Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city for us?
Indianapolis 16 18.18%
Columbus 14 15.91%
Louisville 10 11.36%
Pittsburgh 33 37.50%
Cincinnati 13 14.77%
Other [please specify] 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:52 AM

11,060 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I said none of the cities are incredibly diverse (which is true).

NOW with that the only outlier is Cincinnati. It has the largest margin of measurable differences in racial diversity.

Pittsburgh - Louisville - Columbus - Indianapolis all basically have the same ratio of diversity. If you look at the census data, there is NO SIGNIFICANT differences in racial diversity among those 4.

In terms of ethnic diversity, Pittsburgh comes out on top, historically and present day.

I would say Pittsburgh has the most advanced eds/meds/tech sector of all the cities listed, and the amount of ethnic and international diversity in the city right now, can in many ways match some East Coast city standards.

This is why Pittsburgh is often referred to as a city that captures the sophistication of the East Coast, but holds the civility of the mid - west.

With that I really do like Cincinnati and that would 100% be my #2 on this list!!!!!!
Ah yes, Diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 PM

160 posts, read 155,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
The OP clearly says in their post they hate the heat and humidity and enjoy the snow so I doubt they would have any issues with Pittsburgh, as it is the snowiest and has the least amount of 90+ degree days of any of the five cities on the list. I don't get why one or two have said Louisville would be fine for the OP weather wise when it's the hottest and least snowy of the five cities, by far. Also, Pittsburgh is not the worst with extreme cold on the list as Indianapolis features the most below zero nights on average per year as it is a little closer to the Arctic plunges that get their starts in the Canadian Prairies and usually moderate a little the further east they get.

They say they hate heat and humidity but never said anything about winter. If a nice summer without humidity is what they are after, it's hands down Pittsburgh. All three others have a much hotter, more humid summer, especially Louisville.
I looked up the average temperatures for all four cities, plus Raleigh.

Raleigh: 60.8
Louisville: 58.6
Cincinnati: 54.6
Indianapolis: 53.8
Pittsburgh: 51.8
Atlanta, GA: 62.4 (Included to show what a city of the south for comparison.)

What's interesting is that Indy and Pittsburgh are about as close in average temperature as Raleigh and Louisville. Indy is warmer that Pittsburgh in every month except the coldest three--December through February. If you can handle a winter in Pittsburgh, you can handle one in Indy. But Indy's summer is notably warmer---and that's what the OP is trying to steer away from. This to me would make Louisville and automatic no. But there is more that weather to consider when relocating.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:55 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndindy View Post
They say they hate heat and humidity but never said anything about winter. If a nice summer without humidity is what they are after, it's hands down Pittsburgh. All three others have a much hotter, more humid summer, especially Louisville.

What's interesting is that Indy and Pittsburgh are about as close in average temperature as Raleigh and Louisville. Indy is warmer that Pittsburgh in every month except the coldest three--December through February. If you can handle a winter in Pittsburgh, you can handle one in Indy. But Indy's summer is notably warmer---and that's what the OP is trying to steer away from. This to me would make Louisville and automatic no. But there is more that weather to consider when relocating.
Itd be interesting to see how winter windchill factors would affect this, for example I'd think they would be worse in Indy than in Pittsburgh. People are worried more about driving, parking on hills in Pittsburgh more so than biting cold from wind and freezing temps. And of course the inevitable "parking chairs" in Pittsburgh. Philadelphians know all about this, too.

Last edited by _Buster; 02-15-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 10:03 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndindy View Post

They said this about weather in their first post:

Quote:
Weather (dislike heat/humidity, enjoy snow but not sub 0 temps)
As you said though, Pittsburgh is a little warmer in the winter months than Indy, but it also gets 16 more inches of snow in a winter than them so winter wise Pittsburgh would be more of a place for them if they want snow but less extreme cold.

