Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City With 2nd Most Foot Traffic B/W US and Canada
Chicago 62 65.96%
Toronto 32 34.04%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:10 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,149,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Market Street in SF had the highest pedestrian traffic, not in NYC, of any of the cities in the US that people found in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...t-traffic.html

Actually, Pier 39 had the highest traffic of any place, but Market was higher than any other street found. Here is the (now outdated, numbers are higher), Market Street study: http://www.bettermarketstreetsf.org/...reetReport.pdf
I thought this is about Chicago and Toronto. How did SF come in again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 04:18 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,149,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
LOL! I've walked the length of Yonge, from the lake to Eglinton or thereabouts, many times, and there is no stretch of Yonge that has comparable pedestrian flow as in peak intersections of downtown SF.
Wait, so let me get this straight - as someone who has visited Toronto maybe once or twice - you somehow walked 7.6 km of Yonge Street "many times" on foot? Am I hearing this correctly?

Just FYI, it takes about 1 hr and 45 minutes to walk that entire stretch on foot, and you allegedly did it "many times" as a tourist.

Most intriguing. You must be totally crushing your Fitbit.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:49 PM

520 posts, read 605,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I thought this is about Chicago and Toronto. How did SF come in again?
Because the title is which US/Canadian city has the 2nd most foot traffic (after NYC). Many people think that might be SF, not Chicago or Toronto (as that previous thread, also about foot traffic suggested).

Old 02-05-2018, 05:21 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,224,099 times
Yonge and Dundas sees an annual average of approx. 100,000 pedestrians per day, but it's obviously lower in the winter and higher in the warms months. A nice summer day can see over 150,000 people walk through the intersection.

Times Square sees 300,000 - 450,000 people a day depending on the time of year.

Anyone who says that downtown Toronto isn't as busy as Chicago or SF obviously hasn't spent enough time in the city to see what it's like to try and walk around there on a daily basis, it's often packed to the point of annoyance and getting busier every year with thousands of new residents moving to the core due to the condo boom. The number of new units being built and completed in downtown Toronto every year is incredible, far beyond that of Chicago or SF.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:28 PM

615 posts, read 593,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Yonge and Dundas sees an annual average of approx. 100,000 pedestrians per day, but it's obviously lower in the winter and higher in the warms months. A nice summer day can see over 150,000 people walk through the intersection.

Times Square sees 300,000 - 450,000 people a day depending on the time of year.

Anyone who says that downtown Toronto isn't as busy as Chicago or SF obviously hasn't spent enough time in the city to see what it's like to try and walk around there on a daily basis, it's often packed to the point of annoyance and getting busier every year with thousands of new residents moving to the core due to the condo boom. The number of new units being built and completed in downtown Toronto every year is incredible, far beyond that of Chicago or SF.
Based on that other thread SF Market st gets 50k.
Michigan Ave gets 40k.

Market st is nothing compared to that stretch of Yonge and even other streets in Toronto's core. This is evident as soon as you visit them.

Even obvious from this YouTube video which compares both streets.

https://youtu.be/f8_993COq_I

Old 02-05-2018, 06:43 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,843,733 times
Day, week, year, time of day, time of week, time of year....all impact pedestrian presence. Holidays, special events, sports, games...all impact pedestrian presence. Chances are, comparisons are not apples to apples. If it's a beautiful, sunny day in Chicago, people are at the beach, or running, biking, etc., along Lake Michigan. Like I said, apples to apples.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:01 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,340,689 times
There have also been no actual data or references in this thread other than a YouTube video...

Old 02-05-2018, 07:03 PM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
I think all the yammering means that there are a group of cities in pretty close contention. It’ll likely be a while before any one of these makes an obvious and nearly inarguable separation from the pack and by that time, it might even go to a dark horse candidate.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:31 PM

520 posts, read 605,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Based on that other thread SF Market st gets 50k.
Michigan Ave gets 40k.

Market st is nothing compared to that stretch of Yonge and even other streets in Toronto's core. This is evident as soon as you visit them.

Even obvious from this YouTube video which compares both streets.

https://youtu.be/f8_993COq_I
Yonge may be busier but that video doesn't show Market Street. The Market pedestrian counts are also from 2010, so should be higher now. I would also caution against comparing pedestrian counts, given wildly different methodologies.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,843,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Yonge may be busier but that video doesn't show Market Street. The Market pedestrian counts are also from 2010, so should be higher now. I would also caution against comparing pedestrian counts, given wildly different methodologies.
pssst...San Francisco references were just deleted...it's not about SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City