Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:38 PM

239 posts, read 231,776 times

Advertisements

California vs Northeast Corridor (NOVA through Portland). Which is better according to the following criteria?

I realize some of these criterion are hard to fill out for an entire region. Feel free to rank specific cities/areas within each region for certain/all categories.

Schools:
Universities:
Urban Cores:
Diversity:
Shopping
Restaurants:
Road Network:
Traffic:
Public Transportation:
Quick Getaways:
Recreation/Parks:
Airports:
Economy:
Job Market:
Housing Market:
Nightlife:
History:
Museums:
Theater:
Art:
Suburbs:
Other comments:

Your overall choice:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 05:41 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I prefer Cali

Old 01-29-2018, 06:26 PM

159 posts, read 171,908 times
Schools: NE
Universities: NE
Urban Cores: NE
Diversity: Cali
Shopping: NE
Restaurants: NE
Road Network: NE
Traffic: NE
Public Transportation: NE
Quick Getaways: NE
Recreation/Parks: Cali
Airports: Cali
Economy: Tie
Job Market: Tie
Housing Market: Cali
Nightlife: NE
History: NE
Museums: NE
Theater: NE
Art: NE
Suburbs: NE
Other comments:

Your overall choice: Northeast easily

Old 01-29-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawMan View Post
Schools: NE
Universities: NE
Urban Cores: NE
Diversity: Cali
Shopping: NE
Restaurants: NE
Road Network: NE
Traffic: NE
Public Transportation: NE
Quick Getaways: NE
Recreation/Parks: Cali
Airports: Cali
Economy: Tie
Job Market: Tie
Housing Market: Cali
Nightlife: NE
History: NE
Museums: NE
Theater: NE
Art: NE
Suburbs: NE
Other comments:

Your overall choice: Northeast easily
Yeah. Why would you say California has better airports? In terms of actual operations or route networks/available airlines? Also, why do you say Cali is more diverse? I’m not necessarily disagreeing, but I would have chosen he NE for both.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
California vs Northeast Corridor (NOVA through Portland). Which is better according to the following criteria?

I realize some of these criterion are hard to fill out for an entire region. Feel free to rank specific cities/areas within each region for certain/all categories.

Schools:
Universities:
Urban Cores:
Diversity:
Shopping
Restaurants:
Road Network:
Traffic:
Public Transportation:
Quick Getaways:
Recreation/Parks:
Airports:
Economy:
Job Market:
Housing Market:
Nightlife:
History:
Museums:
Theater:
Art:
Suburbs:
Other comments:

Your overall choice:
Schools: The Northeast has many elite schools, and both areas have top notch and downright horrible public schools.

Universities: The Northeast (Ivies and many other top notch institutions), but California is no slouch either.

Urban Cores: This undoubtedly goes to the Northeast. Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, DC.

Diversity: Both are highly diverse, but a slight edge to the Northeast for having a greater variety.

Shopping: Don't know enough to care, but they both have huge selections of every price level.

Restaurants: Northeast

Road Network: California has much wider interstates, but traffic is horrendous. Then again, so is BosWash traffic as well.

Public Transportation: Again, this one undoubtedly goes to the Northeast. Four major systems where not driving is normal and not just for people who can't afford to.

Quick Getaways: Both have a multitude of urban, suburban, rural, beach, party, etc. options.

Recreation/Parks: California's better year round weather allows for more outdoor recreation.

Airports: Northeast- BOS, JFK, EWR, PHL, and IAD are all major airports with many international connections. You also have LaGuardia, Baltimore, Reagan, and many other multiple smaller airports. From where I live in Philadelphia, I am an easy drive to 4 major international airports, plus LaGuardia, Reagan, and others. LAXand SFO are great yes, but they are far apart and the only major international airports.

Economy: Both are relatively strong and diverse.

Job Market: Same as above.

Housing Market: Both are incredibly expensive and competitive. It depends on what kind of place you want to live in.

Nightlife: No city in the world beats NYC, but Vegas and LA are by no means far below.

History: Easily the Northeast.

Museums: Northeast

Theater: Broadway, so Northeast.

Art: Depends on what you consider art.

Suburbs: The Northeast has more established suburbs, but suburbs are basically suburbs no matter where you go.

My overall choice is the Northeast, because I love big city living and not having to drive. Although sometimes when I have to walk 4 blocks to the subway at 6:30am in 5 degree weather through snow I wonder to myself why I haven't decamped for sunny California yet.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Schools: The Northeast has many elite schools, and both areas have top notch and downright horrible public schools.

Universities: The Northeast (Ivies and many other top notch institutions), but California is no slouch either.

Urban Cores: This undoubtedly goes to the Northeast. Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, DC.

Diversity: Both are highly diverse, but a slight edge to the Northeast for having a greater variety.

Shopping: Don't know enough to care, but they both have huge selections of every price level.

