Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What group of cities does Dallas have more in common with
Group A 69 53.08%
Group B 61 46.92%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times

Advertisements

Dallas shares similarities with the other Texas cities as well as northern Louisiana, Southwest Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Dallas being like Atlanta simply because they are fast growing is like Austin being like Charlotte or Seattle because they are fast growing. Not much weight there. Dallas doesn't feel similar to Atlanta at all. After the other Texas cities I think it feels closer to OKC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 11:05 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Dallas shares similarities with the other Texas cities as well as northern Louisiana, Southwest Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Dallas being like Atlanta simply because they are fast growing is like Austin being like Charlotte or Seattle because they are fast growing. Not much weight there. Dallas doesn't feel similar to Atlanta at all. After the other Texas cities I think it feels closer to OKC.
Remember, the point of comparison here is only about the cities listed in the original post, not in general.

Atlanta is probably being mentioned, not only because they are by far the biggest metros on this list, both being in the Sunbelt experiencing rapid growth, but because they also have some similar core industries like logistics/transportation/telecommunications, are huge magnets for corporate expansions and relocations, and are both known to be "flashy" cities to some extent. Of the listed cities, certainly OKC is the most similar to Dallas in terms of being in the same region of the country with similar local cultures, layouts, built forms, etc. but you do have to take the enormous size difference into account.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:33 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Remember, the point of comparison here is only about the cities listed in the original post, not in general.

Atlanta is probably being mentioned, not only because they are by far the biggest metros on this list, both being in the Sunbelt experiencing rapid growth, but because they also have some similar core industries like logistics/transportation/telecommunications, are huge magnets for corporate expansions and relocations, and are both known to be "flashy" cities to some extent. Of the listed cities, certainly OKC is the most similar to Dallas in terms of being in the same region of the country with similar local cultures, layouts, built forms, etc. but you do have to take the enormous size difference into account.
Regarding transportation, Dallas and Atlanta also share very strong Aviation heritage as well. Not just Southwest/Braniff (and American HQ'd in Ft. Worth), but aircraft manufacturing as well. They were also both huge railroad hubs. While I think the cities are pretty different in a lot of ways, the similarities they share are quite strong, especially considering they're almost 800 miles apart.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:45 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
OKC and Dallas are nothing alike. In fact when I go down to Dallas from OKC, I find it hard to believe that two places that are so different can be so close. Going to Dallas from OKC is literally like jumping in a time machine and going forward in time 30 years. Fort Worth as well as fringe DFW suburbs like Denton have somewhat of an OKC feel but Dallas is another world.

I would say Dallas compares fairly well with Charlotte, Atlanta, and Nashville but not so much Memphis. I used to live in Charlotte and to me Dallas has a similar feel. I would classify it as "new South."

Old 02-12-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
OKC and Dallas are nothing alike. In fact when I go down to Dallas from OKC, I find it hard to believe that two places that are so different can be so close. Going to Dallas from OKC is literally like jumping in a time machine and going forward in time 30 years.
So the geography, layout, weather, local accents, regional cuisines, etc. don't count?

Old 02-12-2018, 11:57 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So the geography, layout, weather, local accents, regional cuisines, etc. don't count?
I would disagree that Dallas and OKC share those things in common. Fort Worth, fringe DFW suburbs, and rural Texas do but not Dallas itself. Even the geography is different. Dallas is arguably not even in tornado alley and is overall greener than OKC is.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:04 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
Bingo. Guys Dallas is nothing like those cities mentioned. Dallas closes kin is Houston.
This. Dallas is like a odd mix of Houston and Austin, I think.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:34 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAX_ View Post
I've been to literally every city I mentioned on multiple occasions. Dallas is very similar to Kansas city and other cities in the Midwest, culture wise
Yes! When I went to KC last year, it reminded me a lot of Dallas. The nice development of Overland Park reminded me so much of the northern suburbs. The rolling terrain of KC reminded me of Dallas; Dallas isn't as flat as people claim. Houston is FLAT. LOL.

To me, Dallas is more kin to Kansas City than to Houston, despite being in the same state. I would say Katy is more kin to Dallas suburb in Greater Houston, but other than that, TO ME, Dallas and Houston feel different.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would disagree that Dallas and OKC share those things in common. Fort Worth, fringe DFW suburbs, and rural Texas do but not Dallas itself. Even the geography is different. Dallas is arguably not even in tornado alley and is overall greener than OKC is.
I don't consider myself an expert on either, but it really sounds like you are highlighting every difference between the two cities in an attempt to portray them as polar opposites. It would be as if someone were arguing that Birmingham and Atlanta had no similarities whatsoever.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:30 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
I've always observed the similarities between the Kansas City Metro Area and the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Natives from the DFW area don't seem to like the comparison for whatever reason, but Ward Parkway/Volker Blvd along Brush Creek by Country Club Plaza looks a lot like Turtle Creek Blvd. Overland Park is similar to Plano, Olathe is similar to Frisco, Swope Area= Oak Cliff...Northland KCMO=North Tarrant County, or Lewisville...Lee's Summit and Grandview? Garland/Mesquite... Downtown Lee's Summit looks a lot like Downtown McKinney...Independence looks very similar to the older inner-ring burbs of D/FW like Garland or Euless...The Crossroads District is similar to Deep Ellum or parts of Fort Worth near downtown. The Power & Light District looks a lot like Victory Park...Old Westport is very similar to the Stockyards in FW...Crown Center has some similarities to the quasi-office park feel of many of the office towers along the DNT, Stemmons, and North Central Freeways...the newer shopping developments are a lot more similar to developments that you see in Texas and Oklahoma moreso than what you'd typically see in Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, or Nebraska. I could go on...

Even the airports have similar layouts with the semi-circular terminals (although DFW's are wider). KC is also sprawling along the rolling plains terrain, but it does feel a lot more Middle-American/Midwestern (with some Southern influence), than D/FW which has a lot of more overt Southern and Latino influences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City