Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City for a Fun Weekend (per criteria listed below)
Austin 40 45.98%
Nashville 41 47.13%
Louisville 6 6.90%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 01:51 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why these three cities rather than say Chicago, Milwaukee, Miami, Philadelphia, or Atlanta?
We’re looking for a mid-sized metro in the south that’s known for fun bars, good music, good food, and just a different experience. I’ve been to all of the cities you mentioned except for Milwaukee (although would like to go someday) and they’re great but none of them fit the criteria we’re looking for for this trip.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:48 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHofKS View Post
Friday:
Keith Urban at Bridgestone-14,000
In the case of the Keith Urban concert last night, it was actually quite the celebrity event. Keith lives in Nashville with his wife Nicole Kidman, so not only did he bring Nicole onto the stage with him but also Nicole's bestie Reese Witherspoon, another Nashvillian.

Urban opened the show with his groovy, percussive new single “Never Comin’ Down.” The progressive, edgy track is stacked with beatboxing and a building chorus that is a sonic match for Urban’s vibrant, angular stage and screens. From there, Urban rewound 14 years to pick up crowd favorite “Days Go By” and then brought fans right back to the present with his most recent hit single “Coming Home.”

However, home on Friday night extended past the single.

“We are home, finally,” he told fans. “It feels very, very nice to be home.”

Urban grabbed some binoculars and a spotlight and spent a few minutes reading signs audience members brought to the show. A sign that proclaimed love for Urban’s wife Nicole Kidman caught his attention and he brought the two women, who had driven to Nashville from North Carolina, on stage. Then he shocked them and the crowd by first bringing Kidman on stage and then her co-star in “Big Little Lies” Reese Witherspoon.

“If we’re going to be in Nashville, we should meet some Nashvillians,” Urban said, then asked Witherspoon how she was when she stepped into the spotlight.

After Witherspoon hugged the fans, she good-naturedly quipped: “If I’d known I was coming on stage, I would have worn a different outfit.”

When Urban asked if Kidman and Witherspoon wanted to sing, his wife adamantly shook her head.

“Oh my God, no,” Witherspoon responded. “We came to hear you sing.”

Then Urban and the actresses took a selfie with the North Carolina fans.

Later in the show, Kidman enthusiastically waved her arms in the air, danced and sang as Urban ripped through his stable of hits.

Another Nashvillian, Carrie Underwood, made an appearance later in the concert.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ent...wod/987452002/

In a city where even a school bus driver has a Grammy, there's more musical talent in a few square blocks of Nashville than most cities could ever dream of, and it ain't all country. Bridgestone Arena is the 12th busiest music venue in the entire world (4th busiest in the US), hosting 83 concerts in 2017 and over 714,000 ticket sales. And then there's also downtown's Ascend Amphitheatre, Ryman Auditorium, Municipal Auditorium, the world-class Schermerhorn Symphony Center (with one of the country's most prolific symphonies which itself has won 13 Grammy awards), and dozens of smaller clubs downtown that are constantly hosting concerts. And if you want good food to go along with your weekend of music, Nashville has a host of innovative and celebrated restaurants in what Condé Nast described as "one of the most exciting food cities in the country."

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 08-25-2018 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-25-2018, 11:34 AM

126 posts, read 142,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville also pulls it off. The PERCEPTION is only Music City pulls it off. You don't think Louisville has jam packed streets for NYE? A St. Patrick's Day Parade with 100,000 people day drinking in an authentic Irish Catholic city?

And so you are having a big weekend this week. That's neat. Louisville has large events every weekend too. Here's a big event tomorrow in Louisville:
Louisville Zombie Walk! – Official Home Of The Louisville Zombie Walk!
42,000 people last year and projecting 50,000 this year (one of largest such events in the country, for certain people, a huge deal). Nashville, to this day, doesn't have a historic neighborhood that can match the Highlands of Louisville, as hard as it tries.

Maybe the events this weekend aren't as big but I can find weekends just as big soon:

Sept 21 Donnie Baker Bourbon Hall ?1500
Sept 21 Hairbanger's Ball Mercury Ballroom 2000?
Sept 22, Maroon 5 at Yum! 20,000
Sept 22 Bourbon and Beyond: John Mayer, Lenny Kravitz, Sheryl Crow, dozens of other bands and an international food and bourbon festival ~40,000
Sept 23 Sting, Robert Plant, Counting Crows, many other bands ~40,000
Sept 25 Gary Numan Headliners, 3000
I am not even a huge music buff but lots of other small and midsized venues with bands I am sure....

