Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater Boston vs. Chicagoland
Greater Boston 64 44.14%
Chicagoland 81 55.86%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 07:04 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,753,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I think that comment was meant to rile people up. Not worth responding to.
Unfortunately I'm often in that "never learn" category
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 07:34 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,338,136 times
Two great areas, but Chicagoland wins (albeit slightly) to me. Love both.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:01 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,834,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Unfortunately I'm often in that "never learn" category
Hahaha understand. I think he was trying to ruffle feathers. Anyone with a brain knows how incredible Chicago is.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Two great areas, but Chicagoland wins (albeit slightly) to me. Love both.
Agreed! Love Maryland as well, btw. Annapolis is awesome.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 PM

1,013 posts, read 895,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
So elites must come on the coasts? Gee, in that case, I sure am happy Chicago is inland. And if our elites....from Boston to Washington, from Los Angeles to San Francisco rule the roost and everything in-between is Flyover Country, then I've got to ask you: what type of dysfunctional and aristocratic nation is this that, first, we even have elites and second, that our elites are two narrow strips along the Atlantic and Pacific with 3000 miles of nothingness between? Seems to me that's a recipe for disaster...and a threat to all those "elite" cities, even New York which hardly benefits from being in nation so constructed. Everyone would pick their own time as to when any city was its greatest. To me for NYC, it would be the 1950s....when everything seemed to be zooming on all cylinders....you know, the time that elite, white collar New York was very much enriched by elite, blue collar Detroit.

But I'm getting the feeling you must be playing us on this one, Wizard, because I don't anyone could come up with something as crazy as "Boston is an elite coastal city. Chicago is not." which is about as absurd as saying "Chicago is an elite interior city. Boston is not."

Of course, as a Chicagoan, we being a fairly sophisticated lot, we hardly would ever look to Boston as a joke, or even suggest it isn't in the same "league" as we are. And we do share a lot with Boston: for example, Chicago and Boston are, by far, the most Sox-est cities in America. Besides, what you wrote says very little about Boston, which is a great city by any measure....but it does say a lot about you.

Interesting world we're moving into, Wizard, where The Greatest And Most Exceptional Nation The World Has Ever Known is pretty much melting down and imploding and has become an international joke, a laughing stock. The world's focus seems to be going back to the so called old world and the elite portion seems to form a line that goes from the Far East to western Europe, all the while we Americans duke it out in our small bubble, our cities taking pot shots at each other.....while truthfully, they're all in the same boat (and that boat has sprung a leak). Globally speaking, the Americas are kind of like turning into a backwater. It's kind of like this: London and Hong Kong are elite Eurasian cities. New York, out in the fly-over country that is the Americas, in not.

So me close by asking you to tell me the truth......Is your comment a joke?
Edge...do you believe that America, the largest economy in the world, is really a backwater? Do you believe that New York City is not the leading one or two cities in the world? I’m sure you’ve seen how people live in other parts of the world! I don’t share that if that’s what you’re implying.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:31 PM

1,122 posts, read 909,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
A number of people vote chicago for geographic location. I don't understand this. The main reason I hear is because it is centrally located and you can fly places more quickly. This is all relative. You can fly to San Fran more quickly but not London. I'd much rather be closer to day/weekend trips. If I want to see friends in New York I can decide now and drive down tonight. I can drive 2 hours to legit skiing for a weekend trip and 45 minutes to open ocean. I enjoy chicago very much as a city but it doesn't win geographic location.
Yep. Boston wins easily.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:13 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,840,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Yep. Boston wins easily.
Really? Looks like Chicago is ahead, to me.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:37 PM

11,949 posts, read 7,696,680 times
I mean theres far more people on here from Chi than Bos.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I mean theres far more people on here from Chi than Bos.
Eh, there are far more northeasterners than midwesterners. That part may work in Boston's favor?

But to your point, and in general, Chicago certainly attracts a lot more tourism based on raw numbers- Obviously, it's significantly bigger. So, I think the pulse of the US based on my time traveling, is that folks are more familiar and comfortable with Chicago than Boston, which lends to a familiarity complex. Typically, once people really traveling around Greater Boston, they are very impressed.

Either way, I like the poll/this thread. Largely non confrontational, likely because they are two areas with very very little to prove.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Really? Looks like Chicago is ahead, to me.
Think they meant from a geographic location perspective. The poll reflects more than that.

Relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City