Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
New York City and Washington, D.C. 122 64.55%
Los Angeles and San Francisco 54 28.57%
Too close to call 13 6.88%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:23 PM

405 posts, read 475,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerswon310 View Post
los angeles is hands down superior to new york. Thus, la takes it.
yikes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 07:55 PM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
This is an interesting thread. At first I was convinced that NYC/DC would take this pretty easy. However, modern day "power" is much more complex than it used to be. Take for instance San Francisco (Bay Area) and their influence on technology ans social media. And LA, with its influence in media and culture. A lot of world changing power is being produced out of those two cities in California. Much more than people would like to admit. With that being said, New York and Washington still win this. At the end of the day, anything that happens in California has to be handled by the financial elites of NYC, and regulated by the red tape of DC!

Old 03-04-2018, 08:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
yikes
That's what I'm sayin'

Old 03-05-2018, 06:41 AM

1,051 posts, read 795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
"Legacy Industries?" ...Wall Street is still the center of American finance, and by extension, a cross-roads for international commerce and decision-making in a way that SF and LA simply aren't. This is liable to continue for the foreseeable future. At the end of the day, whether you're a corporate player in California or Idaho you still have to deal with NY and raise money on the markets there.
Wall Street is clearly very important in American finance, but Sand Hill Road leads in all of the important tech sectors. If you don't know Sand Hill Road, look it up. Most of the largest companies these days were started by SHR venture capitalists. Sure, once they decide to do an IPO they go to Wall Street, but this is the legacy part of the business. Interesting companies with technology or business models that will change the world go to Sand Hill Road these days, not NYC. This is the point I'm making about NYC being important, but no longer the leader.

Sand Hill Road is Now the Wall Street of the West Coast

Old 03-05-2018, 06:51 AM

1,051 posts, read 795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
LOL

NYC is the media, financial, arts capital as well as the retailing capital of the country. Also tourism and marketing play a big role as does advertising as probably a host of other things.
Hardly true anymore. Media is now an internet thing. Sand Hill Road leads the finance sector. Alphabet has the largest advertising revenues. Amazon is killing legacy retailers. NYC is important in the legacy parts of these industries but leadership is now on the west coast.

Add the following to LA/SF leadership: Music/movies, space exploration, electric and driverless cars, artificial intelligence, quantum computing,

Old 03-05-2018, 07:29 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Hardly true anymore. Media is now an internet thing. Sand Hill Road leads the finance sector. Alphabet has the largest advertising revenues. Amazon is killing legacy retailers. NYC is important in the legacy parts of these industries but leadership is now on the west coast.

Add the following to LA/SF leadership: Music/movies, space exploration, electric and driverless cars, artificial intelligence, quantum computing,
We can disagree and I understand where you’re coming from and SHR is very important. It’s kind of like K Street it’s immensely powerful as well. Enjoy your day!

Old 03-05-2018, 04:19 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Welcome back Kodeblue Killer.
Haha

Old 03-05-2018, 04:23 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,216 times
No way in h.eck Philly is better than San Fran by any metric that was most ridiculous thing I ever heard on here. NYC is the only city on the East Coast worth your time. I am not even a big fan of DC, I hate politics and US History is not my thing I am not originally from the states. NYC is the only city on the East Coast worth my time anymore.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:46 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
SF is not a "major global influence". Try again. People on here love hyping SF up it's very annoying, making it sound like it's in the same league as NY.
I’m glad you said it and not me. Folks put SF on a pedestal as if it’s a London or Tokyo. It’s a Shanghai. I‎t has name recognition, but it’s not a Alpha on the world stage.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:22 PM

567 posts, read 430,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
No offense to L.A and SF.

But there is NO COMPARISON.

There is only one NYC in the nation. And L.A is not NYC nor never will be. Period.

IMO Philadelphia is better than SF. Philadelphia and SF GDP are NEARLY the same. (Few know this or acknowledge it). ha

NYC - > DC (with Philadelphia).

Nothing compares to the bounty of the NEC in this country.
Being from LA, I don't normally defend San Francisco, but in this case I must. SF is probably the most beautiful city in the country. I've been to Philly several times and there's just no comparison. Their are no impoverished looking neighborhoods in SF. While Philly has plenty of seedy neighborhoods.

As far as LA, it doesn't strive to be like NY or any other American city. The only area in which you can compare the cites is in their greater metro populations. NY is 23 million in population while LA is 18 million in population. Both have two of the largest metro populations in the world along with Tokyo, Mexico City, London, Shanghai, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City