This doesn't mention St James Art Fair Oct 5-7 will draw 300 THOUSAND people:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._James_Court_Art_Show

How about Breeder's Cup the first week of November? Should bring close to 100k. And there's a "few" festivals in Louisville in the spring , one of which Nashville will never be able to match in size and scope because it's unique to America.

I'm not suggesting Nashville isn't a great party town. For certain people, it's much more fun than Louisville because it's more concentrated, such as the pic of Broadway you posted. Heck, when I get bored of Louisville's more chilled out nightlife, I love to go to Nashville to live it up. But let's not say Nashville is the "only one that can pull this off."

Don't sleep on Louisville. It has just as much going on, it's just more on the down low about it, you have to know where to go (it's the least flashy city you will find) and I am here to let some people know about it.

Overall, let me say they are both excellent cities. I do agree Nashville is more known for the kind of adult party life you experienced in college, but that's not to say it doesn't have a great cocktail and dive/hipster culture.

And while Louisville is known for a great cocktail, hipster, and dive/mixology and brewery culture, Louisville knows how to throw down wild parties too.

Dude most of that is because of a festival.

Festival? Nashville doesnt't need no steenking festival.

Do you know why?

Well since you asked I'll tell you why.

Because Nashville....is box office.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:45 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnMill View Post
Dude most of that is because of a festival.

Festival? Nashville doesnt't need no steenking festival.

Do you know why?

Well since you asked I'll tell you why.

Because Nashville....is box office.
Nashville, seriously, get over yourself. Box office? Nashville is music city, no one is arguing otherwise. But who cares? What are the chances you see Carrie or Keith?! And wonder if you hate country music like me? Nashville is not LA. It’s a very nice, growing midsized city with alot to offer. But it’s offerings don’t blow away other midsized southern cities. Maybe in perception, not in reality.

Yum Center was 24th in the USA compared to 4th for Bridgestone...where is the pollstar data that shows list?
https://www.kfcyumcenter.com/arena-information/about-us
All the big acts come to Louisville too. Louisville isn’t a crappy music town, in fact, it’s awesome. It just pales compared to Music City.

Watch out Nashville, bc Louisville found it’s brand. Bourbon City. And it’s a brand only in its infancy. I run several Airbnbs in Louisville and have met several folks doing a joint Nashville/Louisville trip. Different towns, different vibes, both fun! The I-65 corridor is doing well.

If the OP wants something more unique and different, I think he should stick with Louisville. Nashville even prides itself on being a “southern LA.” If the OP wants to find a totally different culture, he should stick with his plan for Louisville. Speaking of Conde Naste, for years 21C among tops in the WORLD (still highly ranked in US), and Louisville is known for its under the radar awesomeness:
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/travel/...nast/90828370/

If the OP wants neon lights and waiting in line for a chance to pay a big cover to get in a bar with a country star, Nashville is his choice.

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-25-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-25-2018, 12:50 PM

26 posts, read 31,309 times
I think Peter gets it right in regards to the concentration of events in Nashville. With so many venues in close proximity of one another it spurs a different vibe and energy for the City... it can be pretty electric. A few years ago I attended a Stevie Wonder concert at Bridgestone Arena Downtown and he performed so long that various other artist in town stopped by just to get a glimpse of his performance. Dave Chappelle did two shows at the Ryman Auditorium the same night, crossed the street and did curtain call @ Stevie's show. I was thinking to myself is that Dave on stage !?! "Big Weekends" are becoming more and more frequent and I think Nashvillians are just excited this has become common place as this was not always the case. There was a time you would have to travel to Memphis or Atlanta to see certain acts.

I wouldn't compare Louisville's upcoming "big weekend" with what Nashville just experienced but Louisville is definitely a fun city. I haven't visited in years ( maybe 8) but I always found downtown to be lively and fun. Louisville is definitely under the radar for some people.

