Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 02:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,873,701 times

Advertisements

I posted on here to show California and L.A's accomplishment through the years.

Yeah of course The Northeast will have a Larger Economy than the State of California since it's combining other cities from other states all rolled into one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
Of course CA is the larger economic powerhouse compared to NYS. California has like double the population of NYS. The only economic engine in New York is the downstate area. But the Northeast Corridor is a larger economic powerhouse than the California (and the west Coast). California cannot compare to DC, Philly, NYC, and Boston in economic terms. And Providence, Hartford, Newark, Jersey City, Trenton, Princeton, Allentown/Lehigh Valley, Wilmington, and Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 02:11 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I've never claimed to Asian. LOL

Hmmmm...I was pretty sure it was you.

Last edited by Enean; 02-04-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-04-2018, 02:23 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Schools: Northeast
Universities: California for Public, Northeast for Private
Urban Cores: Northeast (Even though I love San Fran!)
Diversity: Northeast
Shopping: Northeast
Restaurants: Northeast
Road Network: California
Traffic: Northeast? (Take out SF/LA and NYC/DC/Boston?)
Public Transportation: Northeast
Quick Getaways: Northeast (Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket, Cape Cod, NH Skiing, Maine, Lake Placid, Bar Harbor, Atlantic City, Jersey Shore, LI, Newport, NYC/DC/Boston/Philly/Baltimore, Saratoga Springs, etc)
Recreation/Parks: California
Airports: Northeast
Economy: Northeast
Job Market: Northeast
Housing Market: Northeast
Nightlife: Tie (LA and NYC)
History: Northeast
Museums: Northeast
Theater/Movies: California (I like Hollywood better than Broadway)
Art: California
Suburbs: Northeast (Metro Boston and DC are superior)
Other comments: Just California is kind of hard. Its comparing one state of 38 million people to a region of a country with almost 80 million people and 4 massive cities. So NE is bound to win more. Although California was not represented much in my survey, I still see it as one of the most well respected areas of the country.

Your overall choice: The Northeast. But if we break it apart... (DC>Boston>San Diego>San Francisco>NYC>LA>San Jose>Philly). SOme areas stick out and are more desireable than others. I think both areas have amazing cities and areas, but really its hard to say. I picture myself living in a DC or Boston suburb over California though.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:28 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawMan View Post
Schools: NE
Universities: NE
Urban Cores: NE
Diversity: Cali
Shopping: NE
Restaurants: NE
Road Network: NE
Traffic: NE
Public Transportation: NE
Quick Getaways: NE
Recreation/Parks: Cali
Airports: Cali
Economy: Tie
Job Market: Tie
Housing Market: Cali
Nightlife: NE
History: NE
Museums: NE
Theater: NE
Art: NE
Suburbs: NE
Other comments:

Your overall choice: Northeast easily
How you rated CA as the winner for housing markets is beyond me.

BTW, please don't call us "Cali". We don't refer to New York, as "Yorki", do we?

Old 02-04-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
California vs Northeast Corridor (NOVA through Portland). Which is better according to the following criteria?

I realize some of these criterion are hard to fill out for an entire region. Feel free to rank specific cities/areas within each region for certain/all categories.

Schools:
Universities:
Urban Cores:
Diversity:
Shopping
Restaurants:
Road Network:
Traffic:
Public Transportation:
Quick Getaways:
Recreation/Parks:
Airports:
Economy:
Job Market:
Housing Market:
Nightlife:
History:
Museums:
Theater:
Art:
Suburbs:
Other comments:

Your overall choice:
You totally forgot to put Climate on the list! CA wins that hands down.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
My overall choice is the Northeast, because I love big city living and not having to drive. Although sometimes when I have to walk 4 blocks to the subway at 6:30am in 5 degree weather through snow I wonder to myself why I haven't decamped for sunny California yet.
I'll tell you why: The cost of housing in Philly is still reasonable. In California, it's insane.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
California's diversity, education system, and economy are already being sold way short by people in here, and we're only on Page 2.....
Personally, I don't get the big deal about diversity. What diversity advocates usually mean is they want to live with people who look different but otherwise think just like they do. Meh.

As far as education goes, it sucks in both places. CA has terrible public schools, and has for quite some time. I'm not sure which one is better, but it doesn't matter because both are terrible.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:54 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,526 times
I wouldn't say CA has terrible public schools. There are some terrible school districts and some excellent school districts in both NE and CA. There is a list of school districts that usually rank some Philly suburbs as some of the tops.
National 2018 ranking https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-school-districts/

From A-,A A+, rankings, there are a lot of California school districts on that list.
https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes.../s/california/
If you lived in LA Metro (LA County/Orange County)
San Marino, Palos Verdes, Irvine, La Canada, Manhattan Beach, Arcadia, South Pasadena, Redondo Beach, Laguna Beach, Santa Monica/Malibu, Fullerton, Beverly Hills, Huntington Beach, Yorba Linda, San Juan Capistrano, Temple City, Calabasas, Tustin, Santa Clarita, El Segundo, Culver City, Glendale, Claremont, Burbank, Cerritos, Torrance

Many on that list from all over California that make the A grade.

Are there not so good school districts? Yes.
Some in the bottom are Compton, Lynwood, Inglewood, Azusa, Montebello, Lawndale, Paramount, and LAUSD.

Good school districts often equate to higher priced homes and safe neighborhoods with higher education attainment.
Bad school districts are generally the opposite. Low price homes, more crime, people with HS Dipolma or did not finish etc.

I was looking on how two of the largest school districts compared LA and NYC. Seems like LA groups everything as one and NYC separates them. The ones in NYC with same C grade as LA is in parts Brooklyn and Bronx districts. While most A grades are in Manhattan and the better areas of Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. But for LA I suspect the better areas are near the hilly areas like Bel Air, Palisades, Woodland Hills, Studio City, Porter Ranch, Encino, Hollywood Hills, Silverlake, Eagle Rock, Los Feliz. But the areas in the flats like Van Nuys, Boyle Heights, Hollywood, koreatown, South Central generally are not good. Philly also gets a C score like NYC and LA. Outside the city, the suburbs get great grades.

I dont think LA will change much in the future decades. Despite the gentrification and displacement of poor, I think a lot of poor are just being displaced within LA City borders. The suburbs outside of LA that got the A grade will retain their status.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:01 PM

239 posts, read 231,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You totally forgot to put Climate on the list! CA wins that hands down.
I didn’t put climate on the list because it is obvious who the winner is. I also do not feel comparing the multitude of climates in California to the basically one climate in the Northeast is very fair.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:03 PM

239 posts, read 231,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
I posted on here to show California and L.A's accomplishment through the years.

Yeah of course The Northeast will have a Larger Economy than the State of California since it's combining other cities from other states all rolled into one.
Yeah, obviously. I am not disagreeing with you; I was just comparing similarly sized regions, although the Northeast Corridor is significantly smaller (but more populous, wealthier, and maintaining a larger economy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City