Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 04:43 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,793,107 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati can certainly throw its hat in the ring.

The Reds haven't won a World Series since 1990 and even a play-off series since 1995. The Reds have won less than 70 games for the past 3 seasons.

The Bengals have NEVER won a Super Bowl in franchise history (lost twice in the 80s) and haven't won a play-off game since 1990 (even though they made the play-offs 7 TIMES between 2005 and 2015).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 04:45 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,454,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That is a perfect example of "make the data fit the thesis". They sort of just arbitrarily pick 1984 because it excludes 2 championships from the prior 3 years, and 4 in the prior 11 years (76ers and Phillies, 2 Flyers) While a city like Cleveland or Buffalo has the same amount as they did in 1970.
That makes me think of the cites of climate data to prove/disprove global warming theses.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,776,034 times
Atlanta is famous for better than mediocre teams that can't bring home a championship. Last year's Super Bowl has to be one of the epic chokes of all time. All the little things they could have done to secure the win in the last quarter and a half and the failed on every single one.

The Braves winning 14 division championships in the 90s and 00s and only one World Series win is almost as bad. Who did they beat? The one city with worse luck, lol.... Cleveland.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:08 PM

7,044 posts, read 8,856,150 times
Cincinnati and Buffalo.

Sabres got to the finals in 1999 but could not win even with Hasek in goal.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:21 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,154,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Agreed about the Chicago teams. Fans are very loyal, but the teams just aren't that great.
Chicago has the third most championships after NYC and Boston.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:55 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,631,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Chicago has the third most championships after NYC and Boston.
Los Angeles?

Old 02-06-2018, 11:56 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,631,798 times
I would say the bay area/sf, but then I'm reminded that the giants are the team of the decade and the Warriors are close to becoming a dynasty/team of the decade. And I didn't even mention Jimmy G and the 49ers. Maybe the bay area can become elite again.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:33 AM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Atlanta is famous for better than mediocre teams that can't bring home a championship. Last year's Super Bowl has to be one of the epic chokes of all time. All the little things they could have done to secure the win in the last quarter and a half and the failed on every single one.

The Braves winning 14 division championships in the 90s and 00s and only one World Series win is almost as bad. Who did they beat? The one city with worse luck, lol.... Cleveland.
I would say Atlanta teams have more bad luck than they are mediocre. Atlanta teams always do well (except for the few years and the Hawks this year) during the regular season and usually has a team in the playoffs. What happens after that is something I don't like to think about often.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:51 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,908,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I would say Atlanta teams have more bad luck than they are mediocre. Atlanta teams always do well (except for the few years and the Hawks this year) during the regular season and usually has a team in the playoffs. What happens after that is something I don't like to think about often.
Sounds a lot like DC with its 20-year conference championship round drought (including the Expos for MLB). Especially hated are the Penguins for the NHL, the Dodgers for MLB, and the Raptors, Celtics, or, Cavaliers for the NBA.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Denver yet. The Avalanche, and they along with the Nuggets this season are pretty much the epitome of so-so with a spot at the bottom of the playoff picture and these teams frequently miss the playoffs. The Rockies have improved a bit recently, but they're still a C+/B--level team after being below that for much of its history, with no World Series championships yet in its 25-year history, with the Nuggets even worse in this department with no NBA Finals appearances in 41 seasons. Although the Broncos have been Denver's strongest team since the '90s, they too have dropped significantly from Super Bowl win just two years ago to pretender. Not quite as bad as Arizona/Phoenix or Buffalo, but not the greatest city as of late, comparable to Detroit, Seattle, or Milwaukee. The college teams also are mediocre to poor.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:08 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,776,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Spot on. I still get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think of last year's Super Bowl. The other one was the 96 world series. Took the first two games IN NYC, back to Atlanta with a 2 game lead and lost four straight. Only time has made that 2nd place in my mind to the Falcons of last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City