Just because:

Nashville-
August 25 Journey and Def Leppard
September 7 Jason Aldean
September 8 - Wine on the River
September 9 - Fall Out Boy
September 11-16 - AmericanaFest
September 14-16 - Music City Food + Wine Festival: Andrew Zimmerman,Tim Love, Aaron Sanchez, Johnathan Waxman
September 17 - J Cole
September 18 - Drake
September 23 - Maroon 5
September 21 - Music City Bacon and Barrel Festival
September 22-23 - Pilgrimage Festival, Jack White, Chris Stapleton,Lionel Richie,Dave Matthews
October 2 Florence The Machine
October 6 Kevin Hart
October 7/8 Bruno Mars
October 13 Childish Gambino
October 16 Twenty One Pilots
October 24 Elton John

Louisville-
August 25 Nelly
September 12 Fall Out Boy
September 22 Maroon 5
September 22/23 Bourbon & Beyond- John Mayer, Lenny Kravitz, Sheryl Crow, KEB' MO'
September 29 Martin Lawrence
October 10 Fleetwood Mac
October 17 Carrie Underwood
October 20 Keith Urban
October 23 Elton John

Last edited by Onxyknight85; 08-25-2018 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-25-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onxyknight85 View Post
I think Peter gets it right in regards to the concentration of events in Nashville. With so many venues in close proximity of one another it spurs a different vibe and energy for the City... it can be pretty electric. A few years ago I attended a Stevie Wonder concert at Bridgestone Arena Downtown and he performed so long that various other artist in town stopped by just to get a glimpse of his performance. Dave Chappelle did two shows at the Ryman Auditorium the same night, crossed the street and did curtain call @ Stevie's show. I was thinking to myself is that Dave on stage !?! "Big Weekends" are becoming more and more frequent and I think Nashvillians are just excited this has become common place as this was not always the case. There was a time you would have to travel to Memphis or Atlanta to see certain acts.

I wouldn't compare Louisville's upcoming "big weekend" with what Nashville just experienced but Louisville is definitely a fun city. I haven't visited in years ( maybe 8) but I always found downtown to be lively and fun. Louisville is definitely under the radar for some people.

Just because:

Nashville-
September 7 Jason Aldean
September 14-16 - Music City Food + Wine Festival: Andrew Zimmerman,Tim Love, Aaron Sanchez, Johnathan Waxman
September 17 - J Cole
September 18 - Drake
September 23 - Maroon 5
September 22-23 - Pilgrimage Festival, Jack White, Chris Stapleton,Lionel Richie,Dave Matthews
October 6 Kevin Hart
October 7/8 Bruno Mars
October 24 Elton John

Louisville-
August 25 Nelly
September 12 Fall Out Boy
September 22 Maroon 5
September 22/23 Bourbon & Beyond- John Mayer, Lenny Kravitz, Sheryl Crow, KEB' MO'
September 29 Martin Lawrence
October 10 Fleetwood Mac
October 20 Keith Urban
October 23 Elton John

A couple things. Bourbon and Beyond has dozens of bands. You missed Counting Crows and several other headliners. The food and bourbon offerings at that festival are better than Music City Food.

You can't count the festivals for Nashville without counting the major events for Louisville. Heck, I forgot about Nelly tonight because the BIGGER event is 50k people on one of the top 5 largest zombie walks in the USA. Different strokers, different folks.

Do you really think those are all the shows in Louisville? Rather, it shows your lack of knowledge of the Louisville music scene.

Here is just ONE venue you totally left out for Louisville:
The Louisville Palace

Sept 6 is Foreigner, Sept 7 is Old Crow Medicine Show, Sep 13 Buddy guy, Sep 14 Queen Extravaganza, Sept 28 Lauren Daigle, Sept 29 Kip Moore.
(and that's just september). You left our Mercury Ballroom, Headliners, and several other large music venues and many major acts!

It's a theatre like nothing in Nashville, and Louisville had 5 others that got tore down for various reasons. Several others (like the Brown), still stand.

Just like Pilgrimage in Nashville, Several of the best acts at Bourbon and Beyond are indie acts. Sept 22/23 is a heck of a weekend of music for both Louisville AND Nashville.

You mention Wine on the river for Nashville, but conveniently "forget" about Abbey Road on the River in Louisville:

https://www.arotr.com/

This is possibly the largest Beatles festival in the world!

