Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better capital
Albany 11 32.35%
Richmond 23 67.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:35 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,880 times

Advertisements

Richmond's a bit of a hot ticket right now. It's a charming, historic city that's constantly on the up. We'll see how long the growth spurt lasts, but over the last few years positive changes have accompanied an upbeat trajectory. As an example, the city currently has approx 20,000 new units (in the multifamily market) in the pipeline, 1/3 of which are under construction.

Also, https://urbanland.uli.org/developmen...-mid-atlantic/
Quote:
...Whereas no metropolitan area in the region is posting the kind of breakout employment growth that markets such as Dallas and Atlanta are enjoying, there are bright spots in the Mid-Atlantic region, particularly for office jobs.

“The bulk of these high-paying jobs are in the D.C. and Richmond markets, which posted gains of 2.5 percent and 5 percent year-over-year, respectively,” Nordby says. “Both D.C. and Richmond have benefited from strong population growth by millennials.”

Richmond has been adding millennials at nearly double the U.S. pace since 2010. “Some people find Richmond’s success in attracting millennials surprising, but a close examination of the city explains a lot,” says CoStar Richmond market analyst Max Peker. “Housing costs are very affordable, there is a sizable local university base, and the entertainment scene is vibrant. Companies such as Amazon, Capital One, Nestlé, Facebook, and CoStar Group have established footholds in the Richmond and D.C. markets.”
I appreciate the median income, etc. stats people refer to, but NYS is still a more expensive state to live in than Virginia generally. And as much as I love Upstate, I don't really miss the weather between mid October and April. As an aside, if I were making a comparison for RVA and a city in NYS, I'd first look to Buffalo and Rochester. They just make more sense. Not that Albany isn't chill. It's underappreciated, but it's not quite like those others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 05:49 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Richmond's a bit of a hot ticket right now. It's a charming, historic city that's constantly on the up. We'll see how long the growth spurt lasts, but over the last few years positive changes have accompanied an upbeat trajectory. As an example, the city currently has approx 20,000 new units (in the multifamily market) in the pipeline, 1/3 of which are under construction.

Also, https://urbanland.uli.org/developmen...-mid-atlantic/

I appreciate the median income, etc. stats people refer to, but NYS is still a more expensive state to live in than Virginia generally. And as much as I love Upstate, I don't really miss the weather between mid October and April. As an aside, if I were making a comparison for RVA and a city in NYS, I'd first look to Buffalo and Rochester. They just make more sense. Not that Albany isn't chill. It's underappreciated, but it's not quite like those others.
I wouldn’t look at cost of living in terms of state, as it varies within NYS and NYC is the big reason for the state cost of living. Albany’s(the metro) has a COL around/just below the national average, while having economic figures like I mentioned above national figures. So, pay is a part of the cost component.

This is why I mentioned the core cities in the Albany area, because the multi core metro splits up the “scene” and all I mentioned was what the core cities amount to when together. All have seen their share of development as well. https://theurbanphoenix.com/2017/12/...ectadytourism/

https://theurbanphoenix.com/2015/08/...h-in-totality/

Albany, NY | Albany, NY Economic Growth & Revitalization | Capitalize Albany

With Buffalo and Rochester, they are one core areas with a similar population as Richmond. So, that would be a more tit for tat comparison.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-26-2018 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City