Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 08:16 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
20% of your CO workers come from the deep IE? Jeez. I didnt know that many ppl commuted from that far in the IE to work in LA proper. Let alone downtown LA.

I would expect that to an outlier percentage honestly

most that come from the IE don't go into DT LA, am sure there may be a few super commuters, who knows someone may be crazy enough to drive to Thousand oaks from there but that is an outlier

Its like folks that drive from Philly to NYC or DC, it happens but isn't anywhere a norm

LA has a lot of disparate job centers

I would bet far more commute to places like Newport Beach or Santa Ana etc.

haven't looked at the numbers

I would bet a significantly decreasing volume of 91 commuters either down head onto 55 or only continue on 91 to say the 5 or even the 605
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 12:43 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I would expect that to an outlier percentage honestly

most that come from the IE don't go into DT LA, am sure there may be a few super commuters, who knows someone may be crazy enough to drive to Thousand oaks from there but that is an outlier

Its like folks that drive from Philly to NYC or DC, it happens but isn't anywhere a norm

LA has a lot of disparate job centers

I would bet far more commute to places like Newport Beach or Santa Ana etc.

haven't looked at the numbers

I would bet a significantly decreasing volume of 91 commuters either down head onto 55 or only continue on 91 to say the 5 or even the 605
For the purposes of establishing an MSA, however, it doesn't matter how many in IE commute to Downtown LA. All that matters is they commute to LA County. 500 people in Riverside commuting to Pomona has the same impact as if they all commuted to Malibu.

And I do think there is quite a bit of commuting between IE and LA west of Covina.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:52 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,772 times
Is anyone else excited to see the census numbers for next year? I can't wait!

If there is anywhere close to the number of Puerto Ricans that relocated to Orlando as the news outlets say Orlando metro could very well have added 100k people. The most recent article I read said there were 56k PR who have relocated Orlando, and 200k in Florida. I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are, but it's going to be a site to see! In Florida battleground, Puerto Ricans fleeing Maria's destruction reshape electoral landscape | Fox News

Orlando is already the fastest growing metro in the top 30 over the last 7 years, and there's only 14k separating it from Charlotte in winch it definitely shall pass. I see Florida adding easily over 400k people probably more than any other state. It's crazy because Orlando, and Florida were both hit very hard by the recession what an unbelievable turn around.

The political balance is very nice as well in any other state I don't think Republicans would be showing so much love to a minority group.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post

If there is anywhere close to the number of Puerto Ricans that relocated to Orlando as the news outlets say Orlando metro could very well have added 100k people. The most recent article I read said there were 56k PR who have relocated Orlando, and 200k in Florida. I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are, but it's going to be a site to see! In Florida battleground, Puerto Ricans fleeing Maria's destruction reshape electoral landscape | Fox News

Orlando is already the fastest growing metro in the top 30 over the last 7 years, and there's only 14k separating it from Charlotte in winch it definitely shall pass. I see Florida adding easily over 400k people probably more than any other state. It's crazy because Orlando, and Florida were both hit very hard by the recession what an unbelievable turn around.

The political balance is very nice as well in any other state I don't think Republicans would be showing so much love to a minority group.
Yeah, as fast as Charlotte is growing, Orlando's MSA is going to pass it soon, and it's going to pass it in much less land area. The delta between the two metros has shrunk by tens of thousands this decade alone.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:58 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Wow, thanks for this, these are incredible. Gonna take a while here and look at them all.

Since I live in Tennessee, I looked at those cities first. The most striking about Memphis and Nashville, is how dynamic Nashville's growth is to Memphis' sluggish growth.

Also, a note about Nashville, I was thinking its growth would have been higher in terms of numbers. Definitely strong, but I was thinking the metro area would've increased by at least 50,000. But I'm sure the numbers will rise for next year....
A lot of the growth in Nashville is related to the tourism industry, thanks in part to the massive investment that was made with their new, much larger convention center.

It's undergoing an unprecedented hotel boom. Every hotel brand you can think of either just opened, is under construction or is planning a massive high-rise hotel there.

Korean Veterans Blvd., which didn't even exist 10 years ago and cut through mostly barren industrial neighborhoods, is rapidly becoming an "Avenue of Hotels."

Old 08-11-2018, 03:32 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
I think part of what's hurting Atlanta's numbers is the severe housing shortage. It has the tightest inventory of homes in the country. Only Forsyth County has returned to pre-2008 housing permits and days on market numbers.

Atlanta's inventory shortage is worst in this county

https://www.businessinsider.com/zill...-california-14

It speaks volume to the fact that developers post-recession only want to invest in the fastest of the fastest growing places, where they can maximize their return (meanwhile, before the recession, there was ton of real estate investment occurring in just about every modestly growing part of the country).

But still, the fact that it's still logging 90,000 new residents per year despite this issue is mighty impressive.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:11 PM

73 posts, read 115,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Yeah, as fast as Charlotte is growing, Orlando's MSA is going to pass it soon, and it's going to pass it in much less land area. The delta between the two metros has shrunk by tens of thousands this decade alone.
Get your facts straight. Charlotte MSA is 3198 sq mi vs 4012 sq mi for Orlando, or 3/4 as big in land mass. To put it in perspective, Orlando needs to grow over 67k annually to add the same number of people per sq mi to grow as "fast" as Charlotte.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroboi View Post
Get your facts straight. Charlotte MSA is 3198 sq mi vs 4012 sq mi for Orlando, or 3/4 as big in land mass. To put it in perspective, Orlando needs to grow over 67k annually to add the same number of people per sq mi to grow as "fast" as Charlotte.
Bring it on. Where are you getting your numbers?

Charlotte-Concord MSA: 13,123 km2/5066.82 m2, 2017 Population estimate: 2,525,305
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford MSA: 9,012 km2/3479.55 m2, 2017 Population estimate: 2,509,831

Orlando's MSA land area is less than 69% of Charlotte's. It's also more densely populated and growing faster.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2020 at 03:52 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 09:09 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post

You can feel the presence of the influx of new Puerto Ricans in the Orlando area. Almost everybody has a friend or family member that was affected by hurricane Maria.
As for the political implications Trump's response to the island's tragedy was repulsive telling them that they should have paid their bills and throwing paper towels at them.
Some of those who fled here are living in extended stay motels that FEMA paid for but keeps giving them deadlines wanting to end those payments. Meanwhile they feel like second class citizens because when Katrina happened FEMA gave the same type of payments to those victims for close to 2 years.

This comment from the article you linked above was interesting about the situation:

"Puerto Ricans WILL NOT FORGET the GOP that abandoned them!"

Old 08-11-2018, 11:21 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroboi View Post
The urban areas of both cities is a better way to gauge the actual density of these cities. Even in 2010 the population density per sq mile in Orlando was 2500, but only 1600 for Charlotte the least densely populated city over a million in this country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City