Restaurants: Northeast

Road Network: California has much wider interstates, but traffic is horrendous. Then again, so is BosWash traffic as well.

Public Transportation: Again, this one undoubtedly goes to the Northeast. Four major systems where not driving is normal and not just for people who can't afford to.

Quick Getaways: Both have a multitude of urban, suburban, rural, beach, party, etc. options.

Recreation/Parks: California's better year round weather allows for more outdoor recreation.

Airports: Northeast- BOS, JFK, EWR, PHL, and IAD are all major airports with many international connections. You also have LaGuardia, Baltimore, Reagan, and many other multiple smaller airports. From where I live in Philadelphia, I am an easy drive to 4 major international airports, plus LaGuardia, Reagan, and others. LAXand SFO are great yes, but they are far apart and the only major international airports.

Economy: Both are relatively strong and diverse.

Job Market: Same as above.

Housing Market: Both are incredibly expensive and competitive. It depends on what kind of place you want to live in.

Nightlife: No city in the world beats NYC, but Vegas and LA are by no means far below.

History: Easily the Northeast.

Theater: Broadway, so Northeast.

Art: Depends on what you consider art.

Suburbs: The Northeast has more established suburbs, but suburbs are basically suburbs no matter where you go.

My overall choice is the Northeast, because I love big city living and not having to drive. Although sometimes when I have to walk 4 blocks to the subway at 6:30am in 5 degree weather through snow I wonder to myself why I haven't decamped for sunny California yet.
Haha to the last part! For art, I mean a community of artists and people creating/displaying visual works. The one thing I disagree with is the suburbs comment. I feel like New York suburbs are just so much nicer than LA suburbs, and the dynamic is very different. Just my thinking. I do not feel that all suburbs are the same. I do, however, feel that all Northeastern suburbs feel similar, all California suburbs feel similar, all Southern suburbs feel similar, etc.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:01 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,053 times
Schools: NE. Both are terrible, but i’m guessing NE is less terrible.
Universities: CA (better statewide/public university system)
urban cores: NE (nyc, boston etc.)
diversity: CA (more immigration, more foreign borns)
shopping: NE (euro luxury stores always go to manhattan first)
restaurants: CA (both la or sf > nyc; fresh produce year round)
road network:CA (more freeways)
traffic:NE (because of below)
public transportation:NE (everywhere)
quick getaways:CA (vegas > atlantic city)
recreation/parks:CA (weather)
airports:CA (because of so many smaller airports, not lax)
economy:CA (silicon valley is “it" right now)
job market: NE (i think it’s easier to find a job)
housing market:NE (ca is expensive)
nightlife:NE (nyc is 24 hour)
history:NE (east coast in older)
museums:CA (la/sf > nyc/boston)
theater:NE (broadway)
art:CA (more artists live in la)
suburbs:CA (orange county is posterchild for suburbia)
other comments:

Your overall choice:

CA

Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Northeast, not even close.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:18 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Schools: Northeast
Universities: California - best public university system in the country, by far.
Urban Cores: Northeast
Diversity: California
Shopping: Northeast
Restaurants: California - incredible food across the board. Outside of NYC the Northeast is not as consistent.
Road Network: California
Traffic: Northeast
Public Transportation: Northeast
Quick Getaways: California (Napa, Tahoe, Vegas, Monterey, etc.)
Recreation/Parks: California
Airports: California
Economy: California
Job Market: California
Housing Market: Northeast
Nightlife: Northeast (on the strength of NYC alone)
History: Northeast
Theater: Northeast
Art: For grass roots art scene and artistic/counter-culture population - California. For old school art institutions the Northeast.
Suburbs: Tie - both have excellent suburbs.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:39 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Schools: Northeast
Universities: California - best public university system in the country, by far.
Urban Cores: Northeast
Diversity: Not California (NE has much better diversity across the board, blacks, Caribbean, South America)
Shopping: Northeast
Restaurants: California - Outside of NYC the Northeast is not as consistent. (Completely false, so Sacramento and San Diego surpass this?)
Road Network: California
Traffic: Northeast
Public Transportation: Northeast
Quick Getaways: California (Napa, Tahoe, Vegas, Monterey, etc.)
Recreation/Parks: California
Airports: California (No. Northeast by far, the only air space that compares on Earth is the Blue Banana Europe)
Economy: California. (Bwahahaha!! this can't be serious)
Job Market: California (Again Bwahahaha)

Housing Market: Northeast
Nightlife: Northeast (on the strength of NYC alone) (again, I suppose the nightlife of SF, Sacramento, and SD are that dope right?)
History: Northeast
Theater: Northeast
Art: For grass roots art scene and artistic/counter-culture population - California. For old school art institutions the Northeast.
Suburbs: Tie - both have excellent suburbs.
Way off.

Also just seeing your Universities another Bwhahaha! Thanks I needed to laugh this hard tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City