Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,995,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're claiming San Jose is better because of its human capital. You just wrote that, why are you trying to pretend that is not why you posted that?

You haven't lived in Los Gatos, Saratoga, Palo Alto, etc..or any of the other "elite" cities you constantly bring up. You can afford to live in those places? You don't work in tech or make money in tech yet talk about it all the time. You are literally doing what you claim people in the Bay Area do. Bringing up social mobility isn't the same thing as an historically ingrained social class structure I was referring to at all.

When celebrities are the top story on your local news yes you do idolize them. LA is known for being obsessed with celebrities, it's pretty much all they have at this point except when they brag about some Bay Area tech company opening a satellite office there lol.
Uhhhh no. I never once claimed it made San Jose better than amyone. I just pointed out in San Jose's defence that it's workforce is probably the most critical work force in the world. Very dynamic, educated, well traveled, and many foreign born for a workforce. And I pointed this out, only after a few posters scoffed at the notion of SJ being cosmo. There was no sophmoric debate about "better".

I do not constantly bring up the particular cities you listed. I hardly ever do. I've lived in SJ, worked tech, and made money doing so. So i very much have a leg to stand on with that subject matter. Much more so than someone who has not lived that lifestyle at all.

Though those cities certainly are elite, in the way Chicagolands northshore, or NY gold coast is elite, I could not care less what people consider better

Again, the bay area has a historically ingrained class structure too. In fact, that's where those same people from the east coast settled to, which probably explains where the bay area got this obsession from. And social mobility and an obsession with it, very much is commentary on class structure.

I never memtioned you specifically, with regards to bay area natives obsession. But if that is something you admire, aspire, or love to enjoy, more power to you.

Celeb gossip in Newspapers is what places not called LA or NYC do. Tom Hanks made a tweet/facebook post about driving on the freeway today. And it was BIGTIME NEWS for the most prominent news outlet in SF! In NYC/LA, that would be something in a tabloid.

LA has way more to offer than celebs and it's economy is far too diverse for people from one industry economies to comprehend. Entertainment is not even the largest sector of the economy. LA is the second largest region, with the second largest GDP, and the best weather in the United States. That pretty much speaks for itself. Doesn't matter if you are a maid, aerospace engineer, musician, fashion designer, or a writer. There are jobs for you in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 10:17 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,871,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I'm just pointing out the human capital value of folks in San Jose. Not if they are better.

And I have lived in the bay, lived in San Jose, have worked in the video game industry (where TECH support was considered entry level), and can afford to live in any major city/meteo I prefer.

Not sure why you would even gloss over that, unless I struck a nerve. In fact, money and social class seems to be all bay area posters seem to talk about

So again, not sure why you would accuse the NE of being like this, when people in the bay are more apt to be obsessed with this.

Paris Hilton? 1999 called. They want their pop culture back.

And LA like NYC do not idilize celebs. They live in these cities and residents see them all the time. Im SF justin Beiber comes to town and the Newspaper runs a front page story/most viewed online about where he got a bagel! LOL newspapers do not do that NYC/LA.

Pretty comical to see talk about attributes of residents in the bay, and then claim this is the culture of other regions
You said in a previous post, that you work in government. Pretty versatile. Sacramento, I'm guessing.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:27 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,871,101 times
WizardofRadical, you have said you are Italian (on 2/17/16) and since then, you have said you are Asian. You have lost any sort of credibility, in my eyes. You aren't even who you say you are. I, honestly, believe nothing you say, anymore, because obviously, you don't know who you are. I'm just pointing out what anyone can determine, if they look back. I'm actually sorry about this, because your life must not be what you want it to be. It's hard to maintain any sort of credibility, though, when you say you're one thing, and then say you're another.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:27 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,548,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Its also weird that someone mentioned how SF was obsessed with social class, winch I thought was weird. Whenever i went up there I never got that impression. I always get the impression that no matter how wealthy you are, you can still drive a Prius.. lol The only place I've been to where wealthy people don't actually act wealthy all the time.
Agreed, it’s the internet. Some Angelino’s just have a chip on their shoulder with the Bay Area and throw the most random crap out there hoping it might stick.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:45 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,548,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Uhhhh no. I never once claimed it made San Jose better than amyone. I just pointed out in San Jose's defence that it's workforce is probably the most critical work force in the world. Very dynamic, educated, well traveled, and many foreign born for a workforce. And I pointed this out, only after a few posters scoffed at the notion of SJ being cosmo. There was no sophmoric debate about "better".

