Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is most likely to get surpassed or at least pushed this century?
Mexico City 6 6.25%
New York 36 37.50%
Toronto 54 56.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 04:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
That happens. Says reply less on their comments. Now others PLEASE talk some on Mexico City and should be plenty for NYC.... But clearly it's secure I'd say?
I'll get back to you after I find the universal translator I have buried in my closet.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:25 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'll get back to you after I find the universal translator I have buried in my closet.
Try Amazon and then check EBay for one cheaper. What I do. EBay wins a lot. Sometimes WalMart.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal is definitely not shrinking or even stagnating, even if it won't pass Toronto. And neither will Vancouver.
Yeah Montreal's unemployment rate is the lowest its been in a long time and there is a resurgence in the city that hasn't been seen in decades. It also had the highest rent increases in the country which = hot economy. Hate to say it, but lower and upper Canada always benefit from a lower CAD dollar and a depressed oil economy out west. In any event, I have no clue why people think Montreal is stagnating and I think its resurgence is more deep than just better generalized economic conditions for the east - something else is happening.

Quote:
Try Amazon and then check EBay for one cheaper. What I do. EBay wins a lot. Sometimes WalMart.
Probably the cheapest bet would be Aliexpress lol. It just takes two years for the free shipping so we may be at an impasse for awhile

Last edited by fusion2; 03-17-2018 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 04:52 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Quote:
That happens. Says reply less on their comments. Now others PLEASE talk some on Mexico City and should be plenty for NYC.... But clearly it's secure I'd say?
Who cares about Mexico City and New York! Don't you see we need more Toronto!!! There's never enough! We should rename the whole website 'Toronto-data.com' since no other city is worthy of conversation.

We have Bostonkid, Fusion and Acajack falling into routine. All we need is Mr. Burns crowing about tree density and Tosin's 3rd grade commentary about how Toronto is great because it has the right minorities.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:33 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Who cares about Mexico City and New York! Don't you see we need more Toronto!!! There's never enough! We should rename the whole website 'Toronto-data.com' since no other city is worthy of conversation.

We have Bostonkid, Fusion and Acajack falling into routine. All we need is Mr. Burns crowing about tree density and Tosin's 3rd grade commentary about how Toronto is great because it has the right minorities.
Agree. Not enough Toronto talk, that too bad, where are Mr Burns and Mr Jun lately?

I’d also like to say that Toronto mayor John Tory is doing a good job,
steering Toronto in the right direction, good things are happening,
future looking good.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:45 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,227,638 times
Quote:
You know - I thought I understood English but I'm starting to question that when I read your posts. As for other posters not posting more about the other cities - they are most welcome. Perhaps because Toronto is not discussed often, whenever the city is involved it is discussed more often. I also don't think there are that many posters if any actually from M.C in these forums.
Ha ha, I was just thinking that when I was trying to read his post! I’m hoping that English isn’t his first language!

Old 03-19-2018, 07:07 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Yeah Montreal's unemployment rate is the lowest its been in a long time and there is a resurgence in the city that hasn't been seen in decades. It also had the highest rent increases in the country which = hot economy. Hate to say it, but lower and upper Canada always benefit from a lower CAD dollar and a depressed oil economy out west. In any event, I have no clue why people think Montreal is stagnating and I think its resurgence is more deep than just better generalized economic conditions for the east - something else is happening.

Yeah, that's one reason I am not getting the posters (more than one!) who are saying Vancouver could overtake Toronto. Because of growth in trade with the Pacific Rim?

Vancouver is a great city with a bright future but I don't see how it could make up the gap of almost 4 million people it has with Toronto. Especially when Toronto is growing by my people in total numbers.

Vancouver won't even pass Montreal I am almost positive. Again, in this case Montreal has 1.5 million more people and has been growing more than Vancouver in total numbers of new residents.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:20 PM

567 posts, read 431,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I can only assume this is a joke. Greater Toronto is triple the size of Greater Vancouver and Vancouver is growing by 30,000/year vs the GTA 130,000/year. Toronto is growing nearly twice as fast in percentage term and in total numbers Montreal is also growing faster than Vancouver. in fact percentage wise, currently Vancouver is one of Canada's slowest growing cities.

None of Canada's top 30 corporations are located in Vancouver, it has no national media, no national cultural centre, it has a relatively low income, has no manufacturing base at all, has very little influence on national affairs...........in short, Vancouver is only barely an also-ran compared to Toronto and Montreal. Toronto is the most important city in the country and completely dominates English Canada in political power, economics, finance, media, culture, social trends, academia and nearly every other metric one can think of except oil & gas which is Calgary's domain. The only thing keeping Vancouver going is the influx of dirty money from China in it's real estate market.

Toronto has nothing to worry about being $1 nor Montreal #2 but actually Vancouver does with the ascendency of Calgary which is already Western Canada's corporate centre.
Vancouver may not matter much in the Canadian scheme of things, but many Hollywood movies and TV series are filmed there. It's also an incredibly beautiful city. It was home to the 2010 Winter Olympics, which show cased, to the the world, Vancouver's splendidly natural beauty. It's also a big tourist destination for Americans living on the West Coast and Pacific rim visitors and has the largest Chinatown outside of San Francisco. As for Calgary, I'm sure it's a wonderful city but not exactly a tourist draw.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Mexico City has no rival
LA may come close to surpassing NYC, but certainly not anytime soon.
Toronto will be surpassed by Vancouver in the next 20 years.
Another, " no ".

Old 03-19-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Vancouver may not matter much in the Canadian scheme of things, but many Hollywood movies and TV series are filmed there. It's also an incredibly beautiful city. It was home to the 2010 Winter Olympics, which show cased, to the the world, Vancouver's splendidly natural beauty. It's also a big tourist destination for Americans living on the West Coast and Pacific rim visitors and has the largest Chinatown outside of San Francisco. As for Calgary, I'm sure it's a wonderful city but not exactly a tourist draw.
I certainly wouldn't say Vancouver doesn't matter unless you think the 3rd largest city and economy in Canada doesn't matter. It is a beautiful city and it does get very good visitation numbers. It is also a great jumping off point for one of the most beautiful parts of N.A. I also think it is more economically diverse and important than some have led on and yes its seaport is the most important in Canada and airport is the second busiest after Toronto's. Right now, it is solidly the 3rd largest and most important city in the country. However, I would say in economic influence, there is a greater chance that Calgary would outstrip Vancouver vs any chance Vancouver would challenge Montreal or Toronto.

In terms of Calgary not being a tourist draw - you'd be surprised! Calgary is the HQ of WestJet which is the number 2 airline in Canada and will start taking deliveries of 787 aircraft in the near future. WestJet is in the early stages of developing a global network and Calgary WILL benefit from this with YYC and YYZ as it global hub airports. Calgary airport is also a respectable 4th place and during the oil boom was actually the 3rd busiest airport in Canada so don't discount the economic and tourist draw of Calgary. Alberta like B.C is an astoundingly beautiful Province. The Rocky Mountain landscapes close to Calgary are a worldwide tourist draw - especially in the growing tourism market in China. They love that stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City