adjacent) Denver, Cleveland
Outdoor Activities: Denver, Cleveland/Pittsburgh (tie)
Amenities: Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland
People (friendliness): Denver, Cleveland/Pittsburgh (tie)
Beauty: Pittsburgh, Denver, Cleveland
Denver is way cooler

Old 01-27-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Denver is way cooler
I gave 5 wins to Denver. I gave 3 wins to Pittsburgh. And the rest are tied. I am an objective thinker.

Denver is cool. But so is Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh has not grown as quickly as Denver. So its cool is different and the 'modern' cool you are relating to, is more concentrated within Pittsburgh. But it 100% exists. I mean Pittsburgh was the 1st city in the US to have driverless Uber's that you could actually order. Pittsburgh is quickly becoming the robotics capital of the USA.

I would call that. well Cool.

Pittsburgh is definitely funky, cool and quirky. I love it there! I mean the topography alone is cool. I mean Pittsburgh has FREAKIN INCLINES. lol. You literally drive under a mountain into a tunnel and then BAM. The City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I would call that pretty cool.

Denver has far more transplants, which yields it a bit more of a youthful vibe overall. Which in mass can definitely have a profound and very real effect. I like Denver. To me Denver is better than Austin. I think Austin is the most overrated city in the USA.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 01-27-2018 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 03:27 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,757,171 times
Vibrancy: Denver
Downtown: Pittsburgh
Nightlife: Tie (all have great options)
Outdoor Activities: Denver
Amenities: Denver
Cuisine: Pittsburgh
People (friendliness): Pittsburgh

I would give the edge to Denver. The main draw for me personally is the outdoor activities, so many options and so many other great towns near Denver that I love. Estes Park has always/will always be where I want to end up one day.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:39 PM

5,391 posts, read 2,296,367 times
Vibrancy: Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland
Downtown: Pittsburgh, Denver, Cleveland
Nightlife: Don't know
Outdoor Activities: Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland
Amenities: Denver, Pittsburgh
Cuisine: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Denver
People (friendliness): Cleveland, Denver, Pittsburgh
Beauty: Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland

Only considering these categories, Denver. But if I was choosing, I'd pick Pittsburgh. It's a lot more affordable than Denver. But all 3 are pretty good areas in their own rights.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:07 PM

21,506 posts, read 5,544,915 times
I would choose Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or