I do not constantly bring up the particular cities you listed. I hardly ever do. I've lived in SJ, worked tech, and made money doing so. So i very much have a leg to stand on with that subject matter. Much more so than someone who has not lived that lifestyle at all.

Though those cities certainly are elite, in the way Chicagolands northshore, or NY gold coast is elite, I could not care less what people consider better

Again, the bay area has a historically ingrained class structure too. In fact, that's where those same people from the east coast settled to, which probably explains where the bay area got this obsession from. And social mobility and an obsession with it, very much is commentary on class structure.

I never memtioned you specifically, with regards to bay area natives obsession. But if that is something you admire, aspire, or love to enjoy, more power to you.

Celeb gossip in Newspapers is what places not called LA or NYC do. Tom Hanks made a tweet/facebook post about driving on the freeway today. And it was BIGTIME NEWS for the most prominent news outlet in SF! In NYC/LA, that would be something in a tabloid.

LA has way more to offer than celebs and it's economy is far too diverse for people from one industry economies to comprehend. Entertainment is not even the largest sector of the economy. LA is the second largest region, with the second largest GDP, and the best weather in the United States. That pretty much speaks for itself. Doesn't matter if you are a maid, aerospace engineer, musician, fashion designer, or a writer. There are jobs for you in LA.
You’re bragging about tech workforce again, doing what you claim others do.

Yes we know you’ve lived in San Jose, great...I clearly wasn’t referring to San Jose. But the fact is you currently don’t work in tech and make money in it yet you constantly talk about it. Again doing the exact thing you claim others do. Living some low-level tech support role years ago is pretty irrelevant and not comparable to what you’re constantly bragging about.

For someone who supposedly doesn’t care what people consider better you sure do talk about what cities are better because they are more “elite” a lot.

One of the main reasons Silicon Valley developed in CA because it lacked that rigid, social class structure. Again you’re the only person I’ve ever seen claim that. Generally people moved here to escape that. And social mobility is pretty much the opposite of a rigid class structure.

I never suggested you were talking about me, why would you? I don’t talk about tech positively and largely despise it. But I still think what you’re claimig is complete BS. Sure the Bay Area cares more about education than SoCal but wealth or class not really.

Yes lots of jobs in LA, just not a lot of good ones.

Last edited by sav858; 02-01-2018 at 10:59 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 11:15 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,861,757 times
L.A can compete with NYC...As of right now NYC is the Largest U.S City and has the Largest Economy,but remember in the past New York State had an established economy and city long before California,and L.A was just a Pueblo/Village around that time.

Today..California surpassed New York State's Economy and L.A has surpassed Chicago to become the 2nd Largest U.S City and Economy.

So in other words L.A is no slouch....What L.A and The State of California has accomplished within that time frame is remarkable and continues to grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
LA cannot compete with NYC. It just cannot. That being said, it does not have to. No US city has to be at the New York level for it to be great. Ultimately, LA really is a slouch for its size and just not that good of a city. San Fran is the best West Coast City.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:56 PM

14,039 posts, read 13,855,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
L.A can compete with NYC...As of right now NYC is the Largest U.S City and has the Largest Economy,but remember in the past New York State had an established economy and city long before California,and L.A was just a Pueblo/Village around that time.

Today..California surpassed New York State's Economy and L.A has surpassed Chicago to become the 2nd Largest U.S City and Economy.

So in other words L.A is no slouch....What L.A and The State of California has accomplished within that time frame is remarkable and continues to grow.
Economic Powerhouse or Regional

New York: NYC
California: LA, San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego

Old 02-02-2018, 07:28 AM

92,800 posts, read 123,157,701 times
Quote:

Not a surprise given the population and sizes of each state.

What people also have to include in this "comparison" is that Philadelphia and Boston are involved as well. So, that is something to consider in terms of economy.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:11 AM

1,038 posts, read 785,122 times
Quote:

This analysis would argue that LA can not only compete with NYC, but is beating it on the world stage.

Global Cities - Schroders

I think many New Yorkers have a stereotype of LA that doesn't mesh with reality. It was the same for me before I moved from NYC to LA.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:18 AM

9,157 posts, read 13,197,620 times
Quote:

In order for Los Angles to become larger then New York City, she would need at least two things.

First, she would need a massive amount of money to spend on mass transit, much more then she has now. Otherwise a larger LA would become a nightmare.

Second, and this is the real long term problem I think, she needs a much larger fresh water supply and it needs to be a dependable supply year after year.

The real question is, do you really want LA to grow larger then it is now? I mean from a QOL perspective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City