Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 06:18 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times

Advertisements

I personally like Chicago and LA more than NYC, so I guess those two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 06:43 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Yeah this is true I don’t mean to diminish Manhattan and Brooklyn. I live in Williamsburg and it has an amazing restaurant scene and that’s one thing I love about it. When I want a quick bite to eat alone and don’t want to sit down at a restaurant, or if I’m looking for something more ethnic or authentic, I often will find myself making the trip to Queens. Usually almost always somewhere off the 7 train. The only reason I ever take the 7 train is to find delicious cheap food, lol.
Do you ever take the J train or L train for that purpose?

Old 02-27-2018, 10:04 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Do you ever take the J train or L train for that purpose?
Yeah I guess I do. I rarely ever take the J train anymore now that I no longer need it for work (thank God), except to get to Chinatown or LES. The L train I use mainly for nights out in Bushwick or to go to Union Square or somewhere along 14th. It is good for the Chelsea Market. But out of all my trains, lately I take the G and the M more than anything.

Williamsburg obviously is a huge culinary destination neighborhood, but since I already live there I don’t need a train to get here. Tons of other people use all those trains to go out to eat in Williamsburg though so I see your point. It looks like there are 4 Michelin Star restaurants in Williamsburg alone. Surprisingly 3 of them are by the JMZ and only one is by the L train. I think my problem is that I don’t really do fine dining that much at all so I’m pretty much just basing this off cheap, casual food when really all things should be considered instead of only one or the other.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah I guess I do. I rarely ever take the J train anymore now that I no longer need it for work (thank God), except to get to Chinatown or LES. The L train I use mainly for nights out in Bushwick or to go to Union Square or somewhere along 14th. It is good for the Chelsea Market. But out of all my trains, lately I take the G and the M more than anything.

Williamsburg obviously is a huge culinary destination neighborhood, but since I already live there I don’t need a train to get here. Tons of other people use all those trains to go out to eat in Williamsburg though so I see your point. It looks like there are 4 Michelin Star restaurants in Williamsburg alone. Surprisingly 3 of them are by the JMZ and only one is by the L train. I think my problem is that I don’t really do fine dining that much at all so I’m pretty much just basing this off cheap, casual food when really all things should be considered instead of only one or the other.
I was curious because there is a lot of ethnic food along the J and L too. Although less variety than the 7 train of course.

And I think it's totally fine to judge a city's food off the lower to mid end stuff, that's what's more accessible and more likely to be part of people's day to day experience.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:08 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Who's to say that NYC is the "best city?" If were talking about CITIES after NYC, then it goes:

LA
Chicago
SF
Boston.

However, if we're talking metropolitan, then it goes:

LA area
Bay Area
Chicago Area

Old 02-28-2018, 05:34 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Who's to say that NYC is the "best city?" If were talking about CITIES after NYC, then it goes:

LA
Chicago
SF
Boston.

However, if we're talking metropolitan, then it goes:

LA area
Bay Area
Chicago Area
No one re-said NYC was best, best is subjective.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:06 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
LA and Chicago are so completely different they are impossible to compare.

If you want something similar to NYC, but not NYC, Chicago is the winner. Enormous buildings, huge core, urban lifestyle that is only better in New York.

But if you want a large, meandering metropolis, full of diversity, LA can't really be beat. It's covers such an enormous area and there is just a ton there (albeit more spread out).

The feel of the two cities couldn't be more different. You really can't compare them fairly.

I love DC, but the food I've had there has been inferior to what I've had in other major cities mentioned. San Francisco/Bay Area is loaded with fine dining restaurants, has everything you'd need, but their "average" restaurants are crap compared to Chicago and LA (at least in my experience).

This is a well-reasoned post.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:21 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Yeah this is true I don’t mean to diminish Manhattan and Brooklyn. I live in Williamsburg and it has an amazing restaurant scene and that’s one thing I love about it. When I want a quick bite to eat alone and don’t want to sit down at a restaurant, or if I’m looking for something more ethnic or authentic, I often will find myself making the trip to Queens. Usually almost always somewhere off the 7 train. The only reason I ever take the 7 train is to find delicious cheap food, lol.
I love the 7 train for that and it’s above ground section in Queens especially its meandering through Long Island City of late.

A topic with a poll allowing for multiple picks for best subway lines for eating makes sense. I think in addition to ones already mentioned the Q, N, and R are good contenders as well.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I was curious because there is a lot of ethnic food along the J and L too. Although less variety than the 7 train of course.

And I think it's totally fine to judge a city's food off the lower to mid end stuff, that's what's more accessible and more likely to be part of people's day to day experience.
Oh then I completely misinterpreted your post lol. I can’t really think of anything off the J train outside of Chinatown, but when I used to work in Canarsie at the very end of the L train, I used to love all the cheap Caribbean food. In particular the Jerk Chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I love the 7 train for that and it’s above ground section in Queens especially its meandering through Long Island City of late.

A topic with a poll allowing for multiple picks for best subway lines for eating makes sense. I think in addition to ones already mentioned the Q, N, and R are good contenders as well
The 7 train in LIC is really bittersweet for me. It is cool to ride elevated between all the skyscrapers. I’m very pro-development and I love all the growth there, but it’s not the same without 5 Pointz. The 7 train was always my favorite train growing up because of that. Now I get a sad feeling whenever I ride through Court Square.

Anyway another good one is the B train in Brooklyn to Brighton Beach for Russian food. I love to go to those Russian Markets where everybody speaks Russian and all the signs are in Russian so you’re not really sure what a lot of the stuff is but you just get whatever looks good and then they charge by weight and it always ends up being way cheaper than you’d expect. I love those places. And then what I do is eat the food over on the beach + boardwalk. That’s a good portion of my life in the summer.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Oh then I completely misinterpreted your post lol. I can’t really think of anything off the J train outside of Chinatown, but when I used to work in Canarsie at the very end of the L train, I used to love all the cheap Caribbean food. In particular the Jerk Chicken.

The 7 train in LIC is really bittersweet for me. It is cool to ride elevated between all the skyscrapers. I’m very pro-development and I love all the growth there, but it’s not the same without 5 Pointz. The 7 train was always my favorite train growing up because of that. Now I get a sad feeling whenever I ride through Court Square.

Anyway another good one is the B train in Brooklyn to Brighton Beach for Russian food. I love to go to those Russian Markets where everybody speaks Russian and all the signs are in Russian so you’re not really sure what a lot of the stuff is but you just get whatever looks good and then they charge by weight and it always ends up being way cheaper than you’d expect. I love those places. And then what I do is eat the food over on the beach + boardwalk. That’s a good portion of my life in the summer.
I think the J train might be interesting too in that regard, off the strength of Latin food in Bushwick and eventually South Asian/Indo-Caribbean food when you hit Richmond Hill

Semi related question, do you ever hang out in lower Bushwick? And do you think lower Bushwick's gentrification will further accelerate once the L train shuts down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City