With summer, in terms of 90 degree days a year based off this site (https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/90_...ys_us_cities):

Pittsburgh- 8
Columbus- 16
Indianapolis- 17
Cincinnati- 19
Louisville- 31

The difference between Louisville and Cincy is surprising to me as they are only a 100 mile drive from each other. Pittsburgh's much lower number is due to it being at a high elevation for a large Eastern US city along with being the furthest north (albeit not much north of Columbus and Indy). In terms of 90 degree days for a large American city, Pittsburgh ranks as one of the lowest I believe.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 02-17-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-17-2018, 10:11 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Itd be interesting to see how winter windchill factors would affect this, for example I'd think they would be worse in Indy than in Pittsburgh. People are worried more about driving, parking on hills in Pittsburgh more so than biting cold from wind and freezing temps. And of course the inevitable "parking chairs" in Pittsburgh. Philadelphians know all about this, too.
I agree with you, when I think of bigger winter impacts, I think more of the snow side than the extreme cold usually (this winter was a notable exception though) and I imagine this applies to most eastern cities too. When I think of the extreme cold, cities west of Pittsburgh, not east usually come to mind.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:21 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
They said this about weather in their first post:

As you said though, Pittsburgh is a little warmer in the winter months than Indy, but it also gets 16 more inches of snow in a winter than them so winter wise Pittsburgh would be more of a place for them if they want snow but less extreme cold.

With summer, in terms of 90 degree days a year based off this site (https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/90_...ys_us_cities):

Pittsburgh- 8
Columbus- 16
Indianapolis- 17
Cincinnati- 19
Louisville- 31

The difference between Louisville and Cincy is surprising to me as they are only a 100 mile drive from each other. Pittsburgh's much lower number is due to it being at a high elevation for a large Eastern US city along with being the furthest north (albeit not much north of Columbus and Indy). In terms of 90 degree days for a large American city, Pittsburgh ranks as one of the lowest I believe.
Louisville sits in a river valley and the area where they measure temperatures is surrounded by a TON of concrete. In Cincinnati, the airport is actually in Kentucky and has a few more rolling hills around and MUCH more green, thus causing a lower urban heat island effect.

Louisville also is at the very northern edge of where the gulf stream can influence weather...warm air travels up the Mississippi and settles in the lower ohio river valley. In the 1800s, wealth New Orleans folks found Louisville a comfortable "summer resort town" for this reason as it reminded them of home but more cool days."

Here is a neighborhood completely gone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Point,_Louisville

Please note that wiki article is old and the area is now built up out of the flood plain and has 300 upscale midrise apartments and twin 10 story towers are under construction there (the first one anyways).

What many don't know is many of Louisville's most impressive urban hoods lied east and west of downtown and were 100% destroyed by floods. The 1937 Louisville flood was bigger than Katrina!

Old 02-18-2018, 08:29 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
-Job Market: Marketing? Columbus or Cincinnati likely edge Pittsburgh out here. Meds? Pittsburgh—in a landslide. UPMC is in rapid growth mode.

I seriously doubt you can prove that statement. If it is ahead then it would be by the slimmest of margins.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 AM

160 posts, read 155,600 times
The difference between Louisville and Cincy is surprising to me as they are only a 100 mile drive from each other. Pittsburgh's much lower number is due to it being at a high elevation for a large Eastern US city along with being the furthest north (albeit not much north of Columbus and Indy). In terms of 90 degree days for a large American city, Pittsburgh ranks as one of the lowest I believe.[/quote]

If you are relocating, so many factor come before weather, though weather is important. City design, amenities, employment opportunities and cost should be far ahead of 90 degree summer days, or 4 nights below 0 instead of 2. Can anyone tell the difference between -2 and 2? It's cold no matter what.

Assuming the OP has the employment area figured out and everything costs roughly the same, then you get into city design and weather. Winter weather in the midwest is highly variable, and if you are moving from North Carolina, you will notice a difference if you relocate to any of the cities discussed, even Louisville. Pittsburgh has the mildest summer, but snowiest winter, and **almost** the coldest winter.

How people live and what they value probably determines how they experience winter as well. Do you miss spending time outside? Do you have indoor activities that occupy your time? Can you park your car indoors? How often do you have to drive? Can you telecommute? How well does the city handle winter weather?

Old 02-20-2018, 10:28 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:

Pittsburgh- 8
Columbus- 16
Indianapolis- 17
Cincinnati- 19
Louisville- 31
The average in Pittsburgh since 1980 is actually 10 days, not eight. A lot of climate data websites seem to low-ball that average for some reason. My guess is either that they're using data from the Allegheny County Airport instead of Pittsburgh International Airport, or they're still including the 1970s in the average, with its glaring absence of heat. Nonetheless, Pittsburgh is definitely the least prone to extreme heat of all those cities.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:37 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
This one seems like a no-brainer to me; Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City