Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 73 35.10%
California 135 64.90%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 02:34 AM

15,948 posts, read 10,517,025 times

Advertisements

I’ve been to all the major cities in Texas and many smaller ones. I missed Lubbock so that might be the exception that proves the rule. By and large, wild horses could not drag me back willingly to Texas. There is a scent of inauthenticity there. Even mechanical bulls are made elsewhere. My experiences in California (most of the major cities) have been much more enjoyable and generally positive. In just about every measure that matters to me, I would rank California better than Texas. That’s not to say that California is the pinnacle of human achievement or even the most preferable place in the country. It has serious problems that are being addressed. I’ve not lived in either places and don’t intend to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 02:45 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,272,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I’ve been to all the major cities in Texas and many smaller ones. I missed Lubbock so that might be the exception that proves the rule. By and large, wild horses could not drag me back willingly to Texas. There is a scent of inauthenticity there. Even mechanical bulls are made elsewhere. My experiences in California (most of the major cities) have been much more enjoyable and generally positive. In just about every measure that matters to me, I would rank California better than Texas. That’s not to say that California is the pinnacle of human achievement or even the most preferable place in the country. It has serious problems that are being addressed. I’ve not lived in either places and don’t intend to.
It's the trails that you left during your "visits."

Last edited by Texyn; 03-29-2018 at 03:39 AM..

Old 03-29-2018, 05:56 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,018,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Your last sentence just voided everything you said.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:18 AM

1,012 posts, read 764,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
I live in Texas but I am most definitely not one of the "Texas is the greatest thing ever!" type people. No, there are no mountains/hills or sandy white beaches, but I find parts of Houston beautiful. The residential area of River Oaks is filled with beautiful homes and immaculate landscaping, huge trees towering over the roads. The area around Rice University also has parts with the huge trees. You can see the streets on the each of the campus with the link below. There are some very nice parks around town, with my favorite being Hermann Park. Is this the most beautiful city I've seen. Most certainly not, but it's also much better than many think who haven't spent much time there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7195...7i13312!8i6656
Fair point! Analogously, I could find some ugly spots in San Diego (or LA or SF, but not Oakland), but the overall view is one of a beautiful city. In my opinion, this is not true of Houston.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Fair point! Analogously, I could find some ugly spots in San Diego (or LA or SF, but not Oakland), but the overall view is one of a beautiful city. In my opinion, this is not true of Houston.
Well. It is your opinion.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:54 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well. It is your opinion.
Ive said over and over again. 40% of Houston is a very beautiful and could go toe-to-toe with any urban place for its beauty. 60% of Houston is industrial and strip malls. Not much beauty on that side.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:09 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Ive said over and over again. 40% of Houston is a very beautiful and could go toe-to-toe with any urban place for its beauty. 60% of Houston is industrial and strip malls. Not much beauty on that side.
How do you define 'urban beauty'?

Old 03-29-2018, 12:46 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
How do you define 'urban beauty'?
Urban as in a city. Not urban and in dense.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 03-29-2018 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-29-2018, 02:44 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Urban as in a city. Not urban and in dense.
So you think Houston goes toe-to-toe with any city as far as beauty? You are certainly entitled to your opinion but could you show us some google street views of what your talking about because Ive been to Houston several times and I enjoy it but I wouldnt characterize it as able to go toe-to-toe with SF or LA as far as 'urban beauty'.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:21 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,272,781 times
Quote:
Ironically, the industrial activity is precisely in the area of the city where the natural scenery is most impactful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City