Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best smaller southern city?
Lexington KY 13 40.63%
Little Rock AR 7 21.88%
Huntsville AL 8 25.00%
Augusta GA 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times

Advertisements

So these are 4 smallish metro regions in the south that I rarely see mentioned on CD, they are all fairly similar in size. I'm wondering which is the best overall based on some of these categories.

1. Location
2. Friendliness
3. Economy
4. Downtown
5. Walkability
6. Scenery
7. History
8. Suburb quality
9. Growth potential
10.Weather
11. Safety
12. Where you would want to live

Last edited by Turnerbro; 02-20-2018 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 11:53 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
1. Location: Huntsville
2. Friendliness: Huntsville
3. Economy: Huntsville edges out Lexington with higher job growth, but has identical unemployment rates and population growth.
4. Downtown: Lexington
5. Walkability: Lexington
6. Scenery: Little Rock
7. History: Augusta
8. Suburb quality:
9. Growth potential: Huntsville
10.Weather: Little Rock

I would choose Huntsville overall because it has the most potential. Lexington would be second, and Little Rock last.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:08 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
None of these other cities are in Little Rock's league. LR is the center of state government, the alpha city in its state, the largest city in its state, the most valuable city in its state. Neither of the other cities fall under any of those descriptives...

Now, Little Rock has the worst location by far of the four. It also doesn't have the brightest economy or highest ceiling/future potential of this group. But it's by far the largest city and offers pretty much everything, plus some, that any of these cities can offer. Little Rock is definitely in a higher tier than any of these cities...

Old 02-21-2018, 11:17 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
None of these other cities are in Little Rock's league. LR is the center of state government, the alpha city in its state, the largest city in its state, the most valuable city in its state. Neither of the other cities fall under any of those descriptives...

Now, Little Rock has the worst location by far of the four. It also doesn't have the brightest economy or highest ceiling/future potential of this group. But it's by far the largest city and offers pretty much everything, plus some, that any of these cities can offer. Little Rock is definitely in a higher tier than any of these cities...

Agreed,,, I actually fell like Lexington is on a higher Tier than the other Two as well.. Huntsville and Augusta are more on the same tier levels, kinda but Augusta is definitely at the bottom of this one..

Old 02-21-2018, 11:19 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I agree that Little Rock is at least a notch above these cities but not for the reasons you gave. Otherwise you could argue that Little Rock is in the same league as the likes of Atlanta, Boston, Phoenix, etc. for the same reasons and we know that's not true.

I think NW Arkanas (Fayetteville/Rogers area) would be a better candidate for comparison but it's not like Little Rock is leagues ahead of these cities. It's still a fairly reasonable comparison.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree that Little Rock is at least a notch above these cities but not for the reasons you gave. Otherwise you could argue that Little Rock is in the same league as the likes of Atlanta, Boston, Phoenix, etc. for the same reasons and we know that's not true.

I think NW Arkanas (Fayetteville/Rogers area) would be a better candidate for comparison but it's not like Little Rock is leagues ahead of these cities. It's still a fairly reasonable comparison.
I don't think so, and the argument I was making was specifically referencing the comparison with these cities, not with Atlanta or Boston...

My reasoning was not exhaustive, either, just some first thoughts. I would definitely say Little Rock is leagues ahead of Augusta. Huntsville and Lexington are closer but neither are on equal ground with LR...

Fayetteville is a strong comparison as an in-state city. It's a city almost entirely revolved around the University. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation and has an exploding economy, and it's location right in the mountains is a plus for some. There has been a budding, friendly rivalry between LR and Fayetteville as the latter has grown over the last decade. They appeal largely to different types of people. I'm certainly no Little Rock homer but even if Fayetteville were on this thread, it's still more comparable to Lexington/Huntsville/Augusta, by virtue of size and influence, than it is to Little Rock...

Old 02-21-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I don't think so, and the argument I was making was specifically referencing the comparison with these cities, not with Atlanta or Boston...
I understand that, but cities aren't tiered based on their standing within their respective states. That was the basis of your logic as presented.

Just looking at two basic metrics, MSA population and GDP, Little Rock's closest peer would appear to be Greensboro and Greensboro isn't a state capital or the largest or most important city in its state.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I understand that, but cities aren't tiered based on their standing within their respective states. That was the basis of your logic as presented.

Just looking at two basic metrics, MSA population and GDP, Little Rock's closest peer would appear to be Greensboro and Greensboro isn't a state capital or the largest or most important city in its state.
Except I wouldn't have made this designation in a Little Rock vs Greensboro thread (and in fact we've had Little Rock vs Greensboro threads and I never presented this as a point of debate)...

These facts are relevant to the listed cities because they contribute to Little Rock's larger size and sphere if influence. These points are irrelevant if compared to Atlanta or Boston and Greensboro...

Old 02-21-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Except I wouldn't have made this designation in a Little Rock vs Greensboro thread (and in fact we've had Little Rock vs Greensboro threads and I never presented this as a point of debate)...

These facts are relevant to the listed cities because they contribute to Little Rock's larger size and sphere if influence. These points are irrelevant if compared to Atlanta or Boston and Greensboro...
But tiering cities is an objective exercise, not relative to the cities being compared. But I think we've beat this into the ground enough.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:57 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
No need to confine oneself to cities that are exact peers, that would get pretty boring. These cities are close enough, IMO.

The small number of votes demonstrates that they tend to fly below most people's radar. I won't vote because I haven't visited Huntsville. The choice would be H'ville or Lexington for me.

An interesting poll would be Fayetteville/NWA vs Huntsville vs Greenville as they are small cities that are really booming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City