And how about Waterfront Wednesday, the last Wednesday of every month...

https://louisvillewaterfront.com/pla...pk-ww-aug2018/

Great indie bands with crowds up to 20k on a WEDNESDAY. All along a beautiful walking bridge that is unparalleled in Nashville.

Look, Nashville is a great food and music city. So is Louisville. Nashville is not in a different league, it's only perceived that way.
Maybe a better analogy is Nashville is to Louisville as Orlando is to Cleveland. Different folks, different strokes.

And how can you list all those other festivals without listing the St James Art Fair, ranked #3 in the USA with 300,000 visitors, 1/3 from out of town Oct 5-7 in the largest (and most beautiful IMO) Victorian neighborhood in the USA? I have said it over and over again, Louisville is a sleeping giant. Exceptionally more important than Nashville until the last 30-40 years, Louisville has finally awoken. And how about business growth (mainly due to new restaurants)

Moderator cut: I edited the off-topic bit of the post. Please, stay on topic

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2018 at 12:21 AM..

Old 08-26-2018, 12:12 PM

367 posts, read 585,011 times
Nashville and Austin are a tier up from Louisville, so of course they have more to offer. Louisville does very well, when compared to other cities on its level such as Birmingham and Memphis. I would suggest Nashville over Austin and Louisville.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
Nashville and Austin are a tier up from Louisville, so of course they have more to offer. Louisville does very well, when compared to other cities on its level such as Birmingham and Memphis. I would suggest Nashville over Austin and Louisville.
I am not sure they're that much better, but yes, they are 50% bigger at this point and moving away. The nightlife is much more concentrated with 6th down to Rainey in Austin, and 2nd down to Broadway in Nashville (and like Louisville, both cities now have great urban neighborhoods full of hipster dives, cocktail bars, etc).

I went out last night for the Nelly concert and it was an amazing night. 20k people easily and 4SL was packed, a cocktail at 8 up, the best mixology drink outside Two Dots and a Dash in Chicago I have had in middle America at Limbo Louisville, then a quick Uber over to Barbarella Louisville. This is a nightclub chain based in Austin that chose to open in Louisville. Why? It's a great city, and we danced on three packed floors to 90s music until 4 am. Prior to this, we had started on Bardstown Rd for nearly 50k people dressed like zombies walking down the street. All this while folks from Nashville tried to insinuate their city was the only one with lots to do this weekend.

Louisville just feels more authentic to me, I don't know. Again, the best analogy I can give is Philly vs NYC. All three are VERY hot cities for young people right now, and all have a growth and energy about them. It's interesting seeing Louisville getting in on the act.

Modcut: Removed off-topic comments

Last edited by JMT; 08-27-2018 at 04:56 AM..

Old 08-26-2018, 02:47 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Austin

Old 08-26-2018, 07:19 PM

26 posts, read 31,309 times
Nashville-
September 7 Jason Aldean
September 17 - J Cole
September 18 - Drake
September 23 - Maroon 5
October 6 Kevin Hart
October 7/8 Bruno Mars
October 24 Elton John

Louisville-
August 25 Nelly
Sept 6 Foreigner
Sept 12 Fall Out Boy
Sep 13 Buddy guy
Sep 14 Queen Extravaganza
Sept 22 Maroon 5
Sept 22/23 Bourbon & Beyond- John Mayer, Lenny Kravitz, Sheryl Crow, KEB' MO', Counting Crows,Sting, Robert Plant
Sept 28 Lauren Daigle
Sept 25 Gary Numan Headliners
Sept 29 Kip Moore
Sept 29 Martin Lawrence,
October 5,6, & 7 St James Art Fair
October 10 Fleetwood Mac
October 20 Keith Urban
October 23 Elton John

Is this better Peter.. Abbey Road on the River is not until May..Should I go ahead and add the Derby and CMA Fest as well ? Do you really think those are all of the shows in Nashville ? Rather, it shows your lack of knowledge of the Nashville music scene. Just messing around with you Peter. I may respond to your other assertions later, eventually, maybe but keep repping the Great City of Louisville !! Seriously, if the OP decides to visit either city in the near future I think we have them covered on music events and Festivals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City