Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 PM

1,153 posts, read 633,613 times

Advertisements

1. Greater Los Angeles
2. San Francisco Bay Area (MSA)
3. Tri-State Area(NY/NJ/CT)
4. Greater Toronto Area
5. Greater London

All groups excluding West and Central Asians are included for the criteria(East Asian, Southeast Asian, South Asian).

And black includes Black Americans, West Indians, and Africans.

Relations can range from influence, interaction, friendship, relationships, coalitions, or all of the above and more.

So, which metropolitan area do you think has the best relations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 07:54 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,790,842 times
Definitely not Los Angeles. Koreans and blacks don't get along at all.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:29 AM

234 posts, read 381,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
1. Greater Los Angeles
2. San Francisco Bay Area (MSA)
3. Tri-State Area(NY/NJ/CT)
4. Greater Toronto Area
5. Greater London

All groups excluding West and Central Asians are included for the criteria(East Asian, Southeast Asian, South Asian).

And black includes Black Americans, West Indians, and Africans.

Relations can range from influence, interaction, friendship, relationships, coalitions, or all of the above and more.

So, which metropolitan area do you think has the best relations?

I'll say the Bay Area is #1 then Los Angeles #2

Old 04-09-2016, 08:42 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,790,842 times
I don't even know how LA could be considered. For years it was the epitome of terrible black/Asian relations. I grew up there and at best Asian parents wouldn't let their kids date black kids. More times than not they wouldn't even let their kids hang out together.

If you're talking about Mexican Asian relationships, LA does well there. But not black/Asian relationships.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,998,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I don't even know how LA could be considered. For years it was the epitome of terrible black/Asian relations. I grew up there and at best Asian parents wouldn't let their kids date black kids. More times than not they wouldn't even let their kids hang out together.

If you're talking about Mexican Asian relationships, LA does well there. But not black/Asian relationships.
Depends...The 1st generation immigrants specifically from Korea def had a problem with Black People which boiled over during the Rodney King Riots. Their kids don't all hold the same attitudes as there parents once did, thank god. I mean....Roy Choi opened his new fast food concept called LOCO'L to Watts. He wanted to help a community full of blacks and hispanics that made a difference. Korean's have also elected black council members to represent them. In terms of dating and relationships. Yes, there are many Korean parents who won't let there kids date a japanese person or chinese person let alone a black guy. In my experience, I knew a lot of Koreans who didn't give a **** what there parents said when it came to that.

Read this article in the L.A. times that was published about Koreans dating in the age of tinder.

Black and Philipenos is the best relation. Then Samoan, Veitmanese, Chinese, and older Japanese as there are still older Japanese that still live in places like Liemert Park. I remember my aunt who went to Dorsey, her class pictures were mostly black and japanese people.

Last edited by jamills21; 04-09-2016 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-09-2016, 10:03 AM

93,817 posts, read 124,552,237 times
College towns may actually do good in this regard due to many Black and Asian residents and students being from outside of the country and are more likely to interact.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:03 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,499,545 times
Asians who were born abroad are not huge fans of blacks, from what I've heard many of them express. They're not huge fans of each other either. I maintain that the most bigoted language I've ever heard came from a Korean talking about Japanese people. It was shocking.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:14 AM

3,000 posts, read 3,115,708 times
This is a weird question, since most Asians in America spend their time trying to cozy up to, live among, and be accepted by whites, and so for the most part, otherwise very rarely ever deal with or interact with any other non-Asian groups of people. Especially not with many black people, unless you are talking about the Asian business owner types who normally set up shop in black neighborhoods.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:26 AM

36,671 posts, read 67,650,848 times
The Bay Area, specifically the greater East Bay( Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano, San Joaquin counties)wins this imo--perfect doesnt exist anywhere but the diaspora of asian and blacks in the East Bay seems to have occurred in the same physical locations.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:29 AM

36,671 posts, read 67,650,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
This is a weird question, since most Asians in America spend their time trying to cozy up to, live among, and be accepted by whites, and so for the most part, otherwise very rarely ever deal with or interact with any other non-Asian groups of people. Especially not with many black people, unless you are talking about the Asian business owner types who normally set up shop in black neighborhoods.
From my experience, Korean and Japanese( perhaps because of greater affluence) tend to stick to themselves far more so than Vietnamese, Cambodians, Laotians in the Bay who tend to live in closer proximity to Blacks and Hispanics-Chinese